Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starsky and Hutch or the Professionals ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: S and H or The Pros

Both ran for 4 series but Starsky and Hutch amassed nearly twice as many episodes (92).
    I loved the Ford Torino. I use to have a friend who had a red Ford Capri with a similar white strip.

Comment

Re: S and H or The Pros

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
      Was David Soul's hits as a direct result of Starsky and Hutch or were they independent of the series?

Never thought of that - the Professionals being a British version, but you could be right.
      Yep! He even released a single wearing a mask, to hide his good looks, before doing the show. It wasn't a hit.

Comment

Re: Starsky and Hutch or the Professionals ?

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        Was David Soul's hits as a direct result of Starsky and Hutch or were they independent of the series?

Never thought of that - the Professionals being a British version, but you could be right.
        Yep! He even released a single wearing a mask, to hide his good looks, before doing the show. It wasn't a hit.

Loved me S&H but...Watching the Pros on a Friday night was a very big part of my weekend ritual years ago; Getting indoors from school with my comics and a packet of Ringos / monster munch / etc. Sit in front of the telly and watch some Ghosts of Motely Hall, then Grange Hill. Then back to ITV which would by then be LWT. Some muppet show at 7pm. or Sale of the Century. Some A Team or Hardcastle & McCormick depending on the year of course...Some sitcom on around 8.30pm. Then...The Professionals!! After that listen to Capital Radio's Best Disco In Town show. Memories bring a tear to me eyes...:cry:

Comment

The Professionals, always reminded me of The Sweeney (John Thaw and Dennis Waterman). Typically very gritty and hardcore in terms of pushing the boundaries of law enforcement through violence and intimidation. Even the opening credits & that oh-so familiar score pretty much set the scene even before the show really got into gear.

S&H, on the other hand, took a relatively more lighter tone. Yes, both cops pushed similar boundaries, much to the despair of their boss (Dobey?), but I never really got the same "cold ruthlessness" as a I did when watching TP

Two great shows aimed at slightly different audiences.

Comment

As a child, I recall watching Starsky and Hutch with delight. It was easy to follow and there was plenty of action.
            The Sweeney was difficult to follow, but I use to watch it because it was my uncle's favourite; and with only one tv in the house, which was a 22" colour crt tv, there were few options.

Comment

Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post

Loved me S&H but...Watching the Pros on a Friday night was a very big part of my weekend ritual years ago; Getting indoors from school with my comics and a packet of Ringos / monster munch / etc. Sit in front of the telly and watch some Ghosts of Motely Hall, then Grange Hill. Then back to ITV which would by then be LWT. Some muppet show at 7pm. or Sale of the Century. Some A Team or Hardcastle & McCormick depending on the year of course...Some sitcom on around 8.30pm. Then...The Professionals!! After that listen to Capital Radio's Best Disco In Town show. Memories bring a tear to me eyes...:cry:
              Yes, Friday nights were not the same without those programmes or Play Your Cards Right or Family Fortunes (cue brown and beige set and Monkhouse or Bygraves as host); some American series (Vegas, Simon and Simon, The Fall Guy), a Yorkshire TV sitcom such as That's My Boy or some series with Thora Hird, and then The Gentle Touch, but your schedule would be around four or five years before mine would have been.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The Professionals was better. Starsky & Hutch was good in its first 2 series, but became too goofy and comedic because of complaints made against its violence. The Pros had a faster pace, action galore, intelligent storylines, Gordon Jackson and also, Martin Shaw & Lewis Collins did their own stunts. I watched Backtrack last night and it was enjoyable enough, a solid way to spend Saturday night.

Comment

The Sweeney reigns supreme in my view ... the storylines still stand up today ..acting was fabulous and the casting ( including the guest actor / criminal ) each episode was top notch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The Sweeney was an excellent crime drama that was ahead of its time and had great scripts. You could tell Thaw and Waterman enjoyed themselves and they remained friends after the show ended. This really captured the feel of what London was like in the 1970s.

Comment

I never cared for Starsky & Hutch when it was on. Never watched in repeats either. I think they sold a lot of toy cars because of it, but I didn't get into it. I did like The Professionals... maybe as much because of Gordon Jackson as any other factor?
                      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Oh please, Starsky and Hutch was funky and watchable. As for Gordon Jackson, he'd always be drinking that malt Scotch Whisky. I need to taste that drink to find out what he saw in it

Comment

Working...
                        X