RIP Rutger Hauer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Rutger Hauer

Dutch actor Rutger Hauer, famous for his part in the Blade Runner film has died at the age of 75.

I am not too familiar with Hauer (probably because of the fact that he is from the Netherlands), but I know that he appeared in this country in the mid 1990s in a series of adverts for Guinness, (or it might have been for another alcoholic beverage, but I am almost certain that it was actually Guinness), almost around the same time as when they used Louis Armstrong's We All The Time in The World in their adverts which gave him a posthumous number three hit.

When Hauer's Guinness adverts were on the TV, when they used to crop during the ad breaks on Saturday evening ITV during shows like Blind Date and Beadle's About, I actually thought at the time that he looked uncannily like Chris Tarrant - they both had the same sort of blond hair which was made in a similar way. If you see a mid 1990s Guinness advert with him in it, have a look at it because I am almost certain that he was like an identical twin to the future Millionaire host.

Still sorry to hear the news of his passing nevertheless.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: RIP Rutger Hauer

Really sad to hear that Rutger Hauer has passed away. I remember him well from the action films that he made in the 80s and 90s like Flesh and Blood, The Hitcher, Wanted: Dead or Alive, Blind Fury and Split Second. He was a good actor and really should have been bigger than he was. He could play heroes, anti-heroes and villains with equal conviction. Obviously, his role in Blade Runner will be his most celebrated given how well-regarded that film is, but it is those action movies that I mentioned earlier that I personally will associate him with in my memory. RIP Rutger Hauer.

Comment

I didn't see Blade Runner when it came out - I first encountered Rutger Hauer in the superbly disturbing The Hitcher. I now associate him with BR, though.

"Time to die!"

RIP Roy Batty :cry:
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Sad news, I liked him as Roy in Blade Runner. I also remember the Guinnes adverts, I think the earlier ones used the slogan Pure Genius & the Surfari's Wipeout for the music.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Very sad news indeed.. I remember him most for escape from sobbibor based on a true story of the ww2 death camp.

R i p r.h
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The Hitcher was one of his finest roles

RIP

Comment

Working...
            X