Royal Births

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Births

On Monday (for those who wasn't keeping both eyes on the Higgins-Trump snooker final), you will know that the Meghan, Duchess of Sussex had gone into labour and had given birth to a lovely baby boy. Even the side of Nottingham's Victoria Centre building on Tuesday, Intu had congratulated the Royal couple on their birth, and so do I for that matter.

I quite like the choice of name - Archie Harrison. Archie is short for Archibald (hence lots of newborn babies have yet to have hair on their heads), and Harrison - Harry's son, do you see? I cottoned onto that one straight away, and it made me think that that sort of name would not have worked for son of, Magnus Magnusson, let's say. Baby Archie shares his birthday with Tony Blair which is obviously just a coincidence of course.

It was such a joy when William and Kate's firstborn Prince George was born in 2013, not only because he was called George (natch), but also I thought that for the first time, I realised that if the tradition of sending greetings to centenarians is still going in 2078 which is the year that I turn 100 if I ever live that long, I am almost certain that he will be king by then, (unless some Green Party-supporting Republicans end up getting their own way and doing a anti-Royal "Brexit" in a referendum between now and then). An ancestor of mine who was born in 1891 was in his mid 30s when Elizabeth, later Queen was born, a similar age as I was when Prince George was born, and he would have had greetings from Queen Elizabeth II if he had lived to be 100 as well.

OK, I like the Royal Family and I think that it is a reason to be positive as a British person. I know that it doesn't mean too much to people, but I thought that the news was nice - a lot nicer than some of the stuff that is happening at the moment.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Royal Births

The President of the United States found time to compete in a world snooker final???
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

When Charles becomes King, he can choose by which of his four fore-names he is known.

He is unlikely to want to become King Charles III, due to connotations with the Civil War.

He could be King Philip I, to honour his father, but would most likely opt for King George VII, due to his wife's lineage.

I really, really hope he goes for an off-the-wall choice, though! He could be - whisper it! - King Arthur!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
        When Charles becomes King, he can choose by which of his four fore-names he is known.

He is unlikely to want to become King Charles III, due to connotations with the Civil War.

He could be King Philip I, to honour his father, but would most likely opt for King George VII, due to his wife's lineage.

I really, really hope he goes for an off-the-wall choice, though! He could be - whisper it! - King Arthur!!!
        He should go for Roland ( Rat)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
          The President of the United States found time to compete in a world snooker final???
          I mentioned this on the snooker thread a couple of days ago - I had wondered whether this was the first time that a snooker player with the same surname as an incumbent American president had won a snooker tournament while they were in office?

Joe "Lyndon B" Johnson; Ali "Jimmy" Carter; Kyren "Woodrow" Wilson, etc.

Back on topic, for the benefit of this forum (which I had forgot to mention in my opening gambit), I am also extending the discussion to 1970s to 1990s Royal births as well.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I overheard two teenage girls talking about the baby’s name today ... one said

“ I thought they’d have called it Leeroy “

????

Comment

Is it just me or has there not been such a big interest in this royal birth as there was in will and kate's most recent baby.
              Lost count of how many they have.lost count of how many royal babies theres been in recent yrs.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think that it's to do with the probability of the baby becoming a future king, but when you think about it, little Archie has almost a better chance than Prince Andrew or Princess Anne!
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                  I think that it's to do with the probability of the baby becoming a future king, but when you think about it, little Archie has almost a better chance than Prince Andrew or Princess Anne!

He's 7th in line, behind Prince Charles, William, his 3 children and Harry, so exceedingly unlikely to ascend the throne, the line almost certain to move down William's children.

Comment

After Harry was born, there was at least one Spitting Image sketch that portrayed William as a Damien-style figure plotting to get rid of baby Harry. I think I remember either puppet Charles or Diana saying to William that they all have to love baby Harry. I think William is then left alone and says something like "I'll love him all right, I'll love him to death!" with a demonic expression. Think there was a bit of controversy at the time.

Comment

Who saw Danny Baker's Tweet re this royal birth?
                      sigpic
                      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Not me, but I am finding it ironic that BBC 2 have shown a documentary film about chimpanzees at 10.00 am on Saturday morning, which would have been the same time that Danny Baker's radio show would have been on Radio Five Live - ironic of course, considering the controversy of Baker's tweet. Saying that, the two are otherwise unconnected.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                          I overheard two teenage girls talking about the baby’s name today ... one said

“ I thought they’d have called it Leeroy “

????

I was going for Princey McPrinceface! That's £10 I won't see again!

Comment

And Archie's grandad will be crowned on his birthday next year... May the sixth be with you.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                            X