Jeannie or Samantha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeannie or Samantha?

So who was your favourite--Jeannie or Samantha? Jeannie is, of course, the female genie from I Dream of Jeannie, played by Barbara Eden, while Samantha Stevens is the witch from Bewitched, played by Elizabeth Montgomery.

Both shows were rivals, though Bewitched had the longer run, starting prior to I Dream of Jeannie and lasting after its cancellation. Both have been shown many times over the decades on British TV, my earliest recollection being from the early 70s.

So Jeannie was usually seen in her harem costume, and very fetching it was, but transformed into ordinary clothes when out