Music and news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music and news

In the late 80s an 90s I recall watching programmes aired on BBC 2, which included pop music of a particular year and news events. Each episode related to a particular year and ran for 30 minutes.
    Any ideas what the name of the show was? Also, if a dvd is available. Thanks.

Re: Music and news

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
    In the late 80s an 90s I recall watching programmes aired on BBC 2, which included pop music of a particular year and news events. Each episode related to a particular year and ran for 30 minutes.
    Any ideas what the name of the show was? Also, if a dvd is available. Thanks.
    Sounds like the Rock & Roll Years.

Unfortunately due to the amount of songs & clips used it's never been released on a home format.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Sounds (no pun intended) like a lot of things such as TOTP2 or something, but I would go with Richard's guess - I wonder whether the years were at random or were in chronological order?

The TV show Windmill which was seen around 1986-1987 could also have had some music themed episodes as it was an archive TV programme looking back of 50 years of BBC Television.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Just checked it out on YouTube; indeed it is the Rock and Roll Years, which is what I was seeking to recall. I do remember the shows been aired in chronological order. It was a fantastic show introducing music and news events of the time.
        It should be given a slot these days on terrestrial TV so the younger generation can admire the music from the past that outstrips the rubbish we have now. Also, what life was like over 40 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
          Just checked it out on YouTube; indeed it is the Rock and Roll Years, which is what I was seeking to recall. I do remember the shows been aired in chronological order. It was a fantastic show introducing music and news events of the time.
          It should be given a slot these days on terrestrial TV so the younger generation can admire the music from the past that outstrips the rubbish we have now. Also, what life was like over 40 years ago.

I do agree, though I fear that the reaction of too many would be just to laugh at the 'funny' fashions and hairstyles, not understanding that in 40 years time, the younger generation of 2059 will be as equally mocking of today's fashions and hairstyles.

I remember that in the late 70s or early 80s the Rock 'n' Roll Years actually began life as a series on Radio 1--sunday evenings I think--and was repeated at least once.

Comment

Also to remind people that everything wasn't better in the past, some years were quite depressing to watch.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
            X