Driving experience days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving experience days

So i'm 60 in may this year and i inadvertently found out that my kids have cobbled together to pay for me to drive an Aston martin DB5, being a huge Bond fan this is a very exciting proposal and one i am looking forward to. Apparently the DB5 is not a particularly fast car but i can hardly wait to get behind that big walnut steering wheel.
    The drive is only 15 minutes with a pre drive lap in a bmw to get the feel and the line of the track, has anybody done one of these track days? would anybody like to do one?
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Re: Driving experience days

I often see these "experience days" as novelty gifts inside the Argos catalogue and places like that - I think that the participant does need to have a valid driving licence so they can take part, even if it is just testing a skidpan, or doing a "Nigel Mansell" on a racetrack.

I used to joke that my brother in law could have done with something like that! (I used to joke about how bad his driving was).
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Not done that but I have done the flying one, in a single-engine Cessna
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
        So i'm 60 in may this year and i inadvertently found out that my kids have cobbled together to pay for me to drive an Aston martin DB5, being a huge Bond fan this is a very exciting proposal and one i am looking forward to. Apparently the DB5 is not a particularly fast car but i can hardly wait to get behind that big walnut steering wheel.
        The drive is only 15 minutes with a pre drive lap in a bmw to get the feel and the line of the track, has anybody done one of these track days? would anybody like to do one?

Yes. Got to drive a Porsche, Nissan GTR and Aston Martin DB7.
        Great fun, but over far too quickly. The Aston was the least powerful of the three, but was my favourite. The Nissan was downright insane and a bit scary!

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
          Yes. Got to drive a Porsche, Nissan GTR and Aston Martin DB7.
          Great fun, but over far too quickly. The Aston was the least powerful of the three, but was my favourite. The Nissan was downright insane and a bit scary!
          Pretty sure I got to drive all those in a PC game .... Sega Rally and Sega Touring car comes to mind ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sooo yes, tomorrow is DB5 day...will submit my full report on sunday

Comment

Red Letter Days is a company that does experience days of things like driving a fast car on a race circuit, balloon trips, helicopter rides etc.

I wonder what their insurance premiums on Joe Public driving the likes of an Aston Martin (as Tex will do) or a Ferrari etc is?
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I can now tick this off my bucket list, what a thrill to drive the iconic Aston DB5. Made famous of course in the Bond films Goldfinger and Thunderball and much later by Daniel craig in Skyfall and Spectre.
                The event took place in Wigan at the three sisters race circuit, other cars included the Aston vantage,(Quantum of solace), Ariel atom, Batmobile (batman 1960s era), Kitt (Knight rider) Lamborghini (Miami vice) Ferrari (Magnum) and the car out of Starsky and hutch?.
                So of course being 55 years old the DB5 had NO power steering, NO traction control nor any of the other Mod cons seen in newer cars, I was to do six laps which took about 10 minutes...but what a great 10 minutes they were!...Lets be clear however, the DB5 is not a supercar it is a gentlemens cruiser and speeds were rarely in excess of 60 mph which was fine by me. Inside the lovely smell of old leather invades the nostrils amongst all the toggle switches and analogue dials, the car was already running when i was invited to climb in which was a bit of a shame i felt, i tentatively pulled onto the circuit giving way to the Ferrari and the Atom, the drive is accompanied by an "expert" who advises the best line, gear, etc. I would have prefered a solo drive but i guess they have to protect the assets tied up in these cars (the DB5 is worth about £300,000). I am advised to leave the car in third and change up on the straights and back to third on the bends (it's only four gears) but plenty fast. No ejector seat or machine guns fraid.
                I will post some photographs when i can

Comment

Working...
                X