Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Odeon cinemas.....never again!

Default Re: Odeon cinemas.....never again!

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    As I've said before, I haven't been to the cinema in 20+ years. Back then, few people had mobile phones, but I wondered if cinemas today had a phones off policy, as I can imagine endless bleeps and tunes from them would become very annoying.
    Not a policy as such but in vue cinemas before the main feature starts a patron announcement is made requesting phones be switched off and that people refrain from talking....needless to say both go ignored regularly
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Not a policy as such but in vue cinemas before the main feature starts a patron announcement is made requesting phones be switched off and that people refrain from talking....needless to say both go ignored regularly

It's sad and somewhat disturbing that so many people seem not to be able to switch off their phones for even the duration of a visit to the cinema. The phone is supposed to be the servant of the user, but often it appears to me that the user is the slave to the phone. As for talking, I don't remember it being much of an issue back in the 70s and 80s, in that people went to the cinema to see the film and talking was sparse and at low volume.

They should electronically block mobile phone signals in cinemas, so that they can't be used. I've never had a mobile phone myself and have never had any need for one. As I have no friends or family, the only people who would call me on them are cold callers and scammers. I do have a landline phone so that I can be connected to the Internet, but when the landlines are eventually faded out, I will lose my Internet connection for good. I would never go to a cinema nowadays since they stopped showing real celluloid films and went digital and I'm someone who grew up going to the cinema during the 1950s; 1960s and 1970s.

Also, the screens can be distracting...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRayner View Post
    They should electronically block mobile phone signals in cinemas, so that they can't be used. I've never had a mobile phone myself and have never had any need for one. As I have no friends or family, the only people who would call me on them are cold callers and scammers. I do have a landline phone so that I can be connected to the Internet, but when the landlines are eventually faded out, I will lose my Internet connection for good. I would never go to a cinema nowadays since they stopped showing real celluloid films and went digital and I'm someone who grew up going to the cinema during the 1950s; 1960s and 1970s.
    The same should happen regarding theatres as well where the actors on stage can really be disrupted if someone's phone going off, and that is more annoying because the performance is live - think of when the snooker is played at the Crucible and other places. Although I own a mobile phone myself, I am so used to landlines when it comes to making telephone calls and often forget to take it with me where I go! I can understand the cold callers and scammers - a few years back I lost a few hundred pounds because someone had taken advantage of me that way - the problem is that the police in recent years has downgraded it as a crime, and a bit like shoplifting, it is almost seen as a victimless crime. I am also someone who used use a VCR as well.

Going back to the cinemas, OK, a mobile phone going off won't obviously disrupt the actors in the film, but from an audience's perspective, it is just annoying. I don't mind the mobile phone travelling on the bus or walking down the street, but they should be at least handed into the reception when it comes to cinemas and theatres, and if bags needed to be search as a result, so be it. As I say, I have nothing to hide, and if cinema or theatre staff want to search my bag for mobile phones, sweets, knives, guns, etc, they can do so as I could easily prove that I don't carry any of those items on me. The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    The same should happen regarding theatres as well where the actors on stage can really be disrupted if someone's phone going off, and that is more annoying because the performance is live - think of when the snooker is played at the Crucible and other places. Although I own a mobile phone myself, I am so used to landlines when it comes to making telephone calls and often forget to take it with me where I go! I can understand the cold callers and scammers - a few years back I lost a few hundred pounds because someone had taken advantage of me that way - the problem is that the police in recent years has downgraded it as a crime, and a bit like shoplifting, it is almost seen as a victimless crime. I am also someone who used use a VCR as well.

Going back to the cinemas, OK, a mobile phone going off won't obviously disrupt the actors in the film, but from an audience's perspective, it is just annoying. I don't mind the mobile phone travelling on the bus or walking down the street, but they should be at least handed into the reception when it comes to cinemas and theatres, and if bags needed to be search as a result, so be it. As I say, I have nothing to hide, and if cinema or theatre staff want to search my bag for mobile phones, sweets, knives, guns, etc, they can do so as I could easily prove that I don't carry any of those items on me. The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say.
    To be fair i don't recall a phone ringing during a movie although i'm sure it happens, it's more about people checking facebook and the like which if the person is sat in front of you is a big distraction

Now that's even worse - doing social media when you are supposed to be watching a film. Pity that they can't until after the film before checking up on friends - most of it isn't even urgent in any case.

Now that's even worse - doing social media when you are supposed to be watching a film. Pity that they can't until after the film before checking up on friends - most of it isn't even urgent in any case.
    People often feel the need to report their every move to the world who are all waiting with baited breath to find out where you are, what you are doing and what you had for breakfast...i genuinely despair

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    People often feel the need to report their every move to the world who are all waiting with baited breath to find out where you are, what you are doing and what you had for breakfast...i genuinely despair
    It's the Big Brother society that we all live in these days.

Not quite free if you pay for a TV licence (like most people), but I take your point - it is cheaper in the long run.
    There are (legal) ways around not having a tv licence. ie, don't own anything with a tuner inside it: Blu Ray / DVD player / PC. Buy a display not a TV. Don't watch "live" TV only catch-up. Etc. etc.