30yrs Since Hillsborough.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30yrs Since Hillsborough.

I Still Can't Believe Its 30yrs ago today 96 fans.

lost they're lives due to the stupid police officers that day an event i will remember for the rest of my life.

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Re: 30yrs Since Hillsborough.

I remember watching that very match on tv and witnessing the truly awful events of that day.

30 yrs to the day how can it be that long ago.

They did a reading of all the names of those who died on the radio earlier today.

And they are still fighting for justice over david duckenfield.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

It is un-believeable to me that it is 30 years Yesterday. Though then again though it's not - but I was one day shy of my 12th Birthday that day in April 1989, so it sticks in my mind like it was yesterday and I can still recall everything I did that day.

Of course too in those day's people had to rely on special news bullitens as there was no widspread internet as such and i recall it all becoming clear on the Sunday

On a scary note I even attended a match at Hillsbrorough 8 years later on in 1997, though the events obviously played on my mind - I did my best not to worry over the events of 8 years before-hand.

To think though that 1997 is nearer to 1989 than 2010 is mezmorizing in it's fullest for me as it is that 1989 was only 11 years offf the Year 2000 and it's impossible how it is 30 years since it happend I feel

Comment

The name Hillsborough seems to be synonymous with the football disaster, both from a football and sporting perspective - it's as if the name only came into existence in 1989. I had never heard of Hungerford or Dunblane prior to what happened in those respective areas. I do remember the Bradford City fire coverage from ITN bulletins and World of Sport during its final months.

I watched the TV coverage on YouTube last week, seeing what started to be an ordinary football match of Liverpool and Nottingham Forest (playing in Leeds United-alike white as their away strip to avoid confusion with Liverpool's red), and then six minutes in, a police officer ran onto the pitch and asked the referee to suspend the game so that the crowds can be attended to. In the next few minutes, one couldn't have imagined what would have happened next.

Being a Nottingham person, I just wish that Liverpool and Nottingham were seen as equal cities from the media perspective - both cities had football clubs that were very much part of the fixture, and I would have liked to have seen equal representation. Nottingham Forest supporters were affected because they were in attendance, and the shock and aftermath of what happened probably will stay with them for the rest of their life. Football is all about trying to keep people together despite what our differences are.

There seemed to be just as many spectators on the pitch just a few minutes later as there were in the terraces. If we use the "running a bath" analogy in relation to the overcrowding at six minutes, by half an hour the stadium would have been in its "needing a new downstairs ceiling" phase. It made me think whether this had ever happened before in football, whether it was in Great Britain or elsewhere in the world. Some even thought that Brian's Clough's long stint at Forest was numbered because of what happened.

On the Sunday morning I tried to tape record all the "on the hour" news bulletins on a C90 from Radio 1, Radio Nottingham, Trent FM and other radio stations about the disaster, even though the newsreaders and reporters were saying the same thing. My parents also read the News of the World, and I kept that edition for quite a while as well.

I was staying with a neighbour for Sunday lunch a few weeks later and there was someone there who was also at Hillsborough on that day, although not at the Liverpool end of course, but it did shock me to think that he was there when it happened.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
          The name Hillsborough seems to be synonymous with the football disaster, both from a football and sporting perspective - it's as if the name only came into existence in 1989. I had never heard of Hungerford or Dunblane prior to what happened in those respective areas. I do remember the Bradford City fire coverage from ITN bulletins and World of Sport during its final months.

I watched the TV coverage on YouTube last week, seeing what started to be an ordinary football match of Liverpool and Nottingham Forest (playing in Leeds United-alike white as their away strip to avoid confusion with Liverpool's red), and then six minutes in, a police officer ran onto the pitch and asked the referee to suspend the game so that the crowds can be attended to. In the next few minutes, one couldn't have imagined what would have happened next.

Being a Nottingham person, I just wish that Liverpool and Nottingham were seen as equal cities from the media perspective - both cities had football clubs that were very much part of the fixture, and I would have liked to have seen equal representation. Nottingham Forest supporters were affected because they were in attendance, and the shock and aftermath of what happened probably will stay with them for the rest of their life. Football is all about trying to keep people together despite what our differences are.

There seemed to be just as many spectators on the pitch just a few minutes later as there were in the terraces. If we use the "running a bath" analogy in relation to the overcrowding at six minutes, by half an hour the stadium would have been in its "needing a new downstairs ceiling" phase. It made me think whether this had ever happened before in football, whether it was in Great Britain or elsewhere in the world. Some even thought that Brian's Clough's long stint at Forest was numbered because of what happened.

