Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 58

Thread: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,069

    Default Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

    Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    YES THIS FAMOUS SCENE COULD BE SAID TO BE CLOSE TO THE BONE WITH BASIL.

    https://youtu.be/yfl6Lu3xQW0

    BIRDS OF A FEATHER I DIDNT THINK WAS THAT BAD CERTAINLY IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS TILL DEATH DO US PART WHICH IVE BEEN WATCHING WAS SURPRISED TO SEE UNA STUBBS IN IT.

    A FEW THINGS ALF SAYS NO WAY WOULD U HEAR THAT ON TV TODAY.
    Aka Alf's visit
    true ia gree here with you Darren about but even though it was not liked (or certainly wou;d'nt be now), it was in jest re about other Country's in In Sickness and In Health and in Fawlty Towers. Like the Australain Episodes in In Sickness And In Health - which I am pretty certain was filmed in Australia too, so that shows no hard feelings in a way either

    Though Basil riled Mr and Mrs Hamilton up the wrong way in FT - that shows how the UK can create homuor in comedy - even though it was over the top as I could not see many other Country's giving it out in the same way as obviously Basil and the Hamiltons was clash of culture etc

    80sChav

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

    Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Political correctness has got a lot to do with this especially when it comes to stereotypes in sitcoms such as Love They Neighbour, Curry and Chips and of course Mind Your Language - I am surprised that Rising Damp is still shown on ITV 3 considering Rigsby's way of getting on with Don Warrington and Richard Beckinsale's characters. I am certain that even Sid James had the odd "off-moment" in Bless This House as well. The Black and White Minstrel Show, anyone?
    If only PC was the main reason to blame. Then I would be EVEN MORE ALL FOR IT!! But in reality, the reason why these programmes are no longer shown is because they have dated very badly; I've been watching The Gentle Touch on a certain satelite channel, and it really is quite laughable to see the old fashions and cars again. And to see the police always getting their man...or woman, when in reality very few "villains" get charged even if they are caught. The mad knifeman at the airport in today's news is a good example.

    Benny Hill was sacked by Thames in 1989 because of they felt that his shows had ran his course, but I think that it was political correctness that was to blame - three years later, he was dead in his flat probably because of what had happened.
    Purely your opinion. Because I saw a documentary where someone from Thames TV explained to him that, things had moved on so they decided not to commision another series. As I recall, comedians such as Ben Elton, French & Saunders, etc. were all the rage around the late '80s and Hill's type of comedy with half naked girlies running around just was not funny anymore. Benny Hill was a very manipulative man; Some of the Hill's Angels explained on the show, how he promised each of them individually that he would leave them money in his will, which he did not. The DVDs are out there for anyone who wants to watch that stuff. Even available free on You Tube in some cases. Television has ALWAYS moved forward. It has too, or we would still have ITV starting in the afternoon, then shutting down after a few hours like it did in the 1950s!! Other reasons you have pointed out - The scandalous lives of personalities have emerged since their time on TV; Stuart Hall / Saville / Glitter / Jonathon King et al. You should be more outraged by the fact that, the Beeb showed a tribute programme to Mr Saville while in full knowledge of his exploits in the past, and even ditched an investigation programme into them instead. That's disgraceful!!

    And one aspect of TV programmes are basically not shown anymore as they are left behind in the 20th century i.e. they are regarded as being out of date - remember when ITV used to have Rainbow at 12.10 pm, and Children's ITV was on at 4.00 pm? And instead of sickening talk shows at 9.30 am, they had schools programmes? It's a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire where ironically, a lot of Reality TV programmes would have been frowned by the IBA in its time but seems to be the norm these days. I would like to see game shows on ITV at 7.00 pm, but as Emmerdale is on there in that slot for the next few decades, I doubt that we will ever get to see them on there again.
    Precisely! Youngsters don't rush home from school to watch TV the way I would've done years ago to see some Grange Hill or Runaround They have internet / mobiles / anti-social media to take up their short attention spans. Emmerdale is just a complete joke now and alas, there are viewers for these "reality" shows so they will still be made.

