Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: British coastal towns

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
    I absolutely love Scarborough , it’s one of my three favourite places in the whole world along with St Ives and Lindos , Rhodes .

Incidentally there’s a brand new drama series starting tonight at 9pm .. based and filmed in Scarborough and interestingly called Scarborough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I didn't get to watch it as i was working night shifts. Was it any good?
    I've never been to St. Ives, it's a place I've wanted to visit for a while though. ☺

Comment

Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
      I didn't get to watch it as i was working night shifts. Was it any good?
      I've never been to St. Ives, it's a place I've wanted to visit for a while though. [emoji5]
      Well .... sadly the script didn’t live up to the Scarborough backdrop . The opening credits showing Scarborough was the highlight

Comment

Well .... sadly the script didn’t live up to the Scarborough backdrop . The opening credits showing Scarborough was the highlight

i agree, found it rather dull
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

That's a shame but i didn't miss much by the sound of it.
          I would love to see a documentary on Scarborough, I've looked a few times online but never had any luck.

Comment

Has anyone been to see Blackpool Illuminations yet? I usually go every year with my family, we drive the length of the prom taking in all the lights, then have fish and chips before we leave. We used to stay over but in recent years Blackpool has gone downhill, it's not the kind of place to have a family break there now, too many stag and hen parties for my liking, but I'll always visit each autumn just to see the lights. ☺

Comment

My maternal grandfather lived in Blackburn so, when we went to visit, we would often go to Blackpool. We are talking 30+ years ago!

The last time I went there was in the late 90s for a stag do.

Not (yet) ever been to the illuminations but would love to!

Attached Files
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Apart from the Blackpool Pontins that I mentioned at the beginning, my family went on a daytrip to Blackpool in 1992 - the day (or should I say night) that the illuminations were switched on that year by Lisa Stansfield (I don't remember her being the celebrity doing that in 1992, but online sources say that she did do the honours that year). We were there until after around 10.30 pm when the coach left Blackpool, and we got back to Nottingham at 1.30 am. My late mother actually left her handbag on the coach, so she spent the remainder of the early hours of the morning going to the depot to get it back again - by that time it was gone 3.00 am.

Something always happens when I go there - only a couple of years ago I went on another daytrip there, only the weather and the coach almost packing up meant that we only got as far as Manchester and that we had to turn round and go back again. We got vouchers for a free trip though which I used.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Has anyone been to see Blackpool Illuminations yet? I usually go every year with my family, we drive the length of the prom taking in all the lights, then have fish and chips before we leave. We used to stay over but in recent years Blackpool has gone downhill, it's not the kind of place to have a family break there now, too many stag and hen parties for my liking, but I'll always visit each autumn just to see the lights. [emoji5]
                  We’d only EVER go to Blackpool to see the illuminations and haven’t been for donkeys years .. oddly we are thinking of going this year .. but spending the afternoon at one of the nearby resorts , having tea there then hopping on a tram and do the the trip to Blackpool - through the Illuminations and back .

See the illuminations without even setting foot on Blackpool

The only quandary is that it’s got to be dark to appreciate the lights and I’m not sure I can spend the afternoon and early evening in Cleveleys or whatever as they appear to close the 5 o’clock and I never feel comfortable in pubs

Comment

This is a rather nice video

https://youtu.be/-qlP8kWZ0Mo

Comment

This is a rather nice video

https://youtu.be/-qlP8kWZ0Mo

Enjoyed that...this fella gets around!

Comment

Has anyone been to see Blackpool Illuminations yet? I usually go every year with my family, we drive the length of the prom taking in all the lights, then have fish and chips before we leave. We used to stay over but in recent years Blackpool has gone downhill, it's not the kind of place to have a family break there now, too many stag and hen parties for my liking, but I'll always visit each autumn just to see the lights. ☺
                        Blackpool is down the road from me here in Manchester, you are correct Nuggy it has been going downhill for decades in spite of millions being spent on the promenade, they need to shut all the grotty boarding houses, sweep the beggars off the pavements and ban hen parties. I also resent having to pay to enter the funfair Saw the illuminations last year....boring

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                          Blackpool is down the road from me here in Manchester, you are correct Nuggy it has been going downhill for decades in spite of millions being spent on the promenade, they need to shut all the grotty boarding houses, sweep the beggars off the pavements and ban hen parties. I also resent having to pay to enter the funfair Saw the illuminations last year....boring
                          This maybe false memory syndrome or something but about 15 years ago , my brother in law kindly took us just see the sea front and illuminations .. we parked up and started walking along the front and I’m sure that the first thing we saw was a lap dance / strip club !!

Comment

I would love to have a good look at that Comedy Carpet or whatever it is called in Blackpool - I believe that it has a lot of quotations and catchphrases from various comedians from the past. Has anyone had a good look at it for themselves?
                            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                              I would love to have a good look at that Comedy Carpet or whatever it is called in Blackpool - I believe that it has a lot of quotations and catchphrases from various comedians from the past. Has anyone had a good look at it for themselves?
                              Yes, saw it last year...Its best viewed from the top of the tower....sorry the pictures are upside down
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by tex; 12-09-2019, 08:57.

Comment

Off to Southport for a couple days, it's our 38th wedding anniversary

Comment

Working...
                                X