The Searchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Searchers

I know this is 60s but does anyone know how this group got there name. ?

Re: The Searchers

I am not certain myself, but there was of course groups with similar meaning names such as The Seekers, and of course The New Seekers. As searching and seeking are very similar terms, it makes me think whether they could be a connection with them both.

If they were actually called The Searchers, then what could have been searching for?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Hi and welcome....have you looked on wikipedia?
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

lead singer mike pender loved the film the searchers starring john wayne and he name the group after the film

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
          I am not certain myself, but there was of course groups with similar meaning names such as The Seekers, and of course The New Seekers. As searching and seeking are very similar terms, it makes me think whether they could be a connection with them both.

If they were actually called The Searchers, then what could have been searching for?
          I never liked The searchers to be fair George mate ... but in saying this they had a few minor jits

Re The Seekers and The New seekers - the same person/manager behind the origibal Seekers with Judith Durham (lovely, lovely lady she is indeed) formed the New Seekers after the Break-up of the Original Band/Group I loveed/and still forever will always lve the Judith Durham in-carnation of the orginal Seekers - they truly are one of the best bands ever (and one that easily has stood the test of time over 5o odd years and seems as-fresh song wise with "I'll Never Find Another You" as it did in the 60s. Yes I liked the New Seekers, but they were'nt a patch on the original (much like not much is - music, clothes-wise or whatever) but that one hit they had made famous for the Cola Advert "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony) was very very good with a great build as the singing grows louder and louder!

Re; TheSearchers - I do believe their most biggest hit's was either or both of 2Don't Throw Your Love away" and 2Needles and Pins", I'll check that out though and get back to you on it - if I can't establish it, my sure will as she knowws nearly every band that had One Hit (or even 5) Hit Wonders in the 60s and can name them nearly straight up or get a good 9 out of 10 right (which I guess as I have always said - is very very similar rto the mid to late 90s) for our generation with Brit pop - which I always compare to the 60s with one-offs or 2-offs etc!

80sChav

Comment

The Searchers were named after the John Wayne film of the same name.

Also, Wayne's character had a catch-phrase: "That'll be the day", which is from where the song of that name got its title!
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

They were obviously before my own time as a 1960s group but I do enjoy listening to them when stations like Gold plays their hits.

Don't Throw Your Love Away is one of my favourites - it's a pity that Elvis Costello's cover version of it hardly ever gets heard on the radio unless it's a "6 Music" song, although that's what we have YouTube for.

Sweets for My Sweet is another good one - was it CJ Lewis who covered it in around 1994? (I nearly said CS Lewis who was, of course, the author of the Chronicles of Narnia).
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Currently listening to the CD we bought of the latest line-up when they played our local freebie in 2012
                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                X