Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30yrs Since Hillsborough.

Default Re: 30yrs Since Hillsborough.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    When I watch football matches on TV and see a lower-league one where most of the seats are empty, I often think that it is a "Hillsborough in reverse" if you know what I mean.
    Thta is true and strikes a Chord, George - I had not thought of it as so, but I should have done I guess (as I am more of a Non-Leauge Fan these Dyas, due to the Top Divisions demanding too much money

You know Teams like Alfreton, Farsley Celtic, Giusley, Gateshead - but of course know established "middle of the Road Leauge 1 and Leauge 2 Grounds" are joining Non-Leauge .... like Notts County with Meaow Lane, Chesterfields 10 year old B2Net (as I knew it when it opened), Stockport's edgley Park and Torquay's plainmoor to name but a few - which to me are with total due respect - not even in the same context as like Farsley, Gateshead, Alfreton (which is one I severley desire to one day visit)

Going back to Hillsborough and it being 30 Years in 2 Months - it was and is only an hour or so's run from where I lived and the date 15th April 1989 (as I have said elsewhere on here - was 1 day before my 12th Birthday) and I recall being in Mansfield that day and a Petrol Stn giving me and my Dad some highly old (but useable Green Stamps)

On a sub-note, which shows the vast timescale of 30 years we are talking - I have been to at least 2 Matches since the Disaster in 1989 - one only 8 years later in 1997, that I can not believe to this day was only 8 years after 1989 but 23 years the other way - even given that 1997 was only 3 years off the Year 2000. Also I have been on at least one or two Stadium Visits there - not as I support Sheff Wed one bit , but just for the "Hertiage etc" of the place and it's History with FA Cup Semi Finals

I can not believe it never fazed me either going for my first visit in 1997, knowing what was known. Say in relation to the Twin Towers Disaster in 2001 - I don't know if I could have the nerves to fly into New York that way -as much as it is a Dream to fly in that way on Xmas eve with a "Fairytale of New York" playing

Add to this too - I am a bad flyer at the best of times who needs a few Brandy's (ior in Coffee) and Whiskey in Coffee and the thought of them poor poor souls being terrorised and hijacked land killed in the vain they were -it is a bit too much to acomplish for me

80sChav

Quote Originally Posted by 80sChav View Post
    Thta is true and strikes a Chord, George - I had not thought of it as so, but I should have done I guess (as I am more of a Non-Leauge Fan these Dyas, due to the Top Divisions demanding too much money

You know Teams like Alfreton, Farsley Celtic, Giusley, Gateshead - but of course know established "middle of the Road Leauge 1 and Leauge 2 Grounds" are joining Non-Leauge .... like Notts County with Meaow Lane, Chesterfields 10 year old B2Net (as I knew it when it opened), Stockport's edgley Park and Torquay's plainmoor to name but a few - which to me are with total due respect - not even in the same context as like Farsley, Gateshead, Alfreton (which is one I severley desire to one day visit)

Going back to Hillsborough and it being 30 Years in 2 Months - it was and is only an hour or so's run from where I lived and the date 15th April 1989 (as I have said elsewhere on here - was 1 day before my 12th Birthday) and I recall being in Mansfield that day and a Petrol Stn giving me and my Dad some highly old (but useable Green Stamps)

On a sub-note, which shows the vast timescale of 30 years we are talking - I have been to at least 2 Matches since the Disaster in 1989 - one only 8 years later in 1997, that I can not believe to this day was only 8 years after 1989 but 23 years the other way - even given that 1997 was only 3 years off the Year 2000. Also I have been on at least one or two Stadium Visits there - not as I support Sheff Wed one bit , but just for the "Hertiage etc" of the place and it's History with FA Cup Semi Finals

I can not believe it never fazed me either going for my first visit in 1997, knowing what was known. Say in relation to the Twin Towers Disaster in 2001 - I don't know if I could have the nerves to fly into New York that way -as much as it is a Dream to fly in that way on Xmas eve with a "Fairytale of New York" playing

Add to this too - I am a bad flyer at the best of times who needs a few Brandy's (ior in Coffee) and Whiskey in Coffee and the thought of them poor poor souls being terrorised and hijacked land killed in the vain they were -it is a bit too much to acomplish for me

80sChav
    Interesting ..

PS

Your INBOX is showing as full by the way so you can’t receive PMs ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Interesting ..

PS

Your INBOX is showing as full by the way so you can’t receive PMs ..

I was aware of it myself, and I responded.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Hillsborough, probably the longest reported news item ever, however i suspect Grenfell towers may top it. no disrespect intended but some news stories never seem to go away, by which i mean come to a conclusion... Lockerbie is another
    Has there ever been such a football disaster where so many people have lost their lives? - there probably have been, but each incident is different.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

World's Biggest Football Stadium Disasters
    Location Stadium Disaster Year Cause Death Toll
    Lima Estadio Nacional 1964 Riot 328
    Accra Accra Sports' Stadium 2001 Riot / Police 126
    Sheffield Hillsborough 1989 Overcrowding / Crush 96
    Katmandu National Stadium 1988 Crush 93
    Guatemala Mateo Flores National Stadium 1996 Crush 80
    Egypt Port Said 2012 Riot 79
    B Aires Estadio Monumental 1968 Crush 71
    Moscow Lenin (Luzhniki) Stadium 1982 Stampede 66
    Glasgow Ibrox 1971 Crush 66