Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stamp Vending Machines

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    I assume that they were aimed at those who were just about to post letters, and then realised that they had forgot to put stamps on the envelopes - or indeed, those who had forgotten to put stamps on the envelopes, and left their wallet at home in which case it would have been useless for them.
    SVMs that dispensed individual stamps were often used by folk who bought stamps as and when they needed them. Also take into account that people sent many postcards as well as letters. SVMs that dispensed books of stamps were ideal for replenishing your supply of stamps at home. In the decades when SVMs were commonplace, queues at post offices could be substantial and annoying for anybody who just needed a stamp or two.

Many people liked books of stamps that were 2nd class with extra stamps to increase the value to 1st class.

Comment

I can recall in my Home Town a Stamp Machine attached to the General's Wall outside (in like a sort ATM Style-type way).

This was probably operational untilI'd say about may-be 2002/03 and still remains there now where you can see the rembrants of it Lol

80sChav

Comment

It would be nice if stamp vending machines were brought back just in case one needs stamps and the nearest Post Office happens to be closed - they can be just as handy as cashpoints are when you need money.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

These days you can buy them at corner shops and supermarkets, no need to go to a post office.

Comment

Working...
          X