Stamp Vending Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stamp Vending Machines

Stamp vending machines, attached to the side of pillar boxes or inset into the wall outside of post offices, were once commonplace during the 20th century but seemed to disappear shortly after 2000.

I can remember a mechanical SVM attached to a pillar box on a local housing estate in 1999/2000. I think it was still working then but it has since been removed. Around the same time there were also electronic SVMs inset into walls outside post offices.

In London I have encountered a few post boxes with inbuilt SVMs at the back. None of them were functioning even back in the 1990s.

Re: Stamp Vending Machines

I heard the stamp machines in phone boxes weren't popular because they were hard to waterproof & often the stamps ended up gummed together.

Also the noise from the dispensing mechanism could be heard inside the box, distracting anyone making a call.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I very rarely used them, but I assume that it was a lot more useful to buy them when the Post Office was closed and not having to wait for them to open. Some might have offered single stamps as well.

As I said in the other thread, they were in books of four with a more glossy cover than now (probably because they are made on recyclable paper these days). Some books had a plastic "window" so you could see the "top right" stamp inside the book, while later ones had a diagonal line at the bottom right of the Queen's picture so it cannot be used as a stamp itself, even though the glossiness of it would make it more than apparent that it wasn't one of the actual stamps.

At least modern stamps can be peeled off backing paper and not have to lick them - I wouldn't want to lick some stamps that were years old.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

A detailed history of stamp vending machines

http://www.stampprinters.info/v13%20...%20History.pdf

How many of them do you remember?

Comment

My mother can remember the G3 SVMs back in the 1970s and the (very similar) H and J SVMs in the 1980s and 1990s.

The G3 took 10p coins and dispensed a mixed value strip of 5 stamps. According to the article, they were 6p, 2p, 1p, ½p, ½p which covered the 8 ½ p first class and 6 ½p second class rates. The machines were a bit fiddly to use as users had to lift the outlet flap before inserting the coin.

The H and J took 50p coins and dispensed mixed value books of stamps. Users had to pull a knob to release the stamps after inserting the coin. As postage rates increased, later versions took 2 50p coins and dispensed a £1 book of stamps.

I can remember seeing FMJ type SVMs around in the 1990s that took £1 coins and dispensed a £1 book of stamps but they were located in places other than post offices such as shops, hospitals, leisure centres.

The P1 and P4 electronic SVMs were often seen inset into walls outside post offices in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Some larger post offices had electronic SVMs that dispensed individual stamps, like the 1712T, VSS1, and DC22, inside them in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I used to think they were quite handy to avoid waiting in queues.

Comment

I would prefer to wait and get stamps from a shop instead of getting them from a machine that does not give change.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The SVMs that dispensed books of stamps gave change in the form of a few low value stamps. The philatelic community will probably have the details of the exact composition of each book of stamps issued over the years.

I'm sure that the electronic SVMs inside post offices that dispensed individual stamps gave change as they accepted all coins.

Comment

I would have thought that it would be like using a payphone and putting coins into the machine - or like Nottingham City Transport bus fares (says he, who has had a pass for over 20 years). They would prefer you to "overpay" and not give change if you didn't have the correct amount.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

In 1973 first class cost 3 ½p and second class cost 3p
                  A 5p strip of stamps consisted of 2p, 1p, 1p, ½p, ½p

In 1977 first class cost 8 ½p or 9p and second class cost 6 ½p or 7p
                  A 10p strip of stamps consisted of 6p, 2p, 1p, ½p, ½p
                  A 50p book of stamps consisted of 9p, 9p, 9p, 7p, 7p, 7p, 1p, 1p

In 1982 first class cost 15 ½p and second class cost 12 ½p
                  A 50p book of stamps consisted of 12 ½p, 12 ½p, 12 ½p, 3p, 3p, 3p, 3p, ½p

In 1987 first class cost 18p and second class cost 13p
                  A 50p book of stamps consisted of 18p, 18p, 13p, 1p or 13p, 13p, 13p, 5p, 5p, 1p
                  A £1 book of stamps consisted of 18p, 18p, 18p, 18p, 18p, 13p – worth £1.03

In 1992 first class cost 24p and second class cost 18p
                  A 50p book of stamps consisted of 24p, 24p, 1p, 1p
                  A £1 book of stamps consisted of 24p, 24p, 24p, 24p, 2p, 2p

In 1995 first class cost 25p and second class cost 19p
                  A 50p book of stamps consisted of 25p, 25p
                  A £1 book of stamps consisted of 25p, 25p, 25p, 25p

In 1998 first class cost 26p and second class cost 20p
                  A £1 book of stamps consisted of 26p, 26p, 26p, 20p, 1p, 1p

Comment

I would have thought that even in 1973 never mind 1977 or 1982, there would be very little use for a ½p stamp.

I thought that the cost of a first class stamp would roughly be the same price as a tabloid newspaper back then - I know that around 1987-1988, the 18p stamp was a dark green colour - was the second class stamp a light blue colour back then?
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                      I would have thought that even in 1973 never mind 1977 or 1982, there would be very little use for a ½p stamp.
                      Making up values from a combination of stamps and annual price increases were in multiples of ½p. Take into account that post offices sell 1p stamps that are worth less today than a ½p stamp was in the early 1980s.

Comment

A PB29 elliptical shaped pillar box with an in-built SVM round the back, located in Ealing. The letter slot is on the opposite side. The SVM is a B4 type, dating back to 1935, and in its latest incarnation took 1p coins and dispensed individual 1p stamps. It was decommissioned around 1975 when rising postage rates made them inconvenient for consumers and uneconomical for the Post Office to operate.

Attached Files

Comment

I assume that they were aimed at those who were just about to post letters, and then realised that they had forgot to put stamps on the envelopes - or indeed, those who had forgotten to put stamps on the envelopes, and left their wallet at home in which case it would have been useless for them.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

paid £7.30 for a pack of 12 second class stamps yesterday....the worlds gone mad!
                            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I am used to buying booklets of 12 first class stamps so I needn't worry.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X