Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1170

Thread: Jackie magazine

Default Re: Jackie magazine

Hi there,

I don't suppose anyone has any Jackie issues from 1965? I'm looking for a certain piece for an article I'm writing.

'Darren', who's contributed so much to this thread, seems not to be contactable because his mailbox is full...

I'd be ridiculously grateful for any help!

Many thanks,
    Colin.
    Vworp Vworp! magazine

My sister (or was it my mother?) used to get Jackie in the early 1980s - was it DC Thomson that published it?

Didn't it start in 1964, probably January, around the time that TOTP started?
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

when did it start, when did it finish ?

I am sure it started at the start of 1964 and end in the mid 1990s? Around the time when Tampax and Li-lets adverts dominated the back pages?
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

How different was it as a magazine to say, Woman or Woman's Own? (which seem to be sub-Hello or OK magazines these days).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    How different was it as a magazine to say, Woman or Woman's Own? (which seem to be sub-Hello or OK magazines these days).
    Well my mum aunt etc older ladies read womens own for knitting ideas cooking recipes agony aunts,and girls like myself read Jackie for pin ups of pop stars or groups lol

There are lot of women's magazines on eBay dating back several decades, and it's amazing that even the IPC ones like Woman's Own seemed to be aimed at elderly women up until the 1970s - now, one can imagine a mother in her 20s reading the stuff as it is full of celebrity nonsense and a little less on the medical stuff. From the late 1970s onwards they sometimes had men on the front cover, usually of the celebrity heartthrob kind - something which wouldn't have happened in the 1950s or 1960s. One thing about this is that it is nice to see a man on the cover, and I am sure that the female readers like it as well!

What I liked about Jackie or other girly mags was the free gift one thing I remember was a purple ring I had that for ages loved it thank you Jackie lol

I like how you refer to them as "girly mags"!

COULD BE there are still some and schoolboy and schoolgirl mags on the shelves
    but not nearly as many as in the 60s and 70s....

the internet is slowly killing everything off