Tortoises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tortoises

There i said it, at one time the "go to" pet for any young lad but when was the last time you saw one? you just can't buy them anywhere. At one time pet shop windows were full of em at a couple of quid each but now they are only available by request on the net from breeders where else can i buy a doorstop for two quid?
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Re: Tortoises

Originally posted by tex View Post
    you just can't buy them anywhere. ?
    Not even the Shell petrol station shop? (I'll get me coat...)

I have never seen them do a marathon - if they started in the 2019 London Marathon, they would have finished in time for the 2020 event.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I found a tortoise in a neighbours garden when I was a kid, knocked on all the local houses to see who owned him, no joy, I do remember we were going to keep him but there was nowhere to put him so
      a rough makeshift corral, needless to say he escaped, one of my mates found him again a month later, same again, he escaped, never found him again, that was over 40 years ago, I still wonder where he went
      DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

We had three when I was a kid, one buried itself in the garden for the winter which he had done successfully for several years but one year he never surfaced.
        The second a lady placed an ad in the local paper saying she had lost a little boys while looking after it while he was on holiday and was pleading for a replacement my kind hearted Mum gave up one of ours. I dont remember what happened to Shelly the third.
        Heather

Comment

We had one for years, passed from one member of the family to another then back again. Speedy by name and speedy by nature. Turn your back and it had gone.

Comment

I remember Blue Peter always had a feature on putting George their Tortoise into hibernation for the winter, & getting him out again.

One year he managed to escape from the house of somebody looking after him for the summer, but was found quickly.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

A tortoise used to cost about two quid from any pet shop but now they are classed as exotic pets!
              https://www.thetortoiseshop.com/supe...rmann-tortoise
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                A tortoise used to cost about two quid from any pet shop but now they are classed as exotic pets!
                https://www.thetortoiseshop.com/supe...rmann-tortoise
                They used to be imported in quite basic conditions, sometimes just put into crates with some straw, but now animal welfare is a higher concern so imports are better managed, which explains the high prices.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Anyone else thinking of meat pies...?
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                  X