Holidays - Where did you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holidays - Where did you go?

Where did you go on holiday as a child? How did you spend those long glorious days of the summer holiday off school?

We only went away once and that was to Berwick-upon-Tweed to a two bedroom caravan and I had to share a bed with my Step-dads mother!
    Thank heaven the foloowing week I was back in Utopia.... staying with Nan for four solid weeks! Bliss!
    sigpic
    Mrs Oggy
    ~~~*~~~*~~~
    Count your friends amongst the stars....
    And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Heeey Momma!

Good topic! Well I am from London hence our childhood holidays were in Clacton on Sea, and Walton on the Naze. I have such happy memories of those days - who needs the Bahamas???

My Mum's family were from Caister on Sea in Norfolk, so we'd also have lots of days out there and Great Yarmouth, visiting family. Sadly there are now none of them left, but I do still go to Norfolk every year and still love it!

~Smee_1972

Comment

I remeber us going to Portugal once when i was 6. Other places we've been are Rhyl, Butlins (or was it pontins?)
      Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

Comment

had some great jollies when i was a kid, butlins in minehead and bognor regis.
        in the main we went to blackpool ....back when it was quite nice.

Comment

Camber Sands everyyear..and we loved it..fantastic beach

Comment

Hi guys..

We used to go caravan holidays mainly, my mum and I and Gran..we went to Scarborough Berwick, Saltcoats,Arbroath and..St.Andrews!!! Great times..I remember we once went to the Isle of Skye and a weekend to Inverness..all good fun...

Regards..

Rab ;0)

Fife
            scotland

Comment

Gt Yarmouth For England Capital!

Originally posted by Smee_1972
              Heeey Momma!

Good topic! Well I am from London hence our childhood holidays were in Clacton on Sea, and Walton on the Naze. I have such happy memories of those days - who needs the Bahamas???

My Mum's family were from Caister on Sea in Norfolk, so we'd also have lots of days out there and Great Yarmouth, visiting family. Sadly there are now none of them left, but I do still go to Norfolk every year and still love it!

~Smee_1972
              Well Gt Yarmouth is our holiday place of choice. The kids love the beach and so does Oggy especially when he gets into a hole digging contest with another Dad. Vauxhall holiday park by the train station is where we generally stay.... bliss!
              Mind you I originate from Lancaster and did have some wonderful picnics on the beach at Morecambe with Nan. Wouldnt go near the place now!
              sigpic
              Mrs Oggy
              ~~~*~~~*~~~
              Count your friends amongst the stars....
              And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

We'd be sent to aunts for a week or so, in return our cousins would stay with us. The first place we all went to as a family was the Isle of Man for a weekend when I was 9/10.
                Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Originally posted by MommaMystique
                  Well Gt Yarmouth is our holiday place of choice. The kids love the beach and so does Oggy especially when he gets into a hole digging contest with another Dad. Vauxhall holiday park by the train station is where we generally stay.... bliss!
                  Mind you I originate from Lancaster and did have some wonderful picnics on the beach at Morecambe with Nan. Wouldnt go near the place now!
                  I'm gonna start an Oggy thread me thinks......

So is it just me then thta digs whopping great holes when they're on the beach, the deepest was over my head, (though I'm only 5'10) ? Great Yarmouth is a great place nice beach, shops and fun, kool fair too. Have had some brilliant hollidays as a kid went to Scarborough, Skegness, Brixham (Though was in hospital on that holiday when my appendix burst yuck!), Minehead, Clacton, Hastings, the list goes on my mom and dad weren't keen on holidays aborad, my mom hates wales though we did venture to Rhyll a couple of times, and my dad hates scotland, anywhere in between was fine though. Find I'm enjoying the holidays more so now wiht my kids, my family kool, and thats the fun, playing on the beach, yep digging holes and sand sculpting, the best was a huge fish on Torquay beach so kool. And we love Cardiff too, not just because Doctor Who and now Torchwood are filmed there, well maybe it is a big part, nice place and lots of shops too, does that/this count as holiday Momma? And we like going to Nottigham too to shop, I love shopping. Though maybe Cardiff and Nottingham don't count as holidays, but they're quality family time for me and mine.

Comment

Hi mate!!!

lol lol.. got to ask, why did your dad hate Scotland? lol.. sorry im nosy..did he have a bad experience here? we do have lovely beaches, if a bit wet and cold and the scenery around fife is lovely, you cant move in St.Andrews in the summer because of the American and japanese Tourists up for the Golf and the University..

All the best....

Rab ;0)

Fife
                    Scotland

Comment

Not sure mate, don't think he's ever been there as far as I know, I'll ask him next time I see him, though myself I've always wanted to visit and explore the land of Highlander, Taggart, Rob Roy, and Take the High road.

Comment

Coming from the Isle of wight, we never really needed to go on holiday,
                        Plus , the summer holidays thats the time to earn money.
                        (Every day should be a Holiday) dandy warhols.

Ive lived here all my life and still there are places ive never visited on IOW , even pubs, but im working on it.

When you live 2 mins from the beach, you just never go there, its weird really.
                        When we did go away it was London or Theme park weekends mostly.

Comment

The Isle of Wight was always great to go on holiday, you got to visit Portsmouth well we did, see the Victory Admiral Nelsons flagship, then go on a ferry to the isle. Black Gang Chine was my fave, like smaller disney land but just as kool, and Alum bay with the multicoloured sands, awww those were the days my friends I'd thought they'd never end......Omg I've contracted Mary Hopkinitus.
                          Last edited by Oggy; 03-12-2006, 15:41. Reason: speeling mistakes

Comment

Re: Oh I Do Like to be Beside The Seaside!

The first holiday I remember was at Jaywick, must have been about 4. There was Dawlish (Devon) when I was 8, 2 weeks on the Isle of Wight when I was 14 - my parents loved it so much that they moved to Shanklin when my Dad retired. Apart from that, childhood holidays were mostly with friends or relatives - we went to Dover a lot, to stay with my mum's cousin. Not a great beach, as it's all shingle, but I got to know and love Dover Castle. Had a couple of holidays with family friends in Lichfield. If we weren't going away for a holiday, we'd have one Day Out a week, sometimes we'd go to Clacton. There was a place on the beach with trampolines, I think it was called "Kangeroo Kapers" - or maybe that was at Jaywick, just along the coast... I remember the first time I got up the courage to turn a somersault on the trampoline. After I got off the trampoline, I'd always jump a couple of times on the sand, knowing it would feel really weird after jumping on the trampoline.
                            We'd also have Days Out at the zoo, sightseeing in London, picnics in Epping Forest, visits to museums (luckily I enjoyed that).
                            There was the milestone summer when my parents decided that at 15 I was old enough to go on holiday without them - I went pony trekking in Cornwall with school friends. We also had a day in London, and a day at Clacton - they seemed very different when visited with friends rather than parents - not that we got up to anything we shouldn't, but the feeling of freedom was wonderful.
                            The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.

Comment

Re: Oh I Do Like to be Beside The Seaside!

I was born in the lake district and havce lived here all my life, so weekends would mean walking round various lakes and up and down mountains, holidays when i was little would be to the beach in my aunties cRARAVAN. mY FIRST HOLIDAY AROAD, I was about 10, impact coach to Estartit in spain, two days travel not good when your travel sick and your seat is next to the coach toilet. But i'm still g;ad of the opportunity.
                              "Raggy dolls, Raggy Dolls, dolls like you and me" "Raggy Dolls, Raggy Dolls, made imperfectly"

Comment

Working...
                              X