Holidays - Where did you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Holidays - Where did you go?

a gantastic show and a real blasy from the past.
    seen something lasy night aout old coach tours great show.

both are great for those into nostalgia.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

As a child, from manchester to southampton (where I was born and now live). After that, lived in New Zealand and toured the North Island extensively with my family, my dad was a manager of a caravan company which meant every summer we just hitched up a caravan for two weeks and just travelled.

I've also been to America disneyland etc in the 70's, Singapore, fiji..............all good times.

Comment

My first holiday was in 1984 when the whole family went to Sri Lanka. We met my Mum's relatives and stayed with them. As a small boy it was eye opening to meet my Mums own Mum and Dad. Sadly, they actually had become senile since the last time Mum saw them in 1975 when she went over with my Sister when she was little. It wasn't an enjoyable trip, I got ill with Mosquito bites and we had to come home earlier than planned. We'd had all the jabs and tablets but I guess my parents didn't think about the Mossies...or some Deet would have done. We went back in 1992 as well and we stayed the whole duration-I hated it for a number of reasons but mainly for contracting Cellulitus from infected....you guessed it:MOSQUITO BITES.:cry: My Mum got the illness when we came back to the UK and actually needed to be in Hospital for a week or two...all we bloody needed was Pennicillin tablets!!! When we went there both times we stayed with Mum or Dads relatives, we basically lived as the natives so didn't really do the tourist thing of staying in nice hotels and seeing all the best parts of the country. I having been back since but if I go I'd like to go as a tourist and live it up for a change....
        My Dads been to America, Canada, Greece-he went there to see if it was worth emigrating with the family. I used to think he should have taken us with him at the time but I guess its a) a welcome break for the man and b) easier to see the realities of a foreign country much easily when alone. Toward the end of their lives Mum and Dad used Travelsphere Coach Holidays and saw Italy, Switzerland, France. They loved the holidays there and raved about the peoples in those countries being so nice to them which I found odd as usually Europeans can be racist to non Whites. When I see Coach Trip it reminds me a bit of their hols...As an adult I've been to Southern France, Northern France and Northern Italy.

Comment

robin hood camp between rhyl and prestatyn. My dad used to love coming back to the caravan at the end of the evening and lighting the gas lamps. Ahh those were the days.

Comment

The bulk of my childhood holidays were usually spent in static caravans as my parents weren't that wealthy. We stayed at the Holimarine site in Goodrington(between Torquay and Paington) for a few years in a row and it was the mid-late 80's when the summers always seemed long and hot. Our holiday treat used to be battered chips and fish from a place in Goodrington sands called 'The Frying Scotsman'. My dad would usually spend an hour or so fishing in Brixham while my mum and me would look around the shops or just look at the boats in the harbour. We once had a week in a static caravan in Aberystwyth. It rained solidly for 5 days out of 7 and all I had for entertainment was a Tonka Jeep! Later on, my parents bought an old Sprite touring caravan which had a footpump for the water, gas lights and no running hot water. We had a week in Bournemouth in it which was great fun. After a succession of caravan holidays my parents wanted a change and we had a week at Butlins in Minehead. 3 days into the holiday I woke up from a terrible nightmare that made me scream my head off into the small hours. We packed up and went home the next day. So it was back to the caravan the next year. In the early 90s my dad got promoted at work and we started to take foreign holidays from then on. My folks still love caravanning and they have a permanent pitch on a site in South Wales but I don't have time anymore for weeks away as I work very hard running my own business.

Comment

Comment

Sheerness on the isle of sheppey,later minster on sheppey as mum had relatives there.Wales once with grandparants.Swanage once with the lions club in a caravan.Many other holidays were spent local perhaps with the odd day out at longleat or Rode bird gardens or a picknic at the park etc.Many more in my teens I usually stayed with dad whilst mum went to see relatives.I don't really think we ever had the money to go far at all in those days.

Comment

saw the maddiesons mug on ebay last week, there's three badges( job lot) on there too.
                  Heather

Comment

Thanks for the info, H
                    Bidding

Comment

I had Mothers Day dinner at Fishbone's in Southfield, MI.

Comment

As a child I never went on holiday........my dad was in the raf and wasn't allowed to be away for too long due to the nature of his work........we would spend 3 or 4 days in Eastbourne with my grandparents....... when my dad joined civi-street our family settled in Eastbourne and I've been here ever since

Comment

I love the places people have mentioned in this thread and other thread's in the "Holiday's Section", I so so like the places that are not as known as the major holiday places. Torquay was another place we went to twice, as was Eastboune which i'd forgotten about. Happy happy times indeed.

Comment

• It was always Blackpool when I was wee, went to Berwick-upon-tweed and Scarborough once each.

When I was 11 we went to Dublin for a long weekend then in 1998 we went abroad for the first time. Well my first time as my parents had been before.

Since then only 2003 has been the only year I've not been abroad at least once.

Comment

Crimdon dene caravan park, just outside Hartlepool (known in the North East as Costa del Crimdon) and a caravan park at Berwick. Down at heel, on the face of it **** but some surprisingly happy memories.

Comment

• Several places on the east coast, but particularly Bamburgh and a wonderful guest house called Greenhill Farm with it's secluded sandy beaches and dunes. Bliss.

Comment

Working...
                                X