Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: British coastal towns

Default Re: British coastal towns

YES I LIKE THAT THOUGHT A MINI SWITZERLAND OR AUSTRIA

ANOTHER FAVE IS PORTRUSH PICS BELOW WHICH IS THE AS FAR NORTH AS U CAN GO.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sChav View Post
    Darren, the Irish Newcastle looks so qauint and amazing and so different to any Coastal town we have this side of the Water mate - it almost looks like a little Switzerland/or Austria from how I am visualizing this

This is a great thread you have created by the way George - I'd like to think I have been to a fair whack of the English Coastal Towns as I have sai in the "Holidays Thread", and i think Blackpool and Skeggy-Vegas (Skegness) are my faves!! The places I have not been - are like swaives of Devon and the East Down from Gt Yarmouth and Kent etc. You bit about Southend strikes a chord - as that is one place I have never been there and at one point would have termed it like Liverpool and Plymouth etc as it was so "London".

North and South Shields are two places on my list that are struggling to happen but i hope they. Re; Brid fair play to you as the "New" Spa is ace but as born and bread Yorkshireman I can say Brid really, really is a horrid place and gives Coastal Resorts a bad name - thougb of course even established and once very respected ones like scarbrough are arttracting un-desirables now sadly

80sChav
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    I love the east coast, used to go to scarborough every august bank holiday between 1990-2002 with my four brothers and my dad, when my dad died it was never quite the same and we stopped going.Great memories of days spent trawling the pubs of scarborough also train trips up the coast to whitby, Filey and Bridlington. Best fish and chips in the country to be found in scarborough
    We probably rubbed shoulders all those years without even knowing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    YES I LIKE THAT THOUGHT A MINI SWITZERLAND OR AUSTRIA

ANOTHER FAVE IS PORTRUSH PICS BELOW WHICH IS THE AS FAR NORTH AS U CAN GO.

Portrush looks lovely too Darren mate, it reminds me a bit of South Wales (or of pictures I have seen of it), but both Portrush and Newcastle are places in Ireland I'd desire to vist mate!!

Is'nt Larne a Seaside/Coastal Town too btw?

Yes Tex I have been to Blackpool and I think it needs more than TLC- though the place has been run-down 15 years or 20 I'd say, but it is terrible what has become of one of England's Greatest Resort I feel. It was so loved and now has gone the other way - I am safe to say too I think it was one of the only places on the Coasts that attracted people from all 4 Home Nations too in it's heyday!
    80sChav

I spent a large chunk of my childhood living in Devon. You know, the fat bit? We were smack bang in the middle of that and, with 19th century transport links seemingly still in place, it meant we could only get to the coast by car. Our car was a crapped-out old banger which meant doing that was a major undertaking (well, we couldn't overtake!)!

I used to like to go to Sidmouth - not much of a resort but the (apparently year-round) bracing weather was good for clearing the cobwebs away. And the cream teas - yum!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Larne is a seaport and industrial market town, as well as a civil parish, on the east coast of County Antrim.
    larne

Quote Originally Posted by 80sChav View Post
    Portrush looks lovely too Darren mate, it reminds me a bit of South Wales (or of pictures I have seen of it), but both Portrush and Newcastle are places in Ireland I'd desire to vist mate!!

Is'nt Larne a Seaside/Coastal Town too btw?

Yes Tex I have been to Blackpool and I think it needs more than TLC- though the place has been run-down 15 years or 20 I'd say, but it is terrible what has become of one of England's Greatest Resort I feel. It was so loved and now has gone the other way - I am safe to say too I think it was one of the only places on the Coasts that attracted people from all 4 Home Nations too in it's heyday!
    80sChav
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

When it comes to booking package holidays for coastal resorts, be careful. I looked at the Shearings website and nearly decided to book their five day excursion for Bournemouth, only to find that the return journey home was on my birthday - the one day when I have always decided to stay at the destination, and that I have booked things for! Back to the drawing board, methinks...

At first, I thought that they weren't counting the outward and return journeys within those five days, but now I have realised that they were including those days as part of the journey.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Default British coastal towns

I recall that when I was around ten years old ( so around 1968) we started hanging our annual holiday in SWANAGE !!!

Iíve never even heard its name mentioned since !

My dad was a keen fisherman so we spent much of each day rid fishing on the pier ... the only thing I recall was that there was a huge , glass tank on the pier that the local scuba club used to train new members ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 30-05-2019 at 06:28.

South and North Shields have very recently now been added to my bucket list/ticked off list - which I am pleased to say

Southend and Lowestoft still remain targets though .... though I don't know when lol