On the Sunday morning I tried to tape record all the "on the hour" news bulletins on a C90 from Radio 1, Radio Nottingham, Trent FM and other radio stations about the disaster, even though the newsreaders and reporters were saying the same thing. My parents also read the News of the World, and I kept that edition for quite a while as well.

I was staying with a neighbour for Sunday lunch a few weeks later and there was someone there who was also at Hillsborough on that day, although not at the Liverpool end of course, but it did shock me to think that he was there when it happened.

You are right George - Hillsborough will always be known now in how you said - though of course it is etched into History because of how it was, but it was always known as a Semi-Final Ground for the FA Cup formany a years and was up there with the biggest capacity-wise like Elland Road and Villa Park.

As a Yorkshireman - born and bread I guess it's natural though to know of more of Hillsborough's History, as I knew a little less too about Valey Parade. At the time after the Valley Parade Disaster - I went to Oddsall Stadium for some kind of event (I'm unsure what exactly now) but too that remains in my mind as at that time Bradford City had to share their homes games between Elland Road in Leeds and Leeds Road in Huddersfield (Pre The Alfred MaCapline and laterly The John Smiths Stadium Days)

Comment

My father came from Doncaster so I have a bit of South Yorkshire in my family as well - he used to say "sen" instead of "self" and all that. A friend of mine lives in Barnsley which is known for its assertiveness a la Michael Parkinson.

I have noticed that these incidents have affected football grounds based in the north of England or Scotland - probably just a coincidence, or just the fact that football has such strong support in the north which is a lot stronger than in the Midlands by comparison - the fact that Liverpool is more prominent than Nottingham is one reason I suppose.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

My father came from Doncaster so I have a bit of South Yorkshire in my family as well - he used to say "sen" instead of "self" and all that. A friend of mine lives in Barnsley which is known for its assertiveness a la Michael Parkinson.
              Hi George,

Parky is'nt popular by any stretch of the word in Yorkshire and particular Barnsley regards un-savoury comments on the Football Team. To be honest yeah he's a great chat show host (or was) but he makes me sick with his charming lingo to hear him talk on Telly.

I had not noted what you had said though - about Disasters up North and not South/Midlands - though of course the Midlands and down South hold mega grounds - like the City Ground and even Meadow Lane in the grand scheme of things (21, 000-ish I think it is) and look at Villa Park, they can still tow 40, 000 on a good day - even now in the 2nd Tier.

I am always suprised though how Ayresome Park hosted a world Cup Game in 66 - though I may-be wrong but I'm 70% too that Ashton Gate did in Bristol and then for other bids in more recent times I had heard Plymouth and MK Dons had defintley used info to make bids!!
              80sChav

Comment

To people in the south, people think that Barnsley is so assertive when it comes to people who come from there, but it's just a stereotype at the end of the day.

I suppose that one of the reasons is because a lot of the football grounds down south do have a greater capacity hence a bigger population and more football fans - can you imagine Wembley being in the north of England?
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

When I watch football matches on TV and see a lower-league one where most of the seats are empty, I often think that it is a "Hillsborough in reverse" if you know what I mean.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Hillsborough, probably the longest reported news item ever, however i suspect Grenfell towers may top it. no disrespect intended but some news stories never seem to go away, by which i mean come to a conclusion... Lockerbie is another
                    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

When I watch football matches on TV and see a lower-league one where most of the seats are empty, I often think that it is a "Hillsborough in reverse" if you know what I mean.
                      Thta is true and strikes a Chord, George - I had not thought of it as so, but I should have done I guess (as I am more of a Non-Leauge Fan these Dyas, due to the Top Divisions demanding too much money

You know Teams like Alfreton, Farsley Celtic, Giusley, Gateshead - but of course know established "middle of the Road Leauge 1 and Leauge 2 Grounds" are joining Non-Leauge .... like Notts County with Meaow Lane, Chesterfields 10 year old B2Net (as I knew it when it opened), Stockport's edgley Park and Torquay's plainmoor to name but a few - which to me are with total due respect - not even in the same context as like Farsley, Gateshead, Alfreton (which is one I severley desire to one day visit)

Going back to Hillsborough and it being 30 Years in 2 Months - it was and is only an hour or so's run from where I lived and the date 15th April 1989 (as I have said elsewhere on here - was 1 day before my 12th Birthday) and I recall being in Mansfield that day and a Petrol Stn giving me and my Dad some highly old (but useable Green Stamps)

