Teachers who had left the school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers who had left the school

When you were at school, did being at school feel a bit strange after a familiar teacher had left or retired, and so they were no longer at the school?

It's almost as if they had completely disappeared from the face of the Earth if you like - just like at weekends, as Roald Dahl's Matilda had observed - teachers appear from nowhere from 8.30 am to 4.00 pm Monday to Friday, and then at weekends and holidays they disappear, unless, and they come back for the next school day, unless they have a day off in the week as well due to working part-time. But I am referring to those who leave for the last time, and it is just as strange seeing new teachers there who had probably taken their place. It feels as if the person in question has passed away or something.

Perhaps it was the first day of term and you find a different teacher inside a classroom with seemed to be strongly associated by one teacher?

At the end of Year 4 (Second Year Juniors as it was back in July 1987), our class teacher left to go to a teaching post on the other side of the world, and in September of that year when we had came back from the summer holidays, it felt strange passing by her old classroom, knowing she was no longer there. Some even referred to the room as "Mrs So-and-so's Room" a few years after she had left. On the other hand, one or two teachers who had retired had come back on the odd day to do some supply teaching, and there was one teacher who left my Infant school to reappear at my Junior school a couple of years later!

We had a form tutor who left at Christmas 1989 and so we had someone else for the spring and summer term which I felt was a bit hectic leaving in the middle of the school year, even if it was at the end of the calendar year. And the probability is that when a nice teacher leaves, her successor will always be someone who is strict - it always seemed to happen like that, doesn't it?

Me and a few others gave our Science teacher a good send off when she retired in July 1992 after 18 years' service - she threw a special lunch in her room over lunch on the final day, and as monitors we were allowed to be part of it. There was a Maths teacher who left just after two terms and she was alright - shall we say that her replacement was strict in comparison? The school staff list in the parents' handbook had listed a teacher's name who had left the previous July in error, while his replacement wasn't listed on that page. And someone had asked another teacher where Miss X was having been to her old room, only to realise that she had left the previous July as well.

And the same school had closed three years later, which meant all the teachers had left to go onto pastures new - I have always wondered which ones would have left or retired anyway, even if the school had remained open.

Did it really feel strange going to school and realising that some familiar faces have moved on?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Teachers who had left the school

One of our teachers was busted for having sex with a pupil...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Quite a few teachers left coincidently while I was at the same school - someone used to say that I was the reason why they were leaving! I know that it wasn't of course...
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I distinctly recall like it was yesterday. In 1978 in the classroom, a temp teacher addressed the class. He had red watery eyes. He stated that the deputy head Mr x had died of a heart attack during the weekend. There was this almighty cheer in the classroom. The teacher became angry. Then some of us (including me) informed him how we'd been caned by the b..... d

Comment

I had a few teacher leave the schools I was at, but none of them were for anything dramatic, normally because they were going to teach at another school, or going on maternity leave.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I’ve told this story before but ...

We had this stunningly beautiful, statuesque female teacher ( English) who wore rather short skirts - and perched on the edge of tables ( gulp)
            I detested English ( being dyslexic- which wasn’t even s thing in the 70’s) but always looked forwards to her lessons

We were all devastated when she and a Male geography teacher were both ‘moved on’ after they were ‘caught’ studying the finer points of fornication in the humanities office ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
              I’ve told this story before but ...

We had this stunningly beautiful, statuesque female teacher ( English) who wore rather short skirts - and perched on the edge of tables ( gulp)
              I detested English ( being dyslexic- which wasn’t even s thing in the 70’s) but always looked forwards to her lessons
              She reminds me of that French teacher character who appeared in that Taggart episode Violent Delights (first seen on New Year's Day in 1992) , and was very Sylvia Kristel-esque in her identity.

My school briefly had one who was French by both subject and nationality.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                I had a few teacher leave the schools I was at, but none of them were for anything dramatic, normally because they were going to teach at another school, or going on maternity leave.
                Yes, that is what I mean. It's amazing that one or two teachers arrive that I see for the first time, and I obviously think that they are new to the school, but when it came to, they had already taught at the same school prior to me starting there, and were probably left for a couple of years on a secondment or maternity leave.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                X