    I actually think that Rising Damp SHOULD be made today considering the climate with rouge landlords etc. It would be a hilarious satire if well written and acted.
    Last edited by agfagaevart; 04-06-2019 at 13:20.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    2,531

    Default Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

    Quote Originally Posted by agfagaevart View Post
    If only PC was the main reason to blame. Then I would be EVEN MORE ALL FOR IT!! But in reality, the reason why these programmes are no longer shown is because they have dated very badly; I've been watching The Gentle Touch on a certain satelite channel, and it really is quite laughable to see the old fashions and cars again. And to see the police always getting their man...or woman, when in reality very few "villains" get charged even if they are caught. The mad knifeman at the airport in today's news is a good example.
    Lots of these programmes have become dated over time, and I believe that issues such as political correctness has reinforced that further, even though PC wouldn't have made them dated on their own. My earliest memories was in the early 1980s so therefore I don't remember anything about the 1970s - that decade has always been dated to myself. There is the "flares and tank tops" dated factor, and there is the "you wouldn't get away with saying that now" factor - the first one is more concrete and therefore more apparent in order for something to do dated.

    Quote Originally Posted by agfagaevart View Post
    Purely your opinion. Because I saw a documentary where someone from Thames TV explained to him that, things had moved on so they decided not to commision another series. As I recall, comedians such as Ben Elton, French & Saunders, etc. were all the rage around the late '80s and Hill's type of comedy with half naked girlies running around just was not funny anymore. Benny Hill was a very manipulative man; Some of the Hill's Angels explained on the show, how he promised each of them individually that he would leave them money in his will, which he did not.
    The rise of alternative comedians in the mid to late 1980s was the nail in the coffin for acts just like Benny Hill, I don't deny that. Mark Lewisohn said in his Radio Times comedy book that as early as 1984 Hill started to look as if he was about to do into decline, and also commented on the fact of his health as well - he put on weight quite a lot at the time, and probably was a candidate for a future heart attack because of his then lifestyle. Larry Grayson was someone else who had a higher profile in the 1970s but by the mid 1980s he wasn't seen as often on TV. Alternative comedians were like the modernisation of comedy, and so in addition, made Hill and Grayson look dated in comparison - political correctness also seems as if things have been pulled back into the past as well.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

    Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Lots of these programmes have become dated over time, and I believe that issues such as political correctness has reinforced that further, even though PC wouldn't have made them dated on their own. My earliest memories was in the early 1980s so therefore I don't remember anything about the 1970s - that decade has always been dated to myself. There is the "flares and tank tops" dated factor, and there is the "you wouldn't get away with saying that now" factor - the first one is more concrete and therefore more apparent in order for something to do dated.
    You didn't experience the 1970s. That's an important thing to take into account. I remember quite a few things about the '70s - both good and bad. And we certainly don't need those bad things to be around us in the 21st century. Thank god for PC if it were responsible, but I just think that it is coincidence that there was a shift in attidutes to what is and is not acceptable anymore, and a new wave of artists getting their breakthrough. And I really can't understand why people can't just accept change. If it wasn't for change, there would still be shops closing around 6pm in the evening. TV stations signing off at midnight, etc. etc. Why do people hark back to days when it was acceptable to have offensive programmes on the television?? I cannot fathom their frustration with having to be polite and not offend someone - It isn't that difficult really. We don't need to have shows like Love Thy Neighbour on mainstream TV anymore. Those days are over never to return. It has been done! Those shows can be bought on various media and watched in private. It's not illegal or impossible to do this. UNLIKE seeing the original versions of Star Wars - but that's another issue for another thread / site.

    I liked the Professionals and Mind Your Language. And the Sweeney which I saw first time around. I've had a few of those series on DVD for years, just as well because ITV's current showings of the Pros and Sween are heavily cut as they're shown at the wrong time - before the watershed - if that still exists...


    The rise of alternative comedians in the mid to late 1980s was the nail in the coffin for acts just like Benny Hill, I don't deny that. Mark Lewisohn said in his Radio Times comedy book that as early as 1984 Hill started to look as if he was about to do into decline, and also commented on the fact of his health as well - he put on weight quite a lot at the time, and probably was a candidate for a future heart attack because of his then lifestyle. Larry Grayson was someone else who had a higher profile in the 1970s but by the mid 1980s he wasn't seen as often on TV. Alternative comedians were like the modernisation of comedy, and so in addition, made Hill and Grayson look dated in comparison - political correctness also seems as if things have been pulled back into the past as well.
    PC was not always to blame; A good example of what I mean is Mike Yarwood. His comedy was quite twee and not really offensive. But he became unfashionable by the early 1980s. And alas he had some personal issues which took him off TV for a while. So momentum was lost. Times change. We need to move on...

