Public speaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public speaking

So as father of the bride in two weeks time it will be down to me to inform and hopefully amuse about one hundred and thirty people (GULP) as i stammer my way through what is for the second time my FOTB speech. I had this unenviable task two years ago when my eldest daughter got married, my nerves were obvious as i mumbled my way through it trying to get by on a list of bullet points instead of a written speech, BIG MISTAKE! This time it will be written out word for word. Thank goodness for you tube which has provided a few useful tips on effective speaking and of course a few gags.
    The best man has apologised and nominated brother of the groom to give the BM speech as he has apparently spent the past eight months worrying about it!... I geddit, for many people it's the worst nightmare but i'm seeing it more as a perfect opportunity to tell my daughter how proud my wife and i are and to tell her how much we love her
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Re: Public speaking

If I had to speak in public, I would made sure that I was scripted and that I would write a bit of dialogue for myself - even with a piece of paper in my hands with words on it, I would be able to concentrate more on what I was about to say.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
      If I had to speak in public, I would made sure that I was scripted and that I would write a bit of dialogue for myself - even with a piece of paper in my hands with words on it, I would be able to concentrate more on what I was about to say.
      I always find your posts very articulate George

Comment

hope all goes well tex a great moment for all who will attend.
        i can just imagine how nervous it will be public speaking altho one good point is that it will be to people who know u and the best man.

i honestly dont think i could do public speaking id get a bit anxious.

Originally posted by tex View Post
        So as father of the bride in two weeks time it will be down to me to inform and hopefully amuse about one hundred and thirty people (GULP) as i stammer my way through what is for the second time my FOTB speech. I had this unenviable task two years ago when my eldest daughter got married, my nerves were obvious as i mumbled my way through it trying to get by on a list of bullet points instead of a written speech, BIG MISTAKE! This time it will be written out word for word. Thank goodness for you tube which has provided a few useful tips on effective speaking and of course a few gags.
        The best man has apologised and nominated brother of the groom to give the BM speech as he has apparently spent the past eight months worrying about it!... I geddit, for many people it's the worst nightmare but i'm seeing it more as a perfect opportunity to tell my daughter how proud my wife and i are and to tell her how much we love her
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I always find your posts very articulate George
          Thanks Tex, I'll take that as a compliment.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

For some reason, I was chosen to do "public speaking" for my house at school. Not very public - I just had to read some text in front of the Head. Even so, I was bricking it but got through it: I came 3rd, so got some house points!
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
              For some reason, I was chosen to do "public speaking" for my house at school. Not very public - I just had to read some text in front of the Head. Even so, I was bricking it but got through it: I came 3rd, so got some house points!
              House points...bricking it, I geddit

Comment

I was thinking about all those MPs who speak in public on those green benches in Westminster - they are not scripted, are they? Even though they have pieces of paper at hand.

Mind you, we will probably have to wait five weeks before it happens again...
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

House points...bricking it, I geddit
                  Ha, didn't even think of that! Maybe there's mortar this than meets the eye...
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                    ha, didn't even think of that! Maybe there's mortar this than meets the eye... :d

Comment

Isn't it usually the Best Man who does the main speech at a wedding? - I often think that the Best Man gets the more difficult jobs than the couple getting married.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                        Isn't it usually the Best Man who does the main speech at a wedding? - I often think that the Best Man gets the more difficult jobs than the couple getting married.
                        I wouldn't say so, best man tells a witty story about the groom and toasts the happy couple, father of the bride however has to speak fondly about his new son in law and of course
                        recall a couple of amusing anitdotes about the bride as a child, he has to compliment the parents of the groom on raising a fine son and of course compliment the best man and the bridesmaids for their part in the proceedings

Comment

I keep thinking about that 1988 episode of Coronation Street where Don and Ivy get married - Jack Duckworth is the Best Man and has to wear his Vince St Clair outfit because he mislaid his wedding suit in one of the many pubs he went to for the Stag Night - and he nearly lost the ring because one of the pockets had a hole in it as well. Anyway, I am mostly referring to his "speech" in the Rovers while obviously having too much to drink.

In other words, speaking in public is like driving - don't drink prior to doing it.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I wouldn't say so, best man tells a witty story about the groom and toasts the happy couple, father of the bride however has to speak fondly about his new son in law and of course
                            recall a couple of amusing anitdotes about the bride as a child, he has to compliment the parents of the groom on raising a fine son and of course compliment the best man and the bridesmaids for their part in the proceedings
                            Thinking about it, I bet that a number of public speakers at weddings have found themselves on You've Been Framed due to one thing or another - if the wedding speech was filmed of course.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

So the wedding is tomorrow, signing off until monday...wish me luck

Comment

Working...
                              X