Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starsky and Hutch or the Professionals ?

Default Re: S and H or The Pros

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    As I recall David Soul was mega popular due to the series and simply milked the adulation by releasing a few mellow crooner type songs ..

I never took him seriously tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree that Soul's fame as Hutch allowed him to launch his singing career. Without that fame, I am sceptical that he would have released any songs.

Just for the record, I was a Professionals fan far more than S & H.

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    I agree that Soul's fame as Hutch allowed him to launch his singing career. Without that fame, I am sceptical that he would have released any songs.

Just for the record, I was a Professionals fan far more than S & H.
    Same ... liked S &H though .. I had the idea that the Professionals were about ten years later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    Yes, although one wouldn't have said that thinking about Benny Hill, Windsor Davies or Billy Connolly.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

I think I recall seeing David Soul on Top Of The Pops. I think it was a song that went like "don't give on me baby."
    Then he progressed on to wife beating!

That would be 'Don't Give Up On Us". The only other song by David Soul I can recall is 'Silver Lady'. Yes, I saw him on TOTP as well.

The best thing about S & H that I liked was that car--a Ford Gran Torino?

S & H began in April 1975 in the USA, while The Professionals was first screened in December 1977.

Both ran for 4 series but Starsky and Hutch amassed nearly twice as many episodes (92).
    I loved the Ford Torino. I use to have a friend who had a red Ford Capri with a similar white strip.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Was David Soul's hits as a direct result of Starsky and Hutch or were they independent of the series?

Never thought of that - the Professionals being a British version, but you could be right.
    Yep! He even released a single wearing a mask, to hide his good looks, before doing the show. It wasn't a hit.

Default Re: Starsky and Hutch or the Professionals ?

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Was David Soul's hits as a direct result of Starsky and Hutch or were they independent of the series?

Never thought of that - the Professionals being a British version, but you could be right.
    Yep! He even released a single wearing a mask, to hide his good looks, before doing the show. It wasn't a hit.

Loved me S&H but...Watching the Pros on a Friday night was a very big part of my weekend ritual years ago; Getting indoors from school with my comics and a packet of Ringos / monster munch / etc. Sit in front of the telly and watch some Ghosts of Motely Hall, then Grange Hill. Then back to ITV which would by then be LWT. Some muppet show at 7pm. or Sale of the Century. Some A Team or Hardcastle & McCormick depending on the year of course...Some sitcom on around 8.30pm. Then...The Professionals!! After that listen to Capital Radio's Best Disco In Town show. Memories bring a tear to me eyes...

The Professionals, always reminded me of The Sweeney (John Thaw and Dennis Waterman). Typically very gritty and hardcore in terms of pushing the boundaries of law enforcement through violence and intimidation. Even the opening credits & that oh-so familiar score pretty much set the scene even before the show really got into gear.

S&H, on the other hand, took a relatively more lighter tone. Yes, both cops pushed similar boundaries, much to the despair of their boss (Dobey?), but I never really got the same "cold ruthlessness" as a I did when watching TP

Two great shows aimed at slightly different audiences.

As a child, I recall watching Starsky and Hutch with delight. It was easy to follow and there was plenty of action.
    The Sweeney was difficult to follow, but I use to watch it because it was my uncle's favourite; and with only one tv in the house, which was a 22" colour crt tv, there were few options.