Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of 1980s calculators

Default A couple of 1980s calculators

I still have a Canon LC-34T pocket calculator with, of all things, an alarm clock. It takes two LR-44 batteries that are easily replaced by sliding a small cover off the back, dumping the batteries out, installing two new ones and sliding the cover back on. I even still have its folder/cover and the instruction manual. I've only ever seen one other, and that was within the last year or so and it wasn't even in person, but online and it was in terrible condition. The vinyl cover is a little wavy, but other than that it's still in perfect condition. Even the battery compartment is still spotless.
    I also still have, and I don't know from when exactly, but either 1984 or 85, a Casio FX-300 solar scientific calculator. I bought it brand new at the beginning of my junior year of high school, which started in 1985. It's not quite in the perfect condition that the Canon is, but it's not too far from it. It also has a vinyl folder, and like the Canon, is also a little wavy. Unfortunately I don't have the manual for it anymore. It got me through both my junior and senior years, plus whatever normal usage I've needed it for over the years. The only thing I never really liked about it is that it doesn't have a regular battery, so it has to be aimed at a light source to work. This wasn't a problem while I was in school because there were rows and rows of lighting directly overhead at all times. My son needed a scientific calculator last year and the year before for his junior and senior years of high school. Both years, I asked him at the beginning of the school year if he wanted a new one or if he wanted to use mine. Both years he turned down the chance to get a brand new one, and said he'd rather use mine. I had him check with his teachers to make sure it had all necessary functions, and they said it had everything he needed, so he used it for two years with no problems. It would be awesome if some time down the road, it's still around for one or more of his children to use.

Default Re: A couple of 1980s calculators

I received a credit card-sized solar powered calculator for my birthday in 1987 and it looked so amazing at the time - I used to switch the light off and back on again and it was like switching the calculator off and on at the same time.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I received a credit card-sized solar powered calculator for my birthday in 1987 and it looked so amazing at the time - I used to switch the light off and back on again and it was like switching the calculator off and on at the same time.
    I had something similar. It had a picture of a model on the flap.
    I still have the calculator.

They were so fascinating back then - I think that the calculator that I received was supposed to go into your wallet or Filofax. Solar power energy was almost magical to a nine year old back in 1987.

Of course, calculators were so big that they were like cash registers and all that when they first came around - you couldn't fit those into your pocket.

They were so fascinating back then - I think that the calculator that I received was supposed to go into your wallet or Filofax. Solar power energy was almost magical to a nine year old back in 1987.

Of course, calculators were so big that they were like cash registers and all that when they first came around - you couldn't fit those into your pocket.
    I work in high school supporting autistic teenagers ... .. .. they canít believe that there were no calculators or trainers when I was at school !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They do say that apollo 11 only had the same computing power as a pocket calculator.....dont know how true that is
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    They do say that apollo 11 only had the same computing power as a pocket calculator.....dont know how true that is
    Wonder if they could have used the log books we had to use before calcs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I work in high school supporting autistic teenagers ... .. .. they can’t believe that there were no calculators or trainers when I was at school !!
    I was surprised that by the time I reached Year 7 Comprehensive School we were allowed calculators in Maths lessons, and we did calculator Maths in Primary School. I am certain that one of the earlier teachers discouraged calculators as using them was regarded as a way of cheating when doing sums and that we would not be learning anything if we used them. Even now I use some paper to work out a sum and then check it on a calculator just to make sure.

My dad bought me a digital watch in 1979 that had solar panels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCPDC_0001_BURST20190915223637984_COVER.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	6227

Still have my credit card size calculator. Just located II in some junk at home.