Bobby Goldsboro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby Goldsboro

To quote his 1973 song "Summer - the First Time": "it was a hot afternoon, the last day of June, and the sun was a demon". As it is the last day of June and a hot afternoon, what better than to start a thread about the man who sang it?

The lyrics sound a bit raunchy, almost like a Sylvia Kristel film set to the words of a song, and I am surprised that the BBC didn't ban it. "The sweat trickled down, to the front of her gown..." and "I'll will chase the boy in you away". I don't know whether Mary Whitehouse got upset over songs in the charts, but I couldn't really imagine her being pleased with that one. A holiday romance which only happens in films and soap operas methinks.

Obviously I thought his songs were soppy (well, who didn't?), and very much of the "Ken Bruce Love Song" feature at 10.15 pm weekday while we wait patiently for Popmaster, or even it could be heard on Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs. I have to admit that it puts me off listening quite a bit, probably because my own relationship failures are not really worth boasting about to one's own worst enemy.

Honey was the song that obviously give impressions to a lot of people who listen to it - such a sad song which feels as it should be sponsored by the Samaritans. The song reached number two in the charts both in 1968 and again in 1975, probably due to something being promoted - the latter appearance in the charts rubbing shoulders with Minnie Ripperton's Loving You, and reminds me of reel to reel tape recorders. The song reminds me slightly of Johnny Logan's What's Another Year? Hello Summertime was another one of his hits.

Goldsboro reminds me a bit of Harry Nilsson and Dan Fogelberg of "Longer" fame. I would even put Lionel Ritchie's Hello within that bracket as well. Listening to Goldsboro's songs is like rather eating too much chocolate cake - it tastes delicious, but too much of it can be so sickly.

I just couldn't resist starting this thread when Goldsboro actually gives an indirect honourable mention to 30th June in one of his songs...
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Bobby Goldsboro

I thought Bobby was more of a 60s Singer - either way I don't dislike or overly rate him

He was probably "middle of the road" of his era I'd say - not memorable, but not ubbish

It would be fair of me to say I am hard pushed to name any of his songs - but I am cerain he held a good tune "back in the day", which I have either read or more than likley being told - even though I'd not rate Bobby as "my Cuppa" music-wise

80sChav

Comment

Re: Bobby Goldsboro

He had hits in the 1970s and that is when most of them made the charts.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
      X