Jump magazine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump magazine?

Ok this is a VERY precarious memory so forgive me if I find out it was just a figment of my imagination!!

I seem to remember a magazine, designed for kids, I was living in Scotland at the time so couldn't have been more than 4 years old. - So it was around in about 1986-ish. Called Jump? (I think?) - it had cartoon strips (i think it had a frog as a mascot), "how to" activities, articles...oh I dunno, did I make the whole thing up?

Re: Jump magazine?

Think you may have imagined it

Comment

this is a tough one solo. still looking though
      Heather

Comment

No, you didn't imagine it all - and thank god I've finally found someone else who remembers it! I've searched everywhere but it's as if it never existed - there are no old copies anywhere and nobody ever talks about it!

I don't remember what years it existed between, I just know that it stopped suddenly. I had a subscription (it was a monthly magazine) and one time it just stopped coming and it was never available again. A sad day. I think I must have been about 7 when it stopped, so it would have been around 1990-1991.

I remember it quite clearly; there was the cartoon strip (well, usually 3 pages actually) of Professor Blither, (best thing about the whole magazine!) usually a couple of illustrated poems, a read-aloud story, some kind of feature on just about anything (nature, foreign countries etc) with facts and photos. There'd often be a book review, always a competition (I won one once!) and at the end there'd be a page where there were the results of a previous competition where something had to be sent in, like a poem, drawing, collage etc. Oh and Lucy Goose!

I'm pretty certain I don't have any copies left - I always tried to keep them but I think over the years they were quietly thrown away by various clutter-hating members of my family. It's funny, I always had a feeling there was a good reason why I should keep them; they're probably collectors' items by now!

Hope this has helped to reassure you you're not going insane and has brought back some happy memories!

xx

Comment

Oh Eponine - thank you thank you THANK YOU!! I knew I was nuts anyway but I'm sure I couldn't have dreamed up a complete magazine, LOL!

The hunt is on!!

Comment

ok i saw lucy goose mentioned did a search for her and emailed the author
            got a email back this morning with this info

Hi Jo

The are absolutely right.
            Jump! was published by Two-can Ltd and lasted about 3 years.
            I did the Lucy Goose intros and some stories for it. Two-can went on to do the Young Telegraph magazine, Playdays for the BBC and Earthmatters for Friends of the Earth. Then they got taken over. Lucy went on to hatch a gosling, Baby Goz, who is still going strong.
            I have copies of the magazine, I’ll have to see about putting something up on the web site.

All the Best

steve

steve and sue Weatherill

Authors & Illustrator

Memorial Lane, Gedney Dyke, Spalding, Lincs PE12 0AN

Phone 01406 363709 email steve@babygoz.co.uk

http://www.weatherill.ndo.co.uk/babygoz/

guess he means the above website?? i contacted them through a different one though
            this one
            http://www.weatherill.ndo.co.uk/lucygoose/

hope some of that info helps
            Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
            Those who live in the past are already repeating it.

Comment

Wow Jo that was nice of you to go to so much trouble.
              Heather

Comment

it was no trouble at all
                a couple of clicks and a email lol,
                Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
                Those who live in the past are already repeating it.

Comment

Oh wow, you star! Thanks!

And they are from Spalding, wow I only live about 40 mins from there LOL

Comment

Here's a leaflet advertising the magazine.

Last edited by davidthomas27; 21-07-2008, 14:26.

Comment

Just found a load of Jump Mag in the attic.

Comment

Originally posted by davidthomas27 View Post
                        Here's a leaflet advertising the magazine.

Fantastic, =D.

Also great to hear noodlehendon just found some issues in the attic. =).

Eponine83 is right - Professor Blither was amazing! ^_^.

Is anyone able to scan in old issues of Jump! ...?
                        I'd particularly like to read the Professor Blither comic strips again, =).

Does anyone know who they were drawn/written by?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X