Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Television programmes that were suspended or postponed

Default Re: Television programmes that were suspended or postponed

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I remember James Whale being suspended from his radio show for plugging Boris Johnson's run for Mayor.
    It does feel like double standards when newspapers can print "vote Labour" on their front pages of rags like the Daily Mirror has done so for donkey's years, yet, when it comes to TV media, one has to be impartial. A little bit like how Pete Murray expressed his political views on Breakfast Time in the run of to the 1983 General Election, and caused controversy as a result. At the end of the day, both tells us the news.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

There was sometihng with Frankie Howerd set in the Second World War in which was mothballed due to the Falklands & not shown for years afterwards. Soldier Soldier was also held back a few months because of the Gulf War.
    It was called "Then Churchill Said To Me" - it was shown on UK Gold in 1993 (before I had cable or satellite), and it was eventually on BBC 2 on Saturday afternoons circa August 2000.

One that comes to mind is Mini Pops (without looking, I think I've posted this elsewhere on DYR).

Not long after Channel 4 opened in November '82 (IIRC), Mini Pops was commissioned

Mini Pops starred pre-pubescent kids, dancing to hit songs of the day, dressed up like Maddona & the like

Complaints were recieved by C4. Mini Pops was bordering on paedophilia. Obviously the kids involved loved it (all kids want to act grown up)

The commissioning editor pulled the show

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

"Heil Honey, I'm Home..." only one episode broadcast before it was pulled

yes that one of the first shows i thought of.

i remember watching its all right in the 80;s and nina myskow.

another is hbo;s luck

Dustin Hoffman and Anthony Hopkins starred on the drama that aired on HBO for one season in 2011. "Luck" was renewed in 2012, but during production for the second season, the show was accused of mistreating animals on set.
    Three horses reportedly died during production, and animal rights groups like PETA slammed the show. HBO ultimately canceled the show and released a statement.
    In the statement, the network said that they "maintained the highest safety standards throughout production, higher in fact than any protocols existing in horse racing anywhere with many fewer incidents than occur in racing or than befall horses normally in barns at night or pastures."
    The following year, Hoffman told Fox News that TMZ and PETA teamed up and spread "distorted" information about conditions on the set of "Luck."

Quote Originally Posted by Twocky61 View Post
    One that comes to mind is Mini Pops (without looking, I think I've posted this elsewhere on DYR).

Not long after Channel 4 opened in November '82 (IIRC), Mini Pops was commissioned

Mini Pops starred pre-pubescent kids, dancing to hit songs of the day, dressed up like Maddona & the like

Complaints were recieved by C4. Mini Pops was bordering on paedophilia. Obviously the kids involved loved it (all kids want to act grown up)

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Hardwick Hall was dropped during it's only series IIRC.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Hardwick Hall was dropped during it's only series IIRC.
    Hardwicke House it was actually called - to add insult to injury, it was actually filmed at a former girls' school which was less than a mile from where I used to live. It has comparisons with Grange Hill by virtue or being a school based series (well, it would have been a series if it had progressed of course), and also the fact that Roger Sloman had appeared in the first episodes of both series.

Central were a bit like the Carlton of the 1980s (ironically enough considering the takeover in the mid 1990s) as they were very liberalised when it came to new TV series that the mainstream audiences were not quite ready for - series such as those made by the Junior Television Workshop such as Your Mother Wouldn't Like It for example - even back then it felt Channel 4-esque and non-Children's ITV in its style. Series that felt a lot more like Channel 4 programmes rather than mainstream ITV back then - Girls on Top was another example which made it to Channel 4 - some programmes that ATV would have never had made.

The irony in that respect was that Hardwicke House was axed after two episodes and was replaced on ITV by Thames sitcom Chance in a Million which was actually a Channel 4 programme and was indeed more mainstream in comparison.

It was one of the very first issues dealt with on Right to Reply - and there have been comparisons in recent years as well. Some of the Reality TV channels often show American beauty pageants where youngsters are dressed too maturely for their age which indeed does send to a shock to the system at times - the name JonBenét Ramsey comes to mind - one can easily understand why this sort of thing has not taken off in Great Britain, mostly because we are not the United States and so American traditions do not stand well on British soil and never really has done. Black Friday, anyone?

Apparently, when Channel 4 launched in November 1982, there seemed to be a parody that the channel had only shown programmes about social workers, the Health and Safety Executive, men in tweed jackets and the like which wouldn't make much of a good viewing next to something with Bob Monkhouse or Morecambe and Wise appearing on ITV, unless Border had decided to screen it after News at Ten where around a dozen viewers would have seen it.

But even a decade before Minipops, Yorkshire Television had shown a series called Junior Showtime which feels almost in the same vein as Minipops by virtue of youngsters pretending to be adults and singing and all that. It made the list of the 100 Worst TV Moments or whatever it was called by Channel 4. I suppose it was a lot more innocent in comparison, but it was made around 1972, and featured future Emmerdale actors when they were a lot younger - some of those Before they were Famous programmes seem to use archive episodes to pick out the famous when they weren't quite as famous back then.

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Coverage of the grand national some years ago due to i believe a terrorist threat? (happy to be corrected)
    Remember the Grand National that was a complete fiasco?? They tried 3 or 4 times to start the race, but stuff kept going wrong.

That show was quite popular (not with me BTW) until it was taken off air.