No announcement yet.

Watching musicals at the theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booked tickets to see Hairspray the Musical at the Empire Theatre in Liverpool on that "special date" in the near future - it has Norman Pace out of Hale and Pace in the cast so it should be good. As coronavirus might be almost gone by then, fingers crossed, I assume that it will go ahead as planned.

Will let you know what I thought of it later on in the year.

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Nice that you still consider birthdays "special" George, when you reach my age you stop counting the years off. Hale and Pace were very funny at the height of alternative comedy during the 80s, did Gareth hale die?
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Well, most of us will spend around two and a half months of our life celebrating our birthdays, so you might as well make the most of it, and I think that milestones such as 50, 60, 70 etc, are just as important as earlier ages.

I believe that Gareth Hale is alive and well - I just think that Hale and Pace are just doing their own things which is something that I couldn't imagine Morecambe and Wise doing. It would be nice to have them both starring in it though.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Having another sabbatical, hence the absence on here...

Anyway, saw Hairspray the Musical at the Liverpool Empire theatre on my birthday - as I was walking along Lime Street I noticed a very long queue, and it took me a few minutes that they were theatre punters, and to realise that it was because of the COVID restrictions and the theatre staff were going to allow them in one at a time. Everyone had to prove that they had both vaccines or had a negative lateral flow test within the previous 48 hours (done just after midnight on Sunday) in which I had with using a test kit with the details printed out.
          Eventually got inside, shown my ticket and the negative test to staff, and went to the stalls for the show - it started a bit later at around 7.45 pm because of the COVID checks and all that.

Norman "Hale and..." Pace was great with an American accent, (I am certain that I have seen him in Hale and Pace sketches where he plays American Wild West-type characters), and so was the (male) actor who played the sub-Wishee Washee role as well.

Unfortunately apart from the programmes, there were no souvenirs for sale. "We weren't given any", a staff member said when I asked at the interval. No mugs or fridge magnets, which was a pity. Because of the late start, the interval and the second half was later as well, and it didn't properly end until around 10.10 pm, some 15 or 20 minutes afterwards.

Might try for Chicago next year if they can extend to August - I know that it has been extended to July. Mama Mia is there on that date in Canterbury, but it does mean having to go through London to get there...
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

July 2022: Chicago at the Lyceum Theatre in Sheffield. Originally looked at the Alexandra in Birmingham, but tried to see this many times but was unable to, including my birthday in 2021 where they were supposed to be in Llandudno, but was moved to nearly a year later due to the Covid situation. They were in Sunderland during the Platinum Jubilee weekend (RIP) but ill health stopped me from going. Finally got to see it in Sheffield at last before the end of its run. Enjoyed Faye Brookes as Roxie Hart, singing And All That Jazz, and the females wearing black.

August 2022: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour [sic] Dreamcoat at the Bristol Hippodrome on my birthday. Jason Donavan appeared as one of the characters that he wasn't usually associated with, although having Donavan appearing is like Grease being performed by Travolta and the late Livvy! To be honest, I thought that JD would be understudied due to his association with the recently-axed Neighbours and the fact that he was involved with the publicity of that. Went to a fast food place and someone in the queue was humming one of the songs in the musical herself while she waited.

Just before Christmas, I might pop down to Southend to see Diversity in Snow White at the Cliffs Pavilion. Wanted their autographs and tried to get them last year but couldn't. As Southend has had a roller-coaster year what with electing a new MP, (Justice being done for her predecessor's killer), and the town becoming a city, it might be my way of paying homage down there.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

All going well I'll be watching Dreamgirls in Manchester on Saturday.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

For my birthday this year, I went all the way to the Mayflower Theatre in Southampton to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - the Musical. Great cast, and great performance! I have gone from (King) Charles to Charlie (Bucket) in the space of one year!

A few weeks ago, I found out that next year, Grease the Musical is literally on my doorstep at the Nottingham Theatre Royal which disappoints me as I love travelling halfway across the country, but on the other hand, it would save me money on coach and hotel expenses. Just have to wait and see.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Grease could be excellent; some great music! I didn't really know Dreamgirls was being done live, or perhaps it started there... I've only known of the film.
                  My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
                    Grease could be excellent; some great music! I didn't really know Dreamgirls was being done live, or perhaps it started there... I've only known of the film.
                    I didn't know it was a stage show until I saw the film, but it took a very long time to even come to the West End.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Sorry to hear the death of Bill Kenwright - a great force in theatre musicals (obituary started in Gone But Not Forgotten).
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

UP UNTIL 2016 ID NEVER BEEN TO THE THEATRE SEEN LOADS AND LOADS OF MUSICALS

GREAT FUN.HERES A PIC OF THE INSIDE.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.fPWpao...id=ImgDet&rs=1
                        AND OUTSIDE.
                        https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.ced72331...pid=ImgRaw&r=0
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                        X