Holidays - Where did you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Holidays - Where did you go?

We always went to either Withernsea, Bridlington or Scarborough, though we did once go to Beacholme near Cleethorpes. We didn't need flights to Spain, we had the New Holland ferry.
    By 'eck, there's greased lightning about that lad!

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
      Camber Sands for me too..15 years running.
      we never went to Pontins, too much like a stalag with its loudspeakers and regime. Although we used to sneak in there over the fence.We used to stay at Maddiesons camp further up the road or Silver Sands.
      Still a fantastic place for a day at the beach,but a bit of a Chav haven.
      Theres a Maddiesons 'Pirates' badge up for sale on ebay at the moment and it does say Pirates not black eye (link in your pm box, hurry if you want it. it only has 20 hrs to go)
      Heather

Comment

Most years we went down to the New Forest and stayed (first in a tent and then we bought a caravan) at a campsite near Milford-On-Sea called Lytton Lawn. We used to go round Lymington, Christchurch, Bournemouth, Southampton and into the main forest. I don't go back there as often as I'd like but the last time was in 2004.

I remember that we used to go and have occasional meals at the restaurant at the Pontins Wick Ferry Holiday Camp in Christchurch. The dining hall was like walking into a school hall. By 2004, the camp had been bulldozed and was in the process of being replaced by housing.

In the evenings we used to have a dinghy with a small outboard motor which we would launch at Keyhaven and motor out towards Hurst Castle, and we would sometimes go to The White Horse in Milford, and sit out in the beer garden, or in my case, play on the climbing frame. Great times.
        Last edited by Austin Maxi; 17-05-2010, 21:00.
        "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Every childhood holiday we went on was at Morecambe. Really loved the place has a kid. But its a ghost town now apparently
          Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

We use to go camping in tents at camp sites a lot.I can remember walking aroud york on one holiday,and walking around edinburgh on another holiday.I cannot remember,but i assume we were camping in tents.I do recall on our visit to edinburgh,staying at a small guest house for a day or two.Perhaps it was as a one off treat while we were there,or it was the main place to stay for us.

Comment

Spent our Hols in Dad's touring caravan going to various places in the Uk and I loved it. Still do, as me & Hubby have one now.

Comment

Ok everyone get your hankies out! I only had two hols when I was little because we had a small holding and couldn't leave the animals & there wasn't anyone locally to look after them whilst we were away besides, it was harvest - one of our busiest times. My two hols were a week in a fishermans cottage in Sherringham and a week in a chalet in Scarborough. Both hols were fantastic - it was such a treat to 'go on holiday'

Comment

Aw. I'm jealous because I wanted a small holding!

Comment

Originally posted by The Low Country View Post
                    Ok everyone get your hankies out! I only had two hols when I was little because we had a small holding and couldn't leave the animals & there wasn't anyone locally to look after them whilst we were away besides, it was harvest - one of our busiest times. My two hols were a week in a fishermans cottage in Sherringham and a week in a chalet in Scarborough. Both hols were fantastic - it was such a treat to 'go on holiday'

Snap!! Well not technically a small holding, but we did have horses, sheep, countless chickens/guinea pigs/rabbits, plus at least 2 dogs. So we probably got a handful of holidays when I was young. I remember at the time being really jealous of my pet-less friends who got to go to Spain and other "exotic" places every year.....but looking back I wouldn't have had it any other way! (probably why I'm training to be a vet now!!)

Comment

Yay! Beats a holiday any day, we had fab fun. Just been writing about it on 'school days' Holidays were fab too because they were such a treat but I loved coming home too. Think I must be a 'home bird' at heart because I don't have a small holding like my mum and dad did (but I'd love one) but still feel the same after all these years

Originally posted by Seventies Child View Post
                      Aw. I'm jealous because I wanted a small holding!

Comment

Good luck to you with vet training. I totally agree with what you say. We had arable too, as well as geese, ducks and goats. All good fun! :-)

Comment

We didn't have many holidays when i was young, firstly because of the cost and also because we had a business. A shop for a few years and then a pub. My sister went on holiday with my Uncle and Auntie (she was their favourite), my brother went fishing and camping with my Dad and I went to Blackpool with my mum! I've never been keen on Blackpool.

We did have one or two good hols though, once we went to Rhyll and stayed in a caravan.

But one of the best holidays I had was in 1981 when we took our kids to Holland camping. Glorious weather, lovely campsite lots to do, beautiful beaches and we had a bunch of terrific friends with us too. It was the summer of Charles and Dianas wedding and on the day we had a 'street party' between the tents and all dressed in red white and blue! The wedding was shown on TV in the campsite bar and when the National Amthem played all the Brits stood up to a man!
                          The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

Holidays as a child was usually Butlins Pwhelli, North Wales, or to our Caravan in Prestatyn North Wales. Now my holidays are taken in much more exotic places. But I am in the financial position to be able to go to places like ,Thailand, St Lucia, Cuba, Kenya, Hong Kong, also USA and Australia. Also the odd weeks in Majorca, Canaries or Greece, when I have a few spare weeks from work in between. I have been very fortunate in life. But would not knock anyone if they had a holiday in this country. There are some beautiful places in our Green and Pleasant land.

Comment

We always used to go up to the North of Scotland. Mainly Aviemore (Santa Claus Land - who remembers that?) and Boat of Garten. Then we went to Loch Ness, Oban, Fort William on other holidays. Remember we'd rent out a cottage when I was really young, then we stayed in a B&B one year as we were only away the weekend. After that we only booked through Hoeseasons, staying on caravan sites or chalets.

At the time I wasn't too impressed always staying in Scotland for our holidays, I always badgered Mum & Dad to take us somewhere exciting like Butlins or Blackpool, but we never got. I'm glad, as those holidays made my childhood and we loved them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Low Country View Post
                                Ok everyone get your hankies out! I only had two hols when I was little because we had a small holding and couldn't leave the animals & there wasn't anyone locally to look after them whilst we were away
                                We never really went on holiday in my family, only visiting relatives in Sussex and Yorkshire. We were rarely together as a family, we had a dog and somebody had to stay behind to look after it (usually my Dad). There are four of us which must have been expensive for my parents, and once the eldest started leaving home it was difficult to get everybody together for anything, let alone a holiday.

My Mum still buys those little Kelloggs boxes when I visit her to this day, but they don't put Ricicles in them anymore, prompting me to actually check whether Ricicles are still sold in supermarkets the other day (they are).

Comment

Working...
                                X