Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public speaking

Default Public speaking

So as father of the bride in two weeks time it will be down to me to inform and hopefully amuse about one hundred and thirty people (GULP) as i stammer my way through what is for the second time my FOTB speech. I had this unenviable task two years ago when my eldest daughter got married, my nerves were obvious as i mumbled my way through it trying to get by on a list of bullet points instead of a written speech, BIG MISTAKE! This time it will be written out word for word. Thank goodness for you tube which has provided a few useful tips on effective speaking and of course a few gags.
    The best man has apologised and nominated brother of the groom to give the BM speech as he has apparently spent the past eight months worrying about it!... I geddit, for many people it's the worst nightmare but i'm seeing it more as a perfect opportunity to tell my daughter how proud my wife and i are and to tell her how much we love her
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Default Re: Public speaking

If I had to speak in public, I would made sure that I was scripted and that I would write a bit of dialogue for myself - even with a piece of paper in my hands with words on it, I would be able to concentrate more on what I was about to say.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    If I had to speak in public, I would made sure that I was scripted and that I would write a bit of dialogue for myself - even with a piece of paper in my hands with words on it, I would be able to concentrate more on what I was about to say.
    I always find your posts very articulate George

hope all goes well tex a great moment for all who will attend.
    i can just imagine how nervous it will be public speaking altho one good point is that it will be to people who know u and the best man.

i honestly dont think i could do public speaking id get a bit anxious.

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    So as father of the bride in two weeks time it will be down to me to inform and hopefully amuse about one hundred and thirty people (GULP) as i stammer my way through what is for the second time my FOTB speech. I had this unenviable task two years ago when my eldest daughter got married, my nerves were obvious as i mumbled my way through it trying to get by on a list of bullet points instead of a written speech, BIG MISTAKE! This time it will be written out word for word. Thank goodness for you tube which has provided a few useful tips on effective speaking and of course a few gags.
    The best man has apologised and nominated brother of the groom to give the BM speech as he has apparently spent the past eight months worrying about it!... I geddit, for many people it's the worst nightmare but i'm seeing it more as a perfect opportunity to tell my daughter how proud my wife and i are and to tell her how much we love her
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

I always find your posts very articulate George
    Thanks Tex, I'll take that as a compliment.

For some reason, I was chosen to do "public speaking" for my house at school. Not very public - I just had to read some text in front of the Head. Even so, I was bricking it but got through it: I came 3rd, so got some house points!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    For some reason, I was chosen to do "public speaking" for my house at school. Not very public - I just had to read some text in front of the Head. Even so, I was bricking it but got through it: I came 3rd, so got some house points!
    House points...bricking it, I geddit

I was thinking about all those MPs who speak in public on those green benches in Westminster - they are not scripted, are they? Even though they have pieces of paper at hand.

Mind you, we will probably have to wait five weeks before it happens again...

House points...bricking it, I geddit
    Ha, didn't even think of that! Maybe there's mortar this than meets the eye...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    ha, didn't even think of that! Maybe there's mortar this than meets the eye... :d