8 days to the moon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 days to the moon

Anyone else watch this intriguing programme on BBC 1 wednesday? I have to say it gave the viewer little information which was not already common knowledge, indeed most of what can be said about the apollo 11 mission probably has been said, however the programme was made interesting by combining genuine footage with dramatisation and the use of the actual voice recordings from the astronauts themselves.
    We were given new insight into how the astronauts coped with the demands and stresses of carrying out this highly dangerous mission and the thought processes involved in getting to the moon and returning safely.
    I was particularly interested to hear that all three astronauts chose never to go into space again,the programme did not explain the reason for this but i'm sure the conspiracy brigade will have plenty of theories about that.
    It is of course the 50th anniversary this month (july) of the first moon landing and several programmes have been lined up to celebrate this momentous event
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Re: 8 days to the moon

These are the sort of events that got me interested in Physics and Astronomy. I then went on to become a Scientist.
    In a age where fewer students go on to study Science in further education. This programme is what we need

Comment

I (vaguely) remember Apollo X but nothing about XI!

I also recall XII, XIII (obvs!) and a smattering of the others.

Not many people recall the last Apollo mission, though - a link-up in orbit with a Soyuz craft, paving the way for international collaborations like space stations.
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I always think of Tim Peake as being our generation's equivalent of Neil Armstrong and all that.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
          I always think of Tim Peake as being our generation's equivalent of Neil Armstrong and all that.
          It’s odd how we all look things differently... I can’t take him seriously as he’s always messing around and smiling crazily .. I kinda expect astronauts to be serious and determined /focussed .. he just seems to me media obsessed and would turn up for the opening of an envelope..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

On a ‘serious’ note .. apparently in the next 5 or 6 years the hopes are that they are to land on the moon .. extract hydrogen and water then move onto Mars !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
              On a ‘serious’ note .. apparently in the next 5 or 6 years the hopes are that they are to land on the moon .. extract hydrogen and water then move onto Mars !!!

Is that manned or unmanned? I think the notion of man going to mars is a pipe dream and if attempted a suicide mission. Why do we need moon water?
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                Is that manned or unmanned? I think the notion of man going to mars is a pipe dream and if attempted a suicide mission. Why do we need moon water?
                That is so people living on the moon don't need to have it expensively brought to them from Earth. It helps them to be more self-sufficient. Kind of like The Good Life on the Moon!

Comment

I see what you mean but Mr. Peake, though admirable, is not a pioneer like Neil Armstrong was.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                    That is so people living on the moon don't need to have it expensively brought to them from Earth. It helps them to be more self-sufficient. Kind of like The Good Life on the Moon!
                    True .. I think they said they’re confident they can extract water from under the moon’s surface .. then they can extract hydrogen and oxygen when required ..

Comment

8 days to the moon

I respect this guy more than Twin Peake

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sta...841.html%3Famp

Inventor and pilot apparently ..

Comment

I recorded some Moon landing shows off TV the other day, haven't had a chance to watch them though.

I also have a PSVR experience called "Apollo 11" which is a condensed version of their flight, from take off to landing on the moon. Being in VR you really get to appreciate just how brave those guys were in the capsule etc.
                        An age where they were looking to the stars and trying to climb to them, now we as a society look to the wrong stars and spend far too much time trying to bring things down.

Comment

Very brave men. It must take truly exceptional qualities to be launched into space in the full knowledge that if anything went wrong there would be a good chance that you wouldn't be coming back. It is sobering to think that the powers that be took the possibility of failure of Apollo XI seriously enough that a speech had already been prepared for President Nixon to deliver in that eventuality--thank goodness he never had to read it.

Comment

Great program on Sky

8 days To the moon and back

Fabulous

Comment

Working...
                            X