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    2,531

    Default Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

    Quote Originally Posted by agfagaevart View Post
    You didn't experience the 1970s. That's an important thing to take into account. I remember quite a few things about the '70s - both good and bad. And we certainly don't need those bad things to be around us in the 21st century. Thank god for PC if it were responsible, but I just think that it is coincidence that there was a shift in attidutes to what is and is not acceptable anymore, and a new wave of artists getting their breakthrough. And I really can't understand why people can't just accept change. If it wasn't for change, there would still be shops closing around 6pm in the evening. TV stations signing off at midnight, etc. etc. Why do people hark back to days when it was acceptable to have offensive programmes on the television?? I cannot fathom their frustration with having to be polite and not offend someone - It isn't that difficult really. We don't need to have shows like Love Thy Neighbour on mainstream TV anymore. Those days are over never to return. It has been done! Those shows can be bought on various media and watched in private. It's not illegal or impossible to do this. UNLIKE seeing the original versions of Star Wars - but that's another issue for another thread / site.

    I didn't experience the 1970s myself, but a lot of programmes from that decade were repeated in the 1980s, 1990s and later, and as a result, future generations had found what that decade was like - it's like Pick of the Pops doing a 1970s chart, or someone doing a 1970s themed disco - I studied History at school where we learnt about Victorians and the like, but again, I didn't experience that era myself either! We can make comparisons between new and old as a result of programmes being repeated. Rising Damp for example ended before I was born, but it was repeated on ITV in the 1980s, Channel 4 in the 1990s and satellite TV in the 2000s onwards - I am familiar with that series because of the repeats. TV Heaven in 1992 was a fine example of introducing new generations to programmes from previous generations.

    I do think that change is a good thing for the benefit of modernisation, especially as we moved from one millennium to another in the past 20 years. I still think of shops that close on Sunday to be left behind in the 20th century for example. I also believe that a lot more white middle class men were in charge of TV programme making and scheduling back then, whereas nowadays we have mixed genders, races, religions, and even disabilities making new programmes. That is a good thing as anyone can make a TV programme these days as long as one has the right support and equipment.

    I always think of Yarwood as a predecessor to Rory Bremner, although the difference was that Yarwood got mainstream slots on the BBC and later on ITV in the Wednesday 8.00 pm slot of thereabouts. Bremner was always seen as alternative rather than mainstream hence his shows being on BBC 2 and later Channel 4 on Friday nights. I am prepared to move on myself.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,313

    Default Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

    Another difference is that Rory Bremner's impressions actually sounded like the people he was impersonating!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    2,531

    Default Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

    I think that one of the reasons that Yarwood's act went down hill by the start of the 1980s was mostly because he couldn't do Thatcher's voice, which was good news to Steve Nallon of course.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    co armagh n/ireland
    Posts
    14,004

    Default Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

    Another show i wonder would it be shown is kick start narrated by peter purves you know the show contestants on motorbikes doing an OBSTACLE course.

    Would it be allowed now or would it be considered too dangerous by the p.c brigade
    .
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    5,144

    Default Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

    Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    Another show i wonder would it be shown is kick start narrated by peter purves you know the show contestants on motorbikes doing an OBSTACLE course.

    Would it be allowed now or would it be considered too dangerous by the p.c brigade
    .
    You've Been Framed! often has clips of people doing daft things on motorbikes so I think it would be allowed.
    The Trickster On The Roof

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    2,531

    Default Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    You've Been Framed! often has clips of people doing daft things on motorbikes so I think it would be allowed.
    The Broadcasting Standards Commission received the odd complaint about showing dangerous things on there for the sake of having a camcorder ready - I used to wonder (especially in its earlier "Beadle" years of the early 1990s) what the probability that something unusual happened while a camcorder just happened to be switched on.

    Arguably, one could add clip shows like It'll Be Alright on the Night and Clive James/Floyd/Tarrant on TV as well - the latter to a greater extent because sometimes one can see clips of people doing things that could be seen as dangerous. That late 1990s Saturday evening show Don't Try This At Home! probably explains itself with its own name as well as they had members of the public doing Evel Kinevel type stunts.

    And the assault course round on The Krypton Factor looked rather dangerous as well - that pool of water that they go across, almost deep enough to drown in!
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-06-2016, 12:29
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-01-2014, 18:55
  3. early morning 70s/80s maths programme shown in 90s?
    By pickles4uk in forum Television
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 10:26
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 18:12
  5. Help with an old cartoon shown on C4
    By mazzamc in forum Television
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 17:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •