Tv programmes that would not be shown today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tv programmes that would not be shown today

what tv programmes do members think would never be shown today.

i feel one is in sickness and in health.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

Two I have fond memories of watching: Mind Your Language and It ain't half hot mum.
    Brilliant shows but sadly in today's world considered politically incorrect.

Comment

Political correctness has got a lot to do with this especially when it comes to stereotypes in sitcoms such as Love They Neighbour, Curry and Chips and of course Mind Your Language - I am surprised that Rising Damp is still shown on ITV 3 considering Rigsby's way of getting on with Don Warrington and Richard Beckinsale's characters. I am certain that even Sid James had the odd "off-moment" in Bless This House as well. The Black and White Minstrel Show, anyone?

Benny Hill was sacked by Thames in 1989 because of they felt that his shows had ran his course, but I think that it was political correctness that was to blame - three years later, he was dead in his flat probably because of what had happened.

There is the other angle of those who are, shall we say, in disgrace. Yes, we mean the associations with shows such as Jim'll Fix It, Clunk Click and the like, which leads onto programmes that could be shown, but various episodes or parts of an episode couldn't be - Glitter, J King, R Harris, etc. Top of the Pops from the late 1970s repeated on BBC Four meant that because of Savile or DLT presenting, and Glitter or King performing, it meant that half of them could not be shown - which gave a good reason to show The Sky at Night in the same slot.

And one aspect of TV programmes are basically not shown anymore as they are left behind in the 20th century i.e. they are regarded as being out of date - remember when ITV used to have Rainbow at 12.10 pm, and Children's ITV was on at 4.00 pm? And instead of sickening talk shows at 9.30 am, they had schools programmes? It's a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire where ironically, a lot of Reality TV programmes would have been frowned by the IBA in its time but seems to be the norm these days. I would like to see game shows on ITV at 7.00 pm, but as Emmerdale is on there in that slot for the next few decades, I doubt that we will ever get to see them on there again.
      Last edited by George 1978; 31-05-2019, 01:08.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post

Don't forget that In Sickness was still being shown in the early 1990s and I suppose that it was milder compared to Till Death Do Us Part which would have a less chance of still being shown. Only Fools and Horses were accused of racism for using a derogatory term for a corner shop run by Asians and all that, and that was the 1980s. Gripper Stebson in Grange Hill in 1983 could also be added to the list as well. Frank Spencer covered in black tar in an episode of Some Mothers was not suitable for repeats anymore.

Half of an early 1970s TV schedule probably wouldn't be able to repeated, not because the programmes don't exist in the TV company archives but because presenters, actors and especially comedians and so on could have more leeway, telling jokes about mothers in law; ethnic minorities; gay people, and so on, a la Bernard Manning on The Comedians. The fact that they may have been wearing flares from Foster Menswear and Rupert Bear patterned jackets back then probably looked tasteless now for different reasons, but in an offensive way - it would still be tolerated just about.

I am almost certain that Tom and Jerry cartoons have almost been grounded to the same effect - some would say that the cat and mouse were too violent, while others complained about characters smoking in the cartoons.

I wonder with regarding to recent repeats of some of these TV programmes, if they have been transmitted in the past decade or so, whether or not: A) They have been edited down so that only half the programme remains - i.e. to remove swearing; violence; racist language; nudity; an appearance from an "Operation YewTree" celebrity; a lingering Kellogg's Cornflakes packet on a corner shop shelf, and so on; and: B) whether someone from Tunbridge Wells has written to Points of View about it; or complained to the BBC / IBA / ITC / Ofcom about it. In other words, it would be interesting how many complaints certain programmes wither as individual episodes or as series as whole has frequently got complaints to the TV companies and channels or regulators.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Love Thy Neighbour
          Rising Damp

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
            Love Thy Neighbour
            Rising Damp
            The thing is that Rising Damp is still being shown on ITV 3 - I have seen it on the SKY EPG recently. On the other hand, a new series couldn't be made by virtue of the deaths of Rossiter and Beckinsale, but even if they were both still alive, both would outgrow their character roles in any case, and a new series wouldn't get made now either way.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              what tv programmes do members think would never be shown today.

True Darren I agree on In Sickness and In Health with you as too 'Til Death do us Part

Yes Warren Mitchell played a rasict and a immense Biggott but that was the time era and time and what was given was not aimed especially at one minority, it was given to Alf as well as what Alf gave out - rightly or wrong either way

Bless This House and sadly Bread with all the Wheeler Dealing may fall into such a list too as would may-be Only Fools and Horses - but it could still work tonned down(though I am unsure if it would) but it could work as it - as it is only 2003 it ended and still had shades of things that may-be deemed not politicaly correct in it

80sChav

Comment

There are already several editions of Top Of The Pops which do not get reshown due to the host...
                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

the minipops has no chance of being shown again there where just 6 episodes running from First episode date: 8 February 1983Final episode date: 15 March 1983 on C4

Comment

Only Fools & Horses seemed to tone down the close to the bone jokes as it went on.

In Sickness & In Health seemed lot tamer than the original Till Death Do Us Part, with Alf being far more of a bufoon.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember someone saying not sure what show it was in put a postman comes to the door and the fella answered thats black mail.

And im sure a lot of monty python could not be shown or the black minstrels.

Been watching a lot of in sickness and in health on youtube as it wont be shown on itv or bbc antime soon.

DIDNT REALISE ONLY FOOLS HAD CLOSE TO THE BONE JOKES.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
                      only fools & horses seemed to tone down the close to the bone jokes as it went on.

In sickness & in health seemed lot tamer than the original till death do us part, with alf being far more of a bufoon.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                        There are already several editions of Top Of The Pops which do not get reshown due to the host...
                        When BBC Four started to show the episodes in 2011, Savile was still alive and didn't die until October of that year, and so I believe that they still showed the 1976 and 1977 episodes with him in them right up until 2012 when the allegations came to light. As I said before, there were more "guests" who were in disgrace rather than presenters - Savile was the most prominent presenter and Glitter was the most prominent artiste to be banned because of what they did. Boybands like Take That in the mid 1990s were often being "out of bounds" almost for a pre-watershed audience probably wouldn't even bat the eyelids or any Mary Whitehouse observer by then.

Regarding Minipops (as I mentioned in the thread I started a few weeks ago), the attitude towards the public when it came to the tastelessness of the programme has remained the same in the past 36 years. The parody of Channel 4 circa 1983 was not to show too many populist TV programmes as their ITV and BBC 1 counterparts did - it they wanted to show a programme about trainspotting, Health and Safety or dry cleaning in peak time, then so be it.

And Warren Mitchell used to say about Till Death that someone came up to him and say "I love that show where you have a go at the coons" - Mitchell replied back, "actually, we're having a go at idiots like you".

That Million Years PC night that BBC 2 did circa 1998 is an ideal textbook example of programmes over the years that probably wouldn't be seen again due to one thing and another - the obvious suspects of Benny Hill; Mind Your Language (Meera Syal being a Talking Head on it); Rising Damp and others.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                          ......….Frank Spencer covered in black tar in an episode of Some Mothers was not suitable for repeats anymore.
                          There was a TV drama, 'Waterloo Sunset', starring Patricia Hayes, playing an old lady who meets a black guy and he invites her home for tea. Too blend in she covers her face in boot polish

No mention Googling the drama, but must have been early seventies
                          sigpic
                          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Spike Milligan in brown face as an Indian man...
                            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                              Spike Milligan in brown face as an Indian man...
                              At least in Curry & Chips he was supposed to be half Irish.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X