Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    I dislike shows looking back at earlier decades for similar reasons that have been mentioned earlier by others. The 70s seems to be a particular favourite for bashing. Mocking fashions and social attitudes seems to be almost compulsary for such programmes. There's an attitude of smug superiority from commentators who often were not even around in the 70s that infuriates me and ensures I switch to another channel, or more usually switch off completely. It seems to not occur to them that in 40 years time there will probably be programmes looking back at the TV, fashions and attitudes of the 2010s with commentators who will find them just as ridiculous--our obsession with celebrities, reality TV and social media for instance...
    Of course in the future they will laugh at the stuff we do now; "You mean people used to actually CARRY a mobile phone in their pockets??" These programmes often fail to mention that, there were complaints about certain things that they ridicule now. It's not like there was no Mary Whitehouse around, or people marching against things or complaining about the shows on TV back in the past. Always have been, always willl be.

Comment

I was watching love thy neighbour for the 1st time.
      Is it me or does is not seem as bad as say till death do us part+in sickness and in health

rudolph walker who plays bill i think i think he is the teacher in the mr bean episode where bean was taking an exam.

And eddies wife joan in the pilot played by gwendolywn watts then she was played by kate williams guess she was only there for the pilot according to wikipedia the pilot was not broadcast.

would be shown today im a 50/50 on this one.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I am certain that Love Thy Neighbour was shown as recently as the early 1990s when UK Gold started, and it was probably the first TX of it since the mid 1970s.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          I remember someone saying not sure what show it was in put a postman comes to the door and the fella answered thats black mail.

Comment

Yes thats the one.

Originally posted by i. R. Fincham View Post

Comment

I was watching love thy neighbour for the 1st time.
              Is it me or does is not seem as bad as say till death do us part+in sickness and in health

rudolph walker who plays bill i think i think he is the teacher in the mr bean episode where bean was taking an exam.

And eddies wife joan in the pilot played by gwendolywn watts then she was played by kate williams guess she was only there for the pilot according to wikipedia the pilot was not broadcast.

would be shown today im a 50/50 on this one.
              Hya Darren mate

I have heard it was bad - but not quite as bad as Alf Garnett's various in-carnations (though only the Red Tape Brigade would say Garnett was o.t.t) even though I agree he was rascist - but his Commadarie with Winston the Home Help worked both way's in trading insults (belonging to a different time) that people did'nt deem rascist as deeply - but back to Love Thy Neighbour I never thought it was too rascist -it was more about prejudice's and differing cultures not getting on as suchI have always been lead to think/believe

I mren ok it was a bit near the knuckle, but that was portraying the World as it was then - which is very similar to now (just magnified a million times more - if that makes any sense). The Writters then just had the Cart Blanche to write it via the TV Companies approval. May-be skirting round the edges quite a lot - but a programme of that standing Today - would be amazing and could easily be done I think (keeping on the safe side)

Re:, Rudolph Walker - arguably his most famous role since Love They Neighbourand in general I think is/would arguably the Loveable Rouge that is Patrick Trueman on EastEnders he has played on/off for since the early noughties

It is ironic too I think how his bussom buddy/best mate on EastEnders was Jim Branning played by the great late John Bardon who had had many controversial roles on Telly - none more so than the radcist biggot Jim was portrayed as on EastEnders - so tpo me that shows that if Love They Neighbour was bad neither Rudolph or John would do anything else remotley similar or subscribe to playing "opposites" as both did on EastEnders

80sChav

Comment

Yes, by 1990 Walker seemed to be like a younger lookalike of Trevor McDonald - he was the invigilator in the first Mr Bean episode.

Nina Baden-Semper has had a low profile since LTN although she was seen advertising The Sun newspaper around the same time (when the paper cost 5p or 6p, so mid 1970s) and was promoting something about black people in Britain or something. I am certain it was on YT a few years ago.

The final episode of series one of Grange Hill (Trisha and Benny playing truant to go to the Civic Centre) almost seems as if some of the dialogue had been lifted from a Love They Neighbour episode from five years previously.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                  Yes, by 1990 Walker seemed to be like a younger lookalike of Trevor McDonald - he was the invigilator in the first Mr Bean episode.

Nina Baden-Semper has had a low profile since LTN although she was seen advertising The Sun newspaper around the same time (when the paper cost 5p or 6p, so mid 1970s) and was promoting something about black people in Britain or something. I am certain it was on YT a few years ago.

The final episode of series one of Grange Hill (Trisha and Benny playing truant to go to the Civic Centre) almost seems as if some of the dialogue had been lifted from a Love They Neighbour episode from five years previously.
                  Those scenes indeed just spelt out Rascim at it's worst between Tucker and Trisha - not Trisha and tucker mind, but rightly or wrongly people knew no better in those days or it was thought of "being accepted (wrongly) as the norm"

Not as i would ever have dreamed I'd agree with Todd Carty - but he was correct about Grange Hill in it's last day's that it'd not survive on Childrens Tea-time Telly - even though though that Waterloo Rd had extreme border-line and crossing the line at Rascim (though it was Adult's TV aimed at Children heavily) Grange Hill could easily of survived in such a role (later on at night) and minus Rascim

80sChav

Comment

Fireman Sam.

Comment

I know that Fireman Sam did have one or two controversies in recent years, but why wouldn't Fireman Sam be shown today? Perhaps he would be Firefighter Sam these days?

Post-person Pat, anyone?
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                        Those scenes indeed just spelt out Rascim at it's worst between Tucker and Trisha - not Trisha and tucker mind, but rightly or wrongly people knew no better in those days or it was thought of "being accepted (wrongly) as the norm"

Not as i would ever have dreamed I'd agree with Todd Carty - but he was correct about Grange Hill in it's last day's that it'd not survive on Childrens Tea-time Telly - even though though that Waterloo Rd had extreme border-line and crossing the line at Rascim (though it was Adult's TV aimed at Children heavily) Grange Hill could easily of survived in such a role (later on at night) and minus Rascim

80sChav
                        I would love to find out who was the writer and director of that episode, and whether they had also worked on series such as Love Thy Neighbour or shows like that earlier on in that decade. It does have comparisons when one thinks of the dialogue.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

the 1990s is almost thirty years ago. So, not "recent".
                          http://www.youtube.com/v/wW6mqRyWNak

Comment

Repeats can be recent even if original showings are not.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

JUST NOTICED JACK SMETHURST ALSO DID AN AUSTRALIAN LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR

https://youtu.be/8Zo3jN_PnEc

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

Comment

A lot of British sitcoms did Australian versions such Father, Dear Father and Are You Being Served? - John Inman's voice could even be heard on Joan Ferguson's TV in a PCBH episode.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X