Thread: <=TROOP=> clothing/footwear brand.

Default <=TROOP=> clothing/footwear brand.

Not sure if any of you remember this brand but in the late 80s this brand appeared and were embraced by some of us into Hip Hop, they seemed to "sponsor" some rappers of the day including LL Cool J, Stetsasonic, Ultramagnetic MCs, even MC Hammer. This was early product placement and enough to make the brand wanted by fans. Unfortunately it came crashing down later due to a (false) rumour that it was owned by the KKK.

Anyway, it's back and I ordered myself a pair of Cobras, like I had back in the day but in a different colour.

Anyone else remember this brand?

Default Re: <=TROOP=> clothing/footwear brand.

Hi Mulletino

Th4ese look good - not my Cuppa (though i can not remember them). They remind me of Baseball and Mauler on Greange Hill and his Gird Iron Crew!

How cool mate!! thanks for the Head's Up here

80sChav

Anyway, it's back and I ordered myself a pair of Cobras, like I had back in the day but in a different colour.

Anyone else remember this brand?[/QUOTE]

I know that we are so influenced by the United States (sometimes it really cannot be helped), but did anyone in Great Britain really wear them back then? They look very much limited to American Football or baseball.

As far as I am concerned, Hip Hop is basically Chip Shop without the first letters included. I just couldn't believe that 1988 Grange Hill even gave prominent mention to this (mind you, for a BBC series, they gave prominent product placement to Miss Selfridge as well...)
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I know that we are so influenced by the United States (sometimes it really cannot be helped), but did anyone in Great Britain really wear them back then? They look very much limited to American Football or baseball.

As far as I am concerned, Hip Hop is basically Chip Shop without the first letters included. I just couldn't believe that 1988 Grange Hill even gave prominent mention to this (mind you, for a BBC series, they gave prominent product placement to Miss Selfridge as well...)
    True George I see your points - though i don't mind certain Hip Hopa nd Rap etc - though yes we are definitley influenced by American Culture and I dreadto dare to admitt I had a similar-ish type Yankees Bomber Jacket my dad brought me from America in the mid 90s to early noughties!

I could not know even consume admitting that it was the art of cool - it was the most rancid thing to

Though of course too - as much as I would dearly love to see America one day and experience their Culture (to ever grace my wardrobe going 9and that is really saying something) and even by the shoulder padding you could see where it's influences had come from (in Baseball). Though yes I did consider very misguildingly that it was ultra cool Lol

In saying all this yes I want to see America one day and see how they live and work and see if the old saying is true "that America got the better deal, when UK people founded there) as I am certain (though might be wrong and would stand corrected) that they don't have mutipule chain stores etc like we do and that is one Aspect plus the Route 66 thing I want to visit - where there was a Cafe every so many miles in the old days!

Those are the things I love about America - but like with Football (Soccer to American's) I detest how they add silly names onto City or Town names like La Lakers may-be or Dallas Diamonds - that represents no class structure like Del Boy tried to explain (and got himself only just out of amess) when he tried to emigrate to Australia (and which I thought was mis-guided extremley as Australia has so so much class it oozes it in buckets going back to Ned Kelly's day's (and how he stood out as a hero to the native's) but for American and this razzmataz of whatever Sports Game (Baseball/Football Aka Soccer) the Jackets like here is'nt class and all the trimmings that go with the event (and this is even going back to the World Cup in 1994) which is extremley lavgish in the Opening Ceromy but made way way easier by "the Queen of Soul herslef - Diana ross" adding some splendid Soul of another version in Musical terms

80sChav

Mind you, I used to dress a bit more conservatively (in comparison to that anyway) back then, so anything like that would have been alien to me.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Yeah Hip Hop culture in the UK then was heavily influenced by the USA, all the popular gear was american, Nike's Air Jordans, Baskeball boots/clothes, I even used to wear Baseball tops despite never having been to a game, it was just the fashion.
    Mind you, I used to wear clothing made by a UK company that was sold out of Hyper Hyper in Kensington, the only place local that sold it, the brand was called G-Force, it was mainly two tone matching tops/bottoms which were a baggy fit in a kind of Zoot suit style but industrial looking. I tucked the bottoms into my argyle socks to make them look better.

Troop lasted a bit longer in the UK than America as someone had started a rumour it was owned by the KKK (it wasn't) which pretty much killed it for the youth there.

Found an old 80s pic of Hyper Hyper, loved that place! Was opposite (almost) Kensington Market.

I just remembered after I got out of my homeboy phase in the early/mid 90s i used to get my Ted Baker gear there too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    Found an old 80s pic of Hyper Hyper, loved that place! Was opposite (almost) Kensington Market.

I just remembered after I got out of my homeboy phase in the early/mid 90s i used to get my Ted Baker gear there too!

Very nice Mulletino
    I only have a Ted baker jumper and that was years after leaving School, but sure I'd of worn it in my youth as with the Slim Tie (dune thin) it all adds and amounts to a similar hey? Though too that Kensington is Central London - I do like these Jean type places that sell up and coming stuuff that basicaly add up to T-Shirts/Jeans ad Shirts - that was how I discovered Henley's T-Shirts through placesb as so on the edge of City's and Towns! I dunno if you have said places in Australia may-be?

80sChav