Any keen gardeners ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any keen gardeners ??

So here in blighty with the advent of some sunny weather thoughts are turning to the garden and how we can add a splash of colour to our otherwise grey lives. I have always been enthusiastic but never very good with gardening, Last year i spent at least £100 on plants that flower year after year (perennials) half of them are now a pile of dry twigs and will now need replacing. Also during last summers very dry spell i must of managed to over water my lawn (is that possible?) now it is like a patchwork quilt!.
    I was considering fake grass to do away with all the hastle but it really doesn't look realistic. Then there is the annual jetwashing and fence painting,weeding,pruning,watering and pest control....Phew, i'm breaking a sweat thinking about it!
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Any keen gardeners ??

We struggled with our lawn so ripped it all up and made two huge raised gardens/borders and surrounded it all with white gravel .. looks amazing and sooo easy to look after

I’d suggest having an skeleton structure evergreen of medium sized ( they will grow ) shrubs in the background .. then the garden looks good 365 days a year and you just fill in at the front with cheaper annuals to provide the colour ..

The Evergreen shrubs I went for a called Pieris Forest Flames .. they have kinda variegated leaf colours and twice a year spring and autumn the new growth appears as a curtain of bright red ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 18-04-2019, 19:36.

Comment

Re: Any keen gardeners ??

Looks great!...Well done Z

Comment

So being a spring/summer gardener only, i've spent all day today getting a final cut on the lawn, digging out what remains of the bedding plants (most of them were dead weeks ago) and cleaning the mower and tools ...i'm knackered

Comment

Thankfully my place doesn't have a garden - my late father used to do the gardening at my old place until he passed on, and then it had assistance from the council's gardening scheme. It would never win first prize in any gardening contest.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            Thankfully my place doesn't have a garden - my late father used to do the gardening at my old place until he passed on, and then it had assistance from the council's gardening scheme. It would never win first prize in any gardening contest.
            My family used to have a garden at the backyard. I was so nostalgic about that so I managed to make one at my current place. I quickly realized that I don't have much time to maintain it, what a shame. I decided to keep just a green lawn. Besides, using a weed trimmer like this is way more fun than gardening to me.

Comment

Originally posted by FlowerWY View Post
              My family used to have a garden at the backyard. I was so nostalgic about that so I managed to make one at my current place. I quickly realized that I don't have much time to maintain it, what a shame. I decided to keep just a green lawn. Besides, using a weed trimmer like this is way more fun than
              gardening to me.
              I used to love gardening,planting up pots in the spring waiting for the display of glorious colours,had window boxes hanging baskets as you get older the enthusiasm goes and less gets done.Maybe that's why keen gardeners downsize as they get older.No way I could cut lawns anymore or trim shrubs or worst chore in the garden weeding

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                I used to love gardening,planting up pots in the spring waiting for the display of glorious colours,had window boxes hanging baskets as you get older the enthusiasm goes and less gets done.Maybe that's why keen gardeners downsize as they get older.No way I could cut lawns anymore or trim shrubs or worst chore in the garden weeding
                For sure as you get older and your health deteriorates the enthusiasm wanes a little and what used to be fun can become a chore, but if you do a little often instead of trying to get everything done in one session it can still be enjoyable

Comment

I will make an effort to do gardening when the spring arrives.The miniature daffodils are shooting up love those compared with bigger tall daffodils narcissi and wind dosent blow them down.Bought them in Home Bargains about 8 years ago

Comment

Aldi have a pack of 6 pink primulas for £2.49 also herbs in terracotta pots £2.79 each,Rosemary,Sage,Thyme etc

Comment

Originally posted by FlowerWY View Post
                      My family used to have a garden at the backyard. I was so nostalgic about that so I managed to make one at my current place. I quickly realized that I don't have much time to maintain it, what a shame. I decided to keep just a green lawn. Besides, using a weed trimmer like this is way more fun than gardening to me.
                      Having a garden is a nice thing, but it takes a lot of looking after. Having a water pool there is lovely, but of course, it takes a lot of maintenance.

Mind you, I used to try and earn the odd 50p mowing a neighbour's lawn.
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Seeing it was a sunny morning I wrapped up warm spent half an hour in the garden pottering about tidy up pots ready for spring planting,picked up loads of leaves that had blown off trees & shrubs.I have got a litter picker saved bending down to pick them up,really handy tool bought it a couple of years back in home bargains for 99p it was nice to have some fresh air after having the cold flu

Comment

Seeing it was a sunny morning I wrapped up warm spent half an hour in the garden pottering about tidy up pots ready for spring planting,picked up loads of leaves that had blown off trees & shrubs.I have got a litter picker saved bending down to pick them up,really handy tool bought it a couple of years back in home bargains for 99p it was nice to have some fresh air after having the cold flu
                          Still scared to venture out, garden looks like the amazon but i will bite the bullett in the next few weeks

Comment

Although I said that I wouldn't be doing much anymore but very much enjoyed my half hour yesterday every little helps lol

Comment

yes, who invented gardening ... its all work that never gets finished !

Comment

Working...
                              X