McDonald's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: McDonald's

Thinking about it, I have probably made an error as to when we got a McDonald's near us, as I had an important hospital appointment in summer 1996 and after attending we went to McDonald's, but I don't think it was much earlier than that. My visits over the years have been so sparse that the place could have been open for months and I wouldn't have realised, it being in an out-of-town location.

When we went to the Philippines, we went to McDonald's but also to a Pilipino equivalent called Jollibee--not sure if I spelled that correctly. Actually, although McDonald's there is very popular, being a place where teenagers want to hang out, I preferred Jollibee's burgers, particularly their Hawaiian, which was huge by the standards of British fast food burgers. There is a Jollibee in London, I believe, but not sure if there are any elsewhere.

Coming back to Wimpy, as well as getting to have a burger, I also used to love their Knickerbocker Glory when a child--that big, tall glass, and that name that always made me snigger when I asked for one--hey, I was only 10 or so!

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
      Thinking about it, I have probably made an error as to when we got a McDonald's near us, as I had an important hospital appointment in summer 1996 and after attending we went to McDonald's, but I don't think it was much earlier than that. My visits over the years have been so sparse that the place could have been open for months and I wouldn't have realised, it being in an out-of-town location.
      Now that is a double treat - attending McDonald's after a hospital appointment - that is, unless one has visited the hospital for a diet related health complaint which meant that one could not have McDonald's food. I know there was quite a bit of controversy when McDonalds wanted to open inside a hospital - McSpotlight were all over it like a rash.

Mind you, I am certain that the "treat" with regards to the hospital visit was a day off school, and as we pretended that it was too late in the day to go back, we did have a burger or something afterwards, probably as a "bravery" award sort of thing for managing to put up with being inside the hospital for a few hours.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I watched that movie the other week with Michael Keaton about Maccas, The Founder I think it was called, was entertaining and very interesting.

We never went to McDonalds as kids, it was deemed too expensive. We only got to go if another kid had a birthday party there, which happened twice i think, i remember one being in the McDonalds in Southend High Street and we all sat in the plastic boat, which was where they had the parties.

Myself, brother and sister did trick our dad into taking us to Wimpy once. He took us to Rayleigh shopping one weekend, Mum usually took us but couldn't go for some reason. Anyway, when we got to where Wimpy was we said "can wee go to wimpy for lunch? mum always takes us there". He wasn't impressed as it was "expensive" and it wasn't till we got home he realised she never took us there and he'd been conned.

Comment

I found it interesting that Rutland (the Cheshire of the East Midlands) happens to be the only county in England that does not have a McDonald's, although I often think of Rutland as part of Leicestershire like most other people do.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Tonight at 9pm channel 5......Mcdonalds v Burger king.
            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              I found it interesting that Rutland (the Cheshire of the East Midlands) happens to be the only county in England that does not have a McDonald's, although I often think of Rutland as part of Leicestershire like most other people do.
              Rutland is a beautiful part of the country. Long live McDonald's free.

Comment

I visited Oakham twice - once as part of a mystery tour. I bet that a lot of cafes and restaurants there benefit a bit from McDonald's absence.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                  And if they were both boxers, football teams, snooker players, etc, I know which one would win.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Yep, thats an hour of my life i aint gitten back!

Comment

If it was Wimpy v Burger King it would only be 10 minutes long.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

So i was in muckdonalds yesterday and it was orrible!....A barely warm cheeseburger with more cheese on the outside than the inside and a packet of limpdick fries which again were barely warm...Sorry mr Mcdonald but you lost a customer for life....Burger king, drop your over inflated prices you robbing basteds !!!

Comment

Most McDonald's are run under separate franchises, so perhaps if you went to a different branch, the food might have been a bit better? I can't really explain, but there is a bit of difference between the burgers when it comes to which Nottingham outlet one orders them from - Clumber Street is the best, probably as it was Nottingham's first McDonald's.

I do notice that some of the cheese sticks to the packaging, and I try to pick it off to eat it. I haven't had fries for a few years - I admit that they can go hard and stale very quickly, and sometimes when a bit burnt it can be like eating Twiglets.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I find that if you use the self serve panels to order a custom burger it will be fresher than one that's been hanging around for hours.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

So i was in muckdonalds yesterday and it was orrible!....A barely warm cheeseburger with more cheese on the outside than the inside and a packet of limpdick fries which again were barely warm...Sorry mr Mcdonald but you lost a customer for life....Burger king, drop your over inflated prices you robbing basteds !!!
                              Another thing is the constant din...why can't people eat without talking in a loud fashion?...and the racket behind the serving counter is unbearable with everybody shouting to each other along with the alarms and timers used in the prep area, just awful !

Comment

Indeed - it is regarded to be rude if one talks when eating, but then again, how does one say that something is delicious or horrible when they eat the food? - I bet that not many of our famous food critics have ever been inside a McDonalds (hence the takeaways).

The staff behind the counter are a lot more noisy than the customers (or guests as they sometimes call Mr and Mrs Public), but that is mostly due to the machines whizzing along in the background. Occasionally, one hears something like "more fries" for the fryer, and so on.

Another thing about McDonald's is that unlike the old days of just ordering, after one orders now of course, one gets a receipt with a three digit order number on - 057 or something. Now, despite it being a three digit number, as soon as it goes to 099 it goes back to 000 again - the first digit will always be 0, which makes me think, why just have a two digit number? Reminds me of the "order number 768, to your Collection Point, please" catchphrase that one heard inside Argos back in the 2000s.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X