British coastal towns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: British coastal towns

When it comes to booking package holidays for coastal resorts, be careful. I looked at the Shearings website and nearly decided to book their five day excursion for Bournemouth, only to find that the return journey home was on my birthday - the one day when I have always decided to stay at the destination, and that I have booked things for! Back to the drawing board, methinks...

At first, I thought that they weren't counting the outward and return journeys within those five days, but now I have realised that they were including those days as part of the journey.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

British coastal towns

I recall that when I was around ten years old ( so around 1968) we started hanging our annual holiday in SWANAGE !!!

I’ve never even heard its name mentioned since !

My dad was a keen fisherman so we spent much of each day rid fishing on the pier ... the only thing I recall was that there was a huge , glass tank on the pier that the local scuba club used to train new members ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Zincubus; 30-05-2019, 06:28.

Comment

South and North Shields have very recently now been added to my bucket list/ticked off list - which I am pleased to say

Southend and Lowestoft still remain targets though .... though I don't know when lol

Comment

Well, I visited Bournemouth last week and it was a relief to forget about the problems that I have recently had. Their local theatre was good as well... (see other thread for details).
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Been there once, I recall it had a good beach!

Attached Files
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I visited Scarborough at Easter, it was lovely, we stayed at The Grand, right near the tram that takes people up and down the steep hill. I first met my (late) husband in Scarborough and it was the first time I'd been back since his passing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
                I visited Scarborough at Easter, it was lovely, we stayed at The Grand, right near the tram that takes people up and down the steep hill. I first met my (late) husband in Scarborough and it was the first time I'd been back since his passing.
                I absolutely love Scarborough , it’s one of my three favourite places in the whole world along with St Ives and Lindos , Rhodes .

Incidentally there’s a brand new drama series starting tonight at 9pm .. based and filmed in Scarborough and interestingly called Scarborough

Comment

I visited Scarborough myself when the local bus company did Sunday daytrips in around August 1995, and the following week we went to Great Yarmouth. My late mother used to prefer East Coast towns rather than West Coast ones apparently.

Scarborough is obviously not too far from Bridlington which I was considering going to last year because Cannon and Ball were doing a season at the local theatre.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                    I absolutely love Scarborough , it’s one of my three favourite places in the whole world along with St Ives and Lindos , Rhodes .

Incidentally there’s a brand new drama series starting tonight at 9pm .. based and filmed in Scarborough and interestingly called Scarborough

Watched a very funny film the other week called "little voice" it was filmed in scarborough, the film starred Micheal (turn nothing down) caine who is seen in one scene leaving a pub which was renamed for the film but was once called The Leeds, the reason i mention it is because i once stayed there for a weekend....my claim to fame!
                    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                      I visited Scarborough myself when the local bus company did Sunday daytrips in around August 1995, and the following week we went to Great Yarmouth. My late mother used to prefer East Coast towns rather than West Coast ones apparently.

Scarborough is obviously not too far from Bridlington which I was considering going to last year because Cannon and Ball were doing a season at the local theatre.
                      Love that coast line...Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington and Whitby which is where count Dracula sailed into aboard the Demitar.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                        Love that coast line...Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington and Whitby which is where count Dracula sailed into aboard the Demitar.
                        Yeah ... many of my school hols seemed to involve those harbour towns then summer meant Cornwall

Comment

Yep - "Scabby" is highly thought of among the locals, I hear!
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

My sister was in Scabby with her family recently, she was sat outside the teapot cafe which is right up at the fairground end having a brew, she described hearing a screech of tyres and then a bang, she looked round to see a young father and his toddler son lay in the road after being knocked down by a motorist who had hit a wet patch of road and lost control, she said it spoilt the rest of her holiday...she never did find out if the lad and his dad survived

Comment

British coastal towns

Originally posted by tex View Post
                              My sister was in Scabby with her family recently, she was sat outside the teapot cafe which is right up at the fairground end having a brew, she described hearing a screech of tyres and then a bang, she looked round to see a young father and his toddler son lay in the road after being knocked down by a motorist who had hit a wet patch of road and lost control, she said it spoilt the rest of her holiday...she never did find out if the lad and his dad survived
                              That’s so very sad...

About ten years ago we were in Bridlington one evening watching the youngsters diving / jumping in the sea off the harbour wall .. there must have been a hundred people watching them and then suddenly there were screams of horror .. some local teenager thought it was funny to push one of the watchers off the wall into the sea BUT he actually pushed the poor lad down onto the STONE steps !!

Everyone stayed for ages as the ambulance guys worked on the lad on the steps .. I still don’t know why they just didn’t move him to the ambulance straight away .. I presume the lad must have survived as I saw that the culprit was charged with assault ..

We haven’t been back to Bridlington since

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                                That’s so very sad...

About ten years ago we were in Bridlington one evening watching the youngsters diving / jumping in the sea off the harbour wall .. there must have been a hundred people watching them and then suddenly there were screams of horror .. some local teenager thought it was funny to push one of the watchers off the wall into the sea BUT he actually pushed the poor lad down onto the STONE steps !!

Everyone stayed for ages as the ambulance guys worked on the lad on the steps .. I still don’t know why they just didn’t move him to the ambulance straight away .. I presume the lad must have survived as I saw that the culprit was charged with assault ..

We haven’t been back to Bridlington since

Patients who have fallen from a height can't be moved straight away Incase of neck/spinal injuries, they have to be assessed, then the rescue has to be risk assessed.
                                I've been out a few times with paramedics as I'm a junior doctor.☺

Comment

Working...
                                X