Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

Default Re: Tv programmes that would not be shown today

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I do wish that we had more "TV Heaven" type programmes where old programmes would be scheduled and introduced by someone who was there at the time without some ironic comments from alternative comedians who were five years old when they were on. The I Love the 1970s series were great, but by the time they reached the 1990s, the era they were covering was too recent to get nostalgic over, and besides, a lot of people pointed out inaccuracies in the programme where they had mentioned something which was actually released the year before and all that.
    I don't like those shows anymore, for the reasons that you mentioned. Recently, Channel Five broadcast a Top 20 (or summink) Chocolate adverts. And it was a tad disappointing really. Because it was full of non-entities talking waffle and BS about things they were obviously far too young to recall. I think Roland Rivron may have been the oldest person on it. Better to just watch an nice 30 minutes selection of ads on YOU TUBE without any post - moronic comments. I recommend NEIL MILES' and BELFAST JACK'S channels. Yep!

I dislike shows looking back at earlier decades for similar reasons that have been mentioned earlier by others. The 70s seems to be a particular favourite for bashing. Mocking fashions and social attitudes seems to be almost compulsary for such programmes. There's an attitude of smug superiority from commentators who often were not even around in the 70s that infuriates me and ensures I switch to another channel, or more usually switch off completely. It seems to not occur to them that in 40 years time there will probably be programmes looking back at the TV, fashions and attitudes of the 2010s with commentators who will find them just as ridiculous--our obsession with celebrities, reality TV and social media for instance.

On Mike Yarwood, remember that near the end of his shows he would sing a song using the voices of singers like Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr etc then would say "And this is me" and sing the last part of the song in his own voice.

Quote Originally Posted by agfagaevart View Post
    I don't like those shows anymore, for the reasons that you mentioned. Recently, Channel Five broadcast a Top 20 (or summink) Chocolate adverts. And it was a tad disappointing really. Because it was full of non-entities talking waffle and BS about things they were obviously far too young to recall. I think Roland Rivron may have been the oldest person on it. Better to just watch an nice 30 minutes selection of ads on YOU TUBE without any post - moronic comments. I recommend NEIL MILES' and BELFAST JACK'S channels. Yep!

I don't like the "ironic" nostalgia programmes anymore like you just said, but when they were done by someone who knew what they were talking about, they were a lot better. It'll Be Alright on the Night was a lot better when Denis Norden presented it rather than Griff Rhys Jones, or dare I say it, David Walliams! A lot of the good presenters are no longer with us which I suppose is one reason why that sort of genre has gone down hill in the past decade or so.

I have always thought that Les Dawson could play the piano then he should have done so properly - he did some straight acting as well, and a good performer can survive with applause in lieu of laughter.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    I dislike shows looking back at earlier decades for similar reasons that have been mentioned earlier by others. The 70s seems to be a particular favourite for bashing. Mocking fashions and social attitudes seems to be almost compulsary for such programmes. There's an attitude of smug superiority from commentators who often were not even around in the 70s that infuriates me and ensures I switch to another channel, or more usually switch off completely. It seems to not occur to them that in 40 years time there will probably be programmes looking back at the TV, fashions and attitudes of the 2010s with commentators who will find them just as ridiculous--our obsession with celebrities, reality TV and social media for instance.
    Again, we like to mock the past as it is alien to us now without wanting to realise that once upon a time, what happened back then was quite normal. As early as 1986, the 1970s were parodied by comedians - Smith and Jones parodied Open University presenters that were still being seen on Sunday morning BBC 2 back then. BBC 2 is repeating some of the TV That Made Me on weekday afternoons - with ironic 1970s logo and all that. I think that the I Love the 1970s series has something to do with the start of this. If you want a "straight" perspective of the past, go to your nearest library and look at the microfilm editions of old newspapers - it is a lot better in the long run. Even looking at the Radio Times Genome is a lot better than getting something ironic.

It's amazing how things had changed in a short space of time where one could mock something five years previously in the early 1980s. Tucker on Grange Hill was still wearing flared trousers in series 3 (1980) - fast forward two series and Zammo and Jonah were commenting on Roland's trousers, saying that "he's wearing flares". When they were repeated on Sunday morning BBC 2 circa 1994 I assume that a lot of youngsters watching them for the first time as they were too young to remember the first TX would obviously find them both dated.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

The 1970s seemed to be mocked a lot in the 1980s, almost as soon as the 70s ended.

Ironically 1970s music & fashions were popular in the 1990s, so many things that would have laughed at a few years earlier were suddenly in fashion.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    I dislike shows looking back at earlier decades for similar reasons that have been mentioned earlier by others. The 70s seems to be a particular favourite for bashing. Mocking fashions and social attitudes seems to be almost compulsary for such programmes. There's an attitude of smug superiority from commentators who often were not even around in the 70s that infuriates me and ensures I switch to another channel, or more usually switch off completely. It seems to not occur to them that in 40 years time there will probably be programmes looking back at the TV, fashions and attitudes of the 2010s with commentators who will find them just as ridiculous--our obsession with celebrities, reality TV and social media for instance...
    Of course in the future they will laugh at the stuff we do now; "You mean people used to actually CARRY a mobile phone in their pockets??" These programmes often fail to mention that, there were complaints about certain things that they ridicule now. It's not like there was no Mary Whitehouse around, or people marching against things or complaining about the shows on TV back in the past. Always have been, always willl be.