Being famous in the 1980s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Being famous in the 1980s

I see Gwynneth Powell in there, but not Todd Carty?

Also, there was another Paul Young (the singer in Sad Cafe and sometimes Mike + the Mechanics), deceased, alas.

Comment

Not to belittle your efforts here George but of-course whilst these people were indeed famous in the 80s the majority of them started their respective careers much earlier
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
        Not to belittle your efforts here George but of-course whilst these people were indeed famous in the 80s the majority of them started their respective careers much earlier
        They probably did, but I feel that atmosphere of the 1980s helped the people listed to be more successful than in previous decades. Play Your Cards Right feels better than Sunday Night at the London Palladium because simply PCYR was made in colour for example - we didn't get the "Brucie's wig" stuff in the 1960s, did we? Some celebrities don't find their proper niche until decades after they became famous.

The way I look at it is that the 1980s wasn't black and white just like two decades before, and wasn't full of Big Brother / I'm a Celebrity stuff like two decades later - the mix of the 1980s was just right.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Clare View Post
          I see Gwynneth Powell in there, but not Todd Carty?

Also, there was another Paul Young (the singer in Sad Cafe and sometimes Mike + the Mechanics), deceased, alas.
          Powell was in Grange Hill for almost the entire 1980s as Headteacher (save for 1980 and 1985 as Deputy Head) hence her inclusion. I can't stand EastEnders, so that might be one reason why Carty isn't listed - Tucker's hard luck, methinks.

I was indeed referring to Paul Young, whether he laid his hat, etc. And a prominent face courtesy of Look In Collect-a-Pages, Jackie, Oh Boy, etc on the walls in my sister's bedroom circa 1985.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

A few years ago before I joined this forum, I created a montage of different images of celebrities, television programmes, big news and sport events, pop videos, and even adverts throughout the 1980s - I started off chronologically and added some more at the bottom of the picture as time went on. They are mostly from still images of YouTube clips (some are no longer on there), cut and pasted, and even my avatar is included if you look carefully. I wonder how many images that you recognise from that decade... : -

(You may need a magnifying glass or even a microscope to see them in detail, but they are all images from the 1980s).
            Attached Files
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Is there any way I can make the image in the previous post just a little bit bigger?
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Once they had made their first million, buying a Rolls Royce with a personalised plate & posing for the press alongside it was very common.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

And being the 1980s, the personalised number plate was allowed to be seen on camera.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                    And being the 1980s, the personalised number plate was allowed to be seen on camera.
                    I notice that Alan Sugar's car in The Apprentice doesn't have the plates blurred out.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                    X