On a sub-note, which shows the vast timescale of 30 years we are talking - I have been to at least 2 Matches since the Disaster in 1989 - one only 8 years later in 1997, that I can not believe to this day was only 8 years after 1989 but 23 years the other way - even given that 1997 was only 3 years off the Year 2000. Also I have been on at least one or two Stadium Visits there - not as I support Sheff Wed one bit , but just for the "Hertiage etc" of the place and it's History with FA Cup Semi Finals

I can not believe it never fazed me either going for my first visit in 1997, knowing what was known. Say in relation to the Twin Towers Disaster in 2001 - I don't know if I could have the nerves to fly into New York that way -as much as it is a Dream to fly in that way on Xmas eve with a "Fairytale of New York" playing

Add to this too - I am a bad flyer at the best of times who needs a few Brandy's (ior in Coffee) and Whiskey in Coffee and the thought of them poor poor souls being terrorised and hijacked land killed in the vain they were -it is a bit too much to acomplish for me

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                        Thta is true and strikes a Chord, George - I had not thought of it as so, but I should have done I guess (as I am more of a Non-Leauge Fan these Dyas, due to the Top Divisions demanding too much money

You know Teams like Alfreton, Farsley Celtic, Giusley, Gateshead - but of course know established "middle of the Road Leauge 1 and Leauge 2 Grounds" are joining Non-Leauge .... like Notts County with Meaow Lane, Chesterfields 10 year old B2Net (as I knew it when it opened), Stockport's edgley Park and Torquay's plainmoor to name but a few - which to me are with total due respect - not even in the same context as like Farsley, Gateshead, Alfreton (which is one I severley desire to one day visit)

Going back to Hillsborough and it being 30 Years in 2 Months - it was and is only an hour or so's run from where I lived and the date 15th April 1989 (as I have said elsewhere on here - was 1 day before my 12th Birthday) and I recall being in Mansfield that day and a Petrol Stn giving me and my Dad some highly old (but useable Green Stamps)

On a sub-note, which shows the vast timescale of 30 years we are talking - I have been to at least 2 Matches since the Disaster in 1989 - one only 8 years later in 1997, that I can not believe to this day was only 8 years after 1989 but 23 years the other way - even given that 1997 was only 3 years off the Year 2000. Also I have been on at least one or two Stadium Visits there - not as I support Sheff Wed one bit , but just for the "Hertiage etc" of the place and it's History with FA Cup Semi Finals

I can not believe it never fazed me either going for my first visit in 1997, knowing what was known. Say in relation to the Twin Towers Disaster in 2001 - I don't know if I could have the nerves to fly into New York that way -as much as it is a Dream to fly in that way on Xmas eve with a "Fairytale of New York" playing

Add to this too - I am a bad flyer at the best of times who needs a few Brandy's (ior in Coffee) and Whiskey in Coffee and the thought of them poor poor souls being terrorised and hijacked land killed in the vain they were -it is a bit too much to acomplish for me

80sChav
                        Interesting ..

PS

Your INBOX is showing as full by the way so you can’t receive PMs ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                          Interesting ..

PS

Your INBOX is showing as full by the way so you can’t receive PMs ..

I was aware of it myself, and I responded.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                            Hillsborough, probably the longest reported news item ever, however i suspect Grenfell towers may top it. no disrespect intended but some news stories never seem to go away, by which i mean come to a conclusion... Lockerbie is another
                            Has there ever been such a football disaster where so many people have lost their lives? - there probably have been, but each incident is different.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

World's Biggest Football Stadium Disasters
                              Location Stadium Disaster Year Cause Death Toll
                              Lima Estadio Nacional 1964 Riot 328
                              Accra Accra Sports' Stadium 2001 Riot / Police 126
                              Sheffield Hillsborough 1989 Overcrowding / Crush 96
                              Katmandu National Stadium 1988 Crush 93
                              Guatemala Mateo Flores National Stadium 1996 Crush 80
                              Egypt Port Said 2012 Riot 79
                              B Aires Estadio Monumental 1968 Crush 71
                              Moscow Lenin (Luzhniki) Stadium 1982 Stampede 66
                              Glasgow Ibrox 1971 Crush 66
                              Bradford Valley Parade 1985 Fire 56
                              Kayseri Ataturk Stadium 1968 Riot 44
                              Jo'burg Ellis Park 2001 Stampede 43
                              Orkney Oppenheimer 1991 Stampede 42
                              Brussels Heysel 1985 Riot 39
                              Bolton Burnden Park 1946 Crush 33
                              Glasgow Ibrox 1902 Stand Collapse 25
                              Piraeus Karaiskakis 1981 Stampede 24