Boris,s police pledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boris,s police pledge

So Boris has pledged to recruit 20,000 new police officers over the next three years, i hope we might see the return of the bobby on the beat instead of more mobile battenburgs victimizing motorists. I wonder how much thought has gone into this promise, i mean the logistics of recruiting,training and stationing 20,000 extra people must be scary, call me cynical (because i am) but with a possible general election looming this pledge smacks of vote bait to me.
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Re: Boris,s police pledge

It would be nice to see an increase in police officers to match the increase of crime that is happening - the number of stabbings and shootings in the capital this year speaks for itself, and as Boris Johnson is a former London Mayor himself it should have been more than apparent to him in any case. At the end of the day though, isn't it the Police and Crime Commissioners who deal with those sorts of decisions, although the Mayor does that in London. Look at the 2011 riots in London and elsewhere - the police were outnumbered, even when officers from nearby forces such as Kent and Thames Valley assisted their Metropolitan colleagues. When I go away at the end of August, I don't want to travel through London because if what could be happening.

I have to say that I was disappointed that Boris Johnson became Prime Minister instead of Jeremy Hunt - I am a Conservative Party member (although not really an activist), and I voted for Hunt in the postal ballot which I received in the post on 4th July, and put it inside the five-foot red ballot box down the road after I voted. To me, Hunt felt like a Cameron-type leader and that made me think that he had a chance, so to find out on Tuesday that around a third of party members had voted for him wasn't that optimistic. The problem is that Johnson feels to be too much of a media stalwart for the job, and no doubt that people have made comparisons between him and Donald Trump.

Regarding Boris Johnson becoming Prime Minister, it made me think that Harold Wilson is no longer the only Prime Minister who has presented a TV show as Johnson has also presented some himself - i.e. hosted Have I Got News For You and others - he feels more like a celebrity rather than a politician, and in many cases, that's what it feels like when it comes to MPs who have worked in television before entering politics such as Soubry, McVey, Brabin and others.

Although Johnson has ruled out an autumn General Election, it would be interesting if there was one held - I have always assumed that the Conservatives would lose if Johnson set foot in Downing Street which would mean having the wrong Jeremy in there instead. Having a far-left Prime Minister is just as bad as having a right-wing one.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

It's really a win - win situation for the right wing as a low level of police reduces taxes for the rich & artificially increases crime, & pledging to increase police numbers is a vote winner.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

How long would it take to train 20,00 new officers?
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

It’s just nice to see someone behaving in a positive manner tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
            How long would it take to train 20,000 new officers?
            I suppose it wouldn't take too long - when you think about it, thousands of police officers are new to forces every year in order to replace those who are retiring - it is a small percentage of all officers who exist at the moment.

Also, if you think about the PCSOs and those sort of people, they are on the right track to graduating to become police officers - after all, they do wear a similar uniform to most constables.
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
            X