Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Odeon cinemas.....never again!

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    The same should happen regarding theatres as well where the actors on stage can really be disrupted if someone's phone going off, and that is more annoying because the performance is live - think of when the snooker is played at the Crucible and other places. Although I own a mobile phone myself, I am so used to landlines when it comes to making telephone calls and often forget to take it with me where I go! I can understand the cold callers and scammers - a few years back I lost a few hundred pounds because someone had taken advantage of me that way - the problem is that the police in recent years has downgraded it as a crime, and a bit like shoplifting, it is almost seen as a victimless crime. I am also someone who used use a VCR as well.

Going back to the cinemas, OK, a mobile phone going off won't obviously disrupt the actors in the film, but from an audience's perspective, it is just annoying. I don't mind the mobile phone travelling on the bus or walking down the street, but they should be at least handed into the reception when it comes to cinemas and theatres, and if bags needed to be search as a result, so be it. As I say, I have nothing to hide, and if cinema or theatre staff want to search my bag for mobile phones, sweets, knives, guns, etc, they can do so as I could easily prove that I don't carry any of those items on me. The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say.
    To be fair i don't recall a phone ringing during a movie although i'm sure it happens, it's more about people checking facebook and the like which if the person is sat in front of you is a big distraction
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Now that's even worse - doing social media when you are supposed to be watching a film. Pity that they can't until after the film before checking up on friends - most of it isn't even urgent in any case.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Now that's even worse - doing social media when you are supposed to be watching a film. Pity that they can't until after the film before checking up on friends - most of it isn't even urgent in any case.
        People often feel the need to report their every move to the world who are all waiting with baited breath to find out where you are, what you are doing and what you had for breakfast...i genuinely despair

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
          People often feel the need to report their every move to the world who are all waiting with baited breath to find out where you are, what you are doing and what you had for breakfast...i genuinely despair
          It's the Big Brother society that we all live in these days.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Not quite free if you pay for a TV licence (like most people), but I take your point - it is cheaper in the long run.
            There are (legal) ways around not having a tv licence. ie, don't own anything with a tuner inside it: Blu Ray / DVD player / PC. Buy a display not a TV. Don't watch "live" TV only catch-up. Etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post
              There are (legal) ways around not having a tv licence. ie, don't own anything with a tuner inside it: Blu Ray / DVD player / PC. Buy a display not a TV. Don't watch "live" TV only catch-up. Etc. etc.
              I think that you should be arguing that point to TV Licensing themselves rather than myself.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Why not just tell movie cinema goers that they must hand in any mobile phones or bring in technology that can detect a mobile phone and if they have one theres a bleeping sound.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  Why not just tell movie cinema goers that they must hand in any mobile phones or bring in technology that can detect a mobile phone and if they have one theres a bleeping sound.
                  I used to get to go to a fair few advanced screenings through my wife's work, some of those you had to hand your mobile phone in at the door and they gave you a "cloakroom" type ticket to get it back at the end. Later on they dispelled with this as it took too long and instead had manual devices which scanned the auditorium at intervals and could detect cameras in use. Not much good for stopping people using phones but good for preventing leaks and piracy. I guess the dodgy people filming would have had their screen covered anyway to make it less obvious, which would be less annoying for the rest of the cinema goers.

I always turn my phone onto silent (all the time) and never look at it in the cinema, the only time I did was when I went to see The Last Jedi (poor, poor excuse for a film) and my second sun was due to be born that week. Had to keep checking my phone then just in case.

Comment

I visited the Bournemouth Odeon when I was down there on my birthday last week, and ironically enough I saw Spider-Man: Far From Home - I say ironically enough because as I was on holiday, I was "far from home" myself! The main reason I chose that film was because it was only 15 minutes before it started and so I didn't have to wait too long - so I put my card in the machine and got my ticket, and shown it to a staff member before going up the escalator to the relevant screen. I thought it was a Marvel cartoon film, but it was real life action of course, and the BBFC gave it a 12A certificate.

There was nothing on screen for 20 minutes and we were wondering what was happening - it can be a long time. However, a staff member came in and said that there was a technical problem which would soon be sorted - and it was. We got to see the scheduled film as planned. It is quite ironic that the only thing we missed out on as a result of that were actually the adverts and the trailers in which most of the audience couldn't have cared less about, although the waiting for the film to start was obviously a lot longer as it would be.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The adverts i can happily live without, but i like to watch the trailers for upcoming movies.... did you enjoy the movie George? as i had considered going myself but instead i went to see Mrs Lowry and son, a film about Salford artist LS Lowry and his strained relationship with his mother who was scathing about his paintings and constantly reminded him he would come to nothing if he pursued his craft....ofcourse his paintings now sell for millions

Comment

Yes, I enjoyed it. I don't go to the cinema very often just like the theatre, and so it is a treat when I do go and see a film.

I wonder whether the cinema loses advertising revenue if they cannot show adverts? I mean, I am not bothered at all about them to be honest, but I was wondering whether it actually worked in the same way as TV advertising does?
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

My partner and I loved it!
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                          X