Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stamp Vending Machines

Default Re: Stamp Vending Machines

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I would have thought that even in 1973 never mind 1977 or 1982, there would be very little use for a p stamp.
    Making up values from a combination of stamps and annual price increases were in multiples of p. Take into account that post offices sell 1p stamps that are worth less today than a p stamp was in the early 1980s.

A PB29 elliptical shaped pillar box with an in-built SVM round the back, located in Ealing. The letter slot is on the opposite side. The SVM is a B4 type, dating back to 1935, and in its latest incarnation took 1p coins and dispensed individual 1p stamps. It was decommissioned around 1975 when rising postage rates made them inconvenient for consumers and uneconomical for the Post Office to operate.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ealing-PB29.jpg  

I assume that they were aimed at those who were just about to post letters, and then realised that they had forgot to put stamps on the envelopes - or indeed, those who had forgotten to put stamps on the envelopes, and left their wallet at home in which case it would have been useless for them.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

paid 7.30 for a pack of 12 second class stamps yesterday....the worlds gone mad!
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

I am used to buying booklets of 12 first class stamps so I needn't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I assume that they were aimed at those who were just about to post letters, and then realised that they had forgot to put stamps on the envelopes - or indeed, those who had forgotten to put stamps on the envelopes, and left their wallet at home in which case it would have been useless for them.
    SVMs that dispensed individual stamps were often used by folk who bought stamps as and when they needed them. Also take into account that people sent many postcards as well as letters. SVMs that dispensed books of stamps were ideal for replenishing your supply of stamps at home. In the decades when SVMs were commonplace, queues at post offices could be substantial and annoying for anybody who just needed a stamp or two.

Many people liked books of stamps that were 2nd class with extra stamps to increase the value to 1st class.

I can recall in my Home Town a Stamp Machine attached to the General's Wall outside (in like a sort ATM Style-type way).

This was probably operational untilI'd say about may-be 2002/03 and still remains there now where you can see the rembrants of it Lol

80sChav

It would be nice if stamp vending machines were brought back just in case one needs stamps and the nearest Post Office happens to be closed - they can be just as handy as cashpoints are when you need money.

These days you can buy them at corner shops and supermarkets, no need to go to a post office.