Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earliest Football Season you can recall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earliest Football Season you can recall?

Though now I have nearly as many statistics - Tables-wise as needed, for years my first 2 memories of end's of Football Seasons was I think 1984/85 and Wolves, Notts Co and Cradiff going down to the old 3rd Division then the 85/86 Season (for all top 4/5 Leauges) very well - which of course included Wimbledon's rise to D1 completed and Wolves going down to the 4th Division for the first time ever as well as the first every "All Merseyside FA Cup Final" contest

What about you guy's .... which one is your first memory??

80sChav

Re: Earliest Football Season you can recall?

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
    Though now I have nearly as many statistics - Tables-wise as needed, for years my first 2 memories of end's of Football Seasons was I think 1984/85 and Wolves, Notts Co and Cradiff going down to the old 3rd Division then the 85/86 Season (for all top 4/5 Leauges) very well - which of course included Wimbledon's rise to D1 completed and Wolves going down to the 4th Division for the first time ever as well as the first every "All Merseyside FA Cup Final" contest

What about you guy's .... which one is your first memory??

80sChav
    I started to get interested in football around this time, but can't remember a particular event that got me interested.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      I started to get interested in football around this time, but can't remember a particular event that got me interested.
      I recall having the 1987 Panni Sticker Book Richard and Reading had just made it back to the 2nd Tier aftera bout 60 years away and someone swapped something so I could have the Reading Badge - as for the 2nd Division Teams it was only a Team Pic and Crest/Badge - unlike though in the 1982 Book, where they had 3rd Division Team Pics and Badges too, which a distant relative gave me in 1990 (as well as he gave me a 1978 one) as well

The 78 Season was memorable for Mansfied's 1 season sorjorn into D2, as like with York City a few years before (and Yeovil and Burton in modern times) that they played mega big relegated clubs (or at least these Clubs were deemed Mega at the time), Aka Southampton and Tottenham in Mansfield's Year and Aston Villa, Sunderland and Man U for York - until York then met Man City for 1 Season in 1999 in the old 3rd (new 2nd as it was then) and then which then promptly changed again to Leauge 1 after the Championship's Re-incarnation from the old Division 1) in the first decade of the mid Noughties

80sChav

Comment

My earliest memory is the 1978 world cup final, I was allowed to stay up and watch the first half and remember talking about it at school the next day. Domestically the first season I remember was 78/79 with Arsenal winning the FA cup and Forest the European Cup.
        The first Panini album I had was 81/82.
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

The first season I have any memories of was the 1969-1970 one, particularly the FA Cup that year, and it was also World Cup year--Mexico 1970. I had the sticker album for that one, an A4-sized affair with some England players on the cover celebrating their WC win 4 years previously. I also remember so clearly that day when West Germany beat us 3-2 in the QF. We watched the first half at home and then went to my grandparents for the second half--they lived a five minute walk away. That was the first time I cried at a football result, and again I recall so clearly my late mum saying, "Never mind, there's always next time." Just going back to the FA Cup, that was the year that there was a replay. Chelsea and Leeds drew 2-2 at Wembley, then Chelsea won 2-1 at Old Trafford in the replay. That replay was, shall we say, quite robust in the tackling department, with two notoriously hard tacklers in the mix, Chopper Harris of Chelsea and Bites Yer Legs Norman Hunter of Leeds. A modern analysis showed that a referee of today would have issued 6 red and 20 yellow cards. It was a tough game to be sure, but there was nowhere near as much simulation and rolling on the floor pretending you were hurt back then. Players just got on with it.

Comment

As it was Nottingham Forest in my neck of the woods (if you excuse the pun), it was Brian Clough all the way. I also had the Panini sticker books as well - groups of us in the school playground swapping carious stickers with each other until there were only a few left and after ripping open the packets, finding you have got all of them and cannot find the final three or four. This must have been 1986-1987ish?
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

My brother had the Pannini sticker books for a few years, you could send off for the last so many stickers but only so many could be badges.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                My earliest memory is the 1978 world cup final, I was allowed to stay up and watch the first half and remember talking about it at school the next day. Domestically the first season I remember was 78/79 with Arsenal winning the FA cup and Forest the European Cup.
                The first Panini album I had was 81/82.
                Cloughie's finest hour (or should I say hour and a half), that was - Forest has never had a greater manager ever since.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Vague memories of what must have been '70-'71
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Earliest Football Season you can recall?

I saw Eusebio play at Burnden Park when I was about 12 or so .... only a benefit match but ...

My first memory of league games were at Burnley in the early seventies... when they were TOP of the First Division !! ( PremierLeague basically) .

Back then Chelsea were my ‘English interest so I loved it when they visited in the league and Cup games .. Chelsea also visited our home team Bury ... in both cups a few times

I’ll never forget seeing Peter Osgood practicing shooting before the games .. amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Topical - Bury are in the news at the moment, for a sad reason...
                      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                        Very true .. they are clinging on for dear life .. the real tragedy is that two of our most famous sons Gary and Phil Neville could save Bury in a heartbeat given they both multi millionaires ....The Bury ground even has a main area called the Neville Stand - instead they’ve pumped money and effort into Salford City ..

Comment

I hope that the tabloids don't start putting "Dead and Bury-ed" on the back pages.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                            I hope that the tabloids don't start putting "Dead and Bury-ed" on the back pages.
                            I fear the worst .... that said I’ve not been to watch them for about 20 years due to my dislike/fear of crowds
                            ( crowds = more than two others )

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                              Agreed yeah I hope they make it through as too for Bolton too

They'd be the first major Team from the top 5 Divisions to go bust since the 1991/92 Season with Aldershot .... then Maidstone not kicking off the 1992/93 season in the August of 1993. Though this did happen that Scarbrough probably was the last Club to go bust in the mid first decade of the 2000s after falling out of the Confrence National to the Confrence North

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X