Whistle down the wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistle down the wind

I just watched a charming black and white from the fifties on TCM called whistle down the wind, it stars Hayley mills ,Alan bates and Bernard lee but the real star here is the young kid who played Charles with his funny broad yorkshire accent, he's hilarious!...Alan bates plays a convict on the run who hides out on the family farm in one of the barns, he has a vague similarity to jesus so when Mills discovers him hiding she asks "are you jesus"? to which he replies "yes", It than becomes the worst kept secret in the village as the three children vow to take care of his every need until inevitably he is discovered by the police...here is a picture of young Charles....
    Attached Files
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Re: Whistle down the wind

Was that the film where the Boyzone song No Matter What originally came from? - I have always thought of it as a 1990s song because of the boyband.

It was made in 1961, wasn't it?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

It's a wonderful film. Some great acting and direction. Yes, the actor who plays the young lad steals every scene he is in. Some lovely camerawork, showing off the bleakness of the countryside. I have seen it umpteen times--it used to turn up quite regularly on BBC2 in the 80s and 90s, and I had the pleasure of introducing the film to my wife, who had never seen it, during one of those transmissions.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
        It's a wonderful film. Some great acting and direction. Yes, the actor who plays the young lad steals every scene he is in. Some lovely camerawork, showing off the bleakness of the countryside. I have seen it umpteen times--it used to turn up quite regularly on BBC2 in the 80s and 90s, and I had the pleasure of introducing the film to my wife, who had never seen it, during one of those transmissions.
        It was filmed near us and they all kinda talk like us around here ..

Good old northern accents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It gets shown on Film 4 or Talking Pictures every now & again, I've seen a lot of good old films on them recently.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I never watched the Film, but in all honesty Boyzone and the late great Stephen Gately probably made this - even more memorable with No Matter What and Stphen's amazing amazing voice on here. I can recall this song like yesterday from 1999 and exactly what I was doing and just knew it'd be a mega mega mega hit!!

What a talent - Stephen was he taken way too soon from us

80sChav

Comment

I think it was a 1998 number one, but point taken - when I think of a Boyzone song, just lots of number ones done by artists and groups, No Matter What is the usually the first one that comes to mind.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                I never watched the Film, but in all honesty Boyzone and the late great Stephen Gately probably made this - even more memorable with No Matter What and Stphen's amazing amazing voice on here. I can recall this song like yesterday from 1999 and exactly what I was doing and just knew it'd be a mega mega mega hit!!

What a talent - Stephen was he taken way too soon from us

80sChav
                The film was made in the 60s and the song does not feature

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  It gets shown on Film 4 or Talking Pictures every now & again, I've seen a lot of good old films on them recently.
                  My mum loves this film, it was on recently too.

Comment

The kids are undoubtedly the stars here but the only professional film stars among them were Hayley mills as Cathy and Roy holder as Jackie, the other kids were locals who were undoubtedly excited to appear. The real star however was Alan barnes who plays Charles,the youngest of the three siblings who steals every scene

Comment

Always reminds me of West Side Story (also from 1961).
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                        Always reminds me of West Side Story (also from 1961).
                        Really?...there are two different messages here, one about love and the other about hate, the two films couldn't be more different George?

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                          Was that the film where the Boyzone song No Matter What originally came from? - I have always thought of it as a 1990s song because of the boyband.

It was made in 1961, wasn't it?
                          The book the film was based on was used as inspiration for Andrew Lloyd Webbers Musical version from the 90s.
                          That's where the song was from. The musical was set in America's deep South so out went the yorkshire accents.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                            Really?...there are two different messages here, one about love and the other about hate, the two films couldn't be more different George?
                            I meant that they are from the same time rather than have similar content.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                            X