Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were you allowed out to Town/Village etc for Lunch at school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were you allowed out to Town/Village etc for Lunch at school?

Living on the Coast at my 2nd Secondary with the abundance of Chippy' I'd of loved that, but the head there was beyond Tollertarian and would never of allowed this - even if we was on (and promised) to be on our extreme best behaviour in Town

Though at my First secondary - Years later they "sort of allowe this rule" for older Years I think - but given School's now allow this as the norm and Kids go to MacDonalds/Subway etc - irrelevent of Jamie Oliver's crusade towards Health eating (and particulary in Schools) I can not but help feeling an "heavy tinge of jelousy there" (not at never not going to such places to eat) but because of the feelings that'd of brough at that age in life! What do otther members think here?< have you any recollections of it/rules on it you recall?

Thinking a bit further back though at my First Secondary - a broken rule wasa the older kids who had swimming made amazingly long de-tours from the Swimmming Baths to arrive mid afternoon halfway through classes via Fish Shops/other numerous Local Corner Shops - which of course ruled each street corner etc heavily "back in the day"

80sChav

Re: Was you allowed out to Town/Village etc for Lunch at school

I went home for dinner, so I suppose that the answer was yes, (or perhaps no as I didn't do it in a "truancy" sort of way). Ironically, the lunchtime supervisors (dinner ladies to you) I got on quite well with despite not taking advantage of what they had to offer in school.

I never went for fish and chips or McDonald's, but I know that some would have - it would have been a bus ride to the nearest McDonald's anyway. I went straight home and straight back again unless had a Dolland and Aitchison appointment in the afternoon because of a problem with the lenses of my glasses.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Yup, straight to the sweetshop for my quarter of rhubarb and custard and a can of ben shaws dandelion and burdock.....BURP! scuse me
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I think we were only allowed out of the school grounds in the later years of senior school (you could "go home" for lunch at junior school but only if an adult collected you - which was odd as we would have walked, so it would have taken at least 30 minutes for the round trip not including food, which would be most of the lunch break itself!). I don't remember doing it often, but i do remember getting fish and chips with mates or once a sausage roll from the village and then going to mine to watch the Cameo VHS Video Hits (Word Up).

Comment

Was you allowed out to Town/Village etc for Lunch at school

In the early 70’s I was at a grammar school - very strict . The headmaster wore all black clothes / gown / hat and was very intimidating- even the staff were on edge .. when he entered a room or hall EVERYONE stood up immediately.

Anyways for some reason the local fish and chip shop seemed to make us all brave for a few minutes a day .

We had to practically crawl under the school windows to get out of the grounds and walk across the adjacent field ... wait until there was no traffic and run across the road into the chippy ... they had a back room which catered for about 20 at a time .. it was behind a closed door ( good thinking by them ) .

They must have known as they sent out teachers in cars to catch anyone crossing but for some reason they never officially complained to the Chippy .. very strange .

I just remember hating school apart from MATHS , PE and Metal/ wood work but loving the idea of sitting down to fish , chips and mushy peas , white bread and butter and a cup of tea ...

I have exactly the same thing nowadays some 50 years later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by Zincubus; 21-06-2019, 12:45.

Comment

Well in secondary and primary school we were allowed out at dinner time.

my primary school principal was firm but fair.

I rarely went to chippys as id relatives who lived close to both my primary and secondary schools altho certainly at m secondary school lots of pupils went out at dinner time possibly because school dinners werent that great.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Thinking about it, the fact that pupils were allowed to go home for lunch is interesting as it is actually allowing the school premises during the school day for obvious reasons, and of course, technically leaving the school premises at any other time during the school day is seen as truancy. The other point is that if the majority of pupils actually went home for dinner or indeed brought packed lunches to school, it would almost mean that lunchtime supervisors (dinner ladies) would almost be out of a job.

Unlike the staff, the majority of the pupils lived within the catchment area of the school that they went to, and so it wouldn't take them long to get home, have something to eat and then come back to school again in the afternoon.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

And I am certain it is "were you allowed" rather than "was you allowed"...
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

No; but I went out anyway lol
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                    And I am certain it is "were you allowed" rather than "was you allowed"...
                    Chav talk
                    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                      Chav talk
                      The problem of today's society unfortunately.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

.. ... init ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                          .. ... init ?
                          "Out it" if you don't mind.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Re: Were you allowed out to Town/Village etc for Lunch at school?

Town was to far away to get there and back in an hour.
                            However we were allowed to go to the few local shops/chipshop.
                            Heather

Comment

Re: Were you allowed out to Town/Village etc for Lunch at school?

Where I live is a big town so getting out of town and back would be impossible for the 1 hour dinner break. I used to go home sometimes for lunch but stay at school on other days. Took 15 minutes to get home so I had half hour to bolt down whatever ended up in front of me. We did escape to a local post office occasionally when we stayed for school dinners and there was always the chip shop....but this was a banned and if we got caught we knew about it. But we done it anyway. Not the best place to buy chips but it was a lot better then what food we got in school.

Comment

Working...
                              X