White Rabbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Rabbits

As it is the first of the month, I was reminded that my mother used to tell me that if 'white rabbits' was the first thing you said on the first day of the month, then that would bring good luck for the rest of the month. Even now, if I remember it is the first of the month, I will sometimes almost automatically say 'white rabbits.' Has anyone heard of this?

Re: White Rabbits

Yep, my mum and I did it too (singular, though - no idea why!). Also "Black Rabbit" for eom
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Yes, our family used to do this. I always thought it was to make you immune to 'pinch, punch first of the month' silliness..........

Comment

I've not heard of 'black rabbits' to signify the end of month. In our context, 'white rabbits' was to bring good luck. Why 'white rabbits'? I don't know, but perhaps something to do with a rabbit's foot being a symbol of good luck and the colour white as a symbol of light and purity, but that's just conjecture on my part.

It has also reminded me of being told never to put shoes on a table or open an umbrella indoors as these were sure to bring bad luck. I know that to show the bottom of the foot or shoe is deemed very bad manners in some countries and also to throw a shoe at someone--remember when someone threw a shoe at Bush? Maybe putting shoes on tables is a form of these insults that has been translated to bad luck in our culture.

Comment

I don't recall my parents mentioning white rabbits, but my late mother was superstitious and wouldn't wash things on certain days. I did think that she had gone mad when I was younger.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I agree..
            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

That's easy for you to say.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                As it is the first of the month, I was reminded that my mother used to tell me that if 'white rabbits' was the first thing you said on the first day of the month, then that would bring good luck for the rest of the month. Even now, if I remember it is the first of the month, I will sometimes almost automatically say 'white rabbits.' Has anyone heard of this?
                Indeed, indeed yeah - I still say it to this day!!

As well too White Hopaty's are such adorable little creatures (as can testify to owning so many of them)!!!

Comment

Heard of it but don't know where it came from.

Comment

Working...
                  X