Any gamers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any gamers here?

I'm 43 now, and got my first computer when I was 10 - a ZX Spectrum + back in 1986. The start of a long love-affair with gaming. I went from Spectrum to Amiga to PC; mostly playing on computers but always having a console on the go.

I know there is a DYR thread about games and memories, but I was wondering if there are any fellow nostalgics here who still enjoy modern games and gaming? I am mostly PC / Steam these days. My PS4 died a death last year and I might as well hang on for the PS5 in 2020.

Be nice to have a gaming chat with you lot; maybe even see if we can get something online going on. Unless it's just me here who still loves games?!

REMEMBER: cream first, jam second...

sigpic

Re: Any gamers here?

Oddly enough whilst watching The Phantom Menace today one of the scenes gave me a flashback moment of playing the Terminator 2 game ... the level where all those skeleton type robots were running towards the screen ..??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I went C64 to Amiga to PC from about 1982, so had a similar background and still play some modern stuff - I tend to go for the indie games instead of the AAA stuff.

The difference is now that I don't have the patience with games. Back in the day I would happily sit down for hours with a text adventure, but I downloaded one on emulation the other day and just gave up after about 30 seconds, which is kind of sad.

Modern game I've spent most time on lately is probably Everspace. I'm also revisiting Superhot at the moment after a long break.

Comment

I got seriously addicted to the Colin McCrae Rally series of games but then I discovered the wonders of the Call of Duty series and lost years of my life playing multiplayer ONLINE ... I never once played the campaign mode .

I played the PC versions using keyboard and mouse

Comment

Nah, not for the past 20 years or so...i can still see the appeal however
          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I've played Assassin Creed, i liked it, the screen does move a bit too quick in parts though, made me dizzy! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
              Nah, not for the past 20 years or so...i can still see the appeal however
              I we had some spare cash I’d certainly be getting a new PC gaming computer...

Comment

I still play games on pc and console. Started with a Commodore VIC-20 in the early 80's, now use a gaming pc and usually a XBox One. I tend to avoid online gaming except for World of Tanks on console (gave up on the pc version as the community is just toxic).

Comment

Yup, been gaming at home since 78 with the Atari VCS, which I still have.

I still enjoy retro gaming and also modern consoles, my modern console love started with the PlayStation and i've bought pretty much every new console since. Although I don't have a switch.

Currently playing PS4 and Xbox One and still enjoying it. No Man's Sky on PSVR is my latest one to try out, but Sea of thieves on Xbox is my current favourite game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                    Yup, been gaming at home since 78 with the Atari VCS, which I still have.

I still enjoy retro gaming and also modern consoles, my modern console love started with the PlayStation and i've bought pretty much every new console since. Although I don't have a switch.

Currently playing PS4 and Xbox One and still enjoying it. No Man's Sky on PSVR is my latest one to try out, but Sea of thieves on Xbox is my current favourite game.
                    Ahh the PlayStation v XBox debate

Back in the day it was Sega v Nintendo ...

Our family were firmly with Sega ... Master System then MegaDrive but then Mario64 came along ..

My son is in Florida and he and his wife play COD on their PlayStation4 .

He’s suggested I buy a PlayStation to play him online but cash is tight and I don’t think I could adapt from the mouse and keyboard they’re so intuitive especially after all those years I put in ..

Comment

Nice to see some fellow gamers on here!

Like some of you, I find a lot of the AAA 'big' games these days to be generic and more of the same. Another year, another series of generic shooters and sports games. A lot of them are now just vehicles for selling off microtransactions and loot boxes. Basically a way to get kids hooked on gambling. The indie and mid-size scene feels, to me, very much like the home computer game scene of the 80s and '90s felt...it had soul, passion, creativity and sheer fun.

I was quite tempted by No Man's Sky, which looks like it is finally complete. Does it have an ending?

Apart from that, I am a demon for adventure and RPG games, and Steam is a goldmine for such things. I recently played through the Secret Files adventure games and the first Phantasmagoria, on Good Old Games. That was an experience!

Still, going back to games you loved as a kid can be a disappointing experience. A couple of times a year, I fire up the Spectrum Emulator in the hopes of capturing some of that joy and wonder I felt, playing those old games as a kid. And then you start playing them. You realise how frustrating, slow and almost 'broken' a lot of them were. I recently played the Spectrum version of OutRun via emulator. I played it to death back in 1988. I could barely stand 5 minutes now. It was slow as old people shagging.

As we all know, the only playground debate that matters is Spectrum vs Commodore 64.

(Spectrum wins, obviously)

REMEMBER: cream first, jam second...

sigpic

Comment

I had great times during the 80s on my Sega megadrive...here are a few games i remember playing.

METAL SLUG, GHOSTS AND GHOULS, PAGEMASTER, DICK TRACY, BALLZ, ECCO THE DOLPHIN, ROBOCOP, GOLDENAXE,TEKKEN, MICRO MACHINES...ALL NOW ASSIGNED TO THE SKIP

Comment

Any gamers here?

Originally posted by Disco_Puppy View Post
                          Nice to see some fellow gamers on here!

Like some of you, I find a lot of the AAA 'big' games these days to be generic and more of the same. Another year, another series of generic shooters and sports games. A lot of them are now just vehicles for selling off microtransactions and loot boxes. Basically a way to get kids hooked on gambling. The indie and mid-size scene feels, to me, very much like the home computer game scene of the 80s and '90s felt...it had soul, passion, creativity and sheer fun.

I was quite tempted by No Man's Sky, which looks like it is finally complete. Does it have an ending?

Apart from that, I am a demon for adventure and RPG games, and Steam is a goldmine for such things. I recently played through the Secret Files adventure games and the first Phantasmagoria, on Good Old Games. That was an experience!

Still, going back to games you loved as a kid can be a disappointing experience. A couple of times a year, I fire up the Spectrum Emulator in the hopes of capturing some of that joy and wonder I felt, playing those old games as a kid. And then you start playing them. You realise how frustrating, slow and almost 'broken' a lot of them were. I recently played the Spectrum version of OutRun via emulator. I played it to death back in 1988. I could barely stand 5 minutes now. It was slow as old people shagging.

As we all know, the only playground debate that matters is Spectrum vs Commodore 64.

(Spectrum wins, obviously)
                          Beatles v Stones ( Beatles landslide)

T.Rex v Slade ( T. Rex kills then lol)

Oasis v Blur ( I still love Oasis music ) but I’ve hated NoelG since his vitriolic outburst at Michael Hutchence when the INXS singer was presenting Oasis with an award !!

Hutchence was embarrassed and absolutely devastated at the immensely public insults and it was mentioned as a contributing factor in his eventual death ..

Last edited by Zincubus; 16-08-2019, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                            Beatles v Stones ( Beatles landslide)

T.Rex v Slade ( T. Rex kills then lol)

Oasis v Blur ( I still love Oasis music ) but I’ve hated NoelG since his vitriolic outburst at Michael Hutchence when the INXS singer was presenting Oasis with an award !!

Hutchence was embarrassed and absolutely devastated at the immensely public insults and it was mentioned as a contributing factor in his eventual death ..

Wrong thread perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                              Wrong thread perhaps?
                              Not really ... I admit I did go on a slight tangent but it was a direct reference to the final paragraph of #11 and it is a forum after all ..

Apologies if anyone’s miffed at my transgression ..

Comment

Working...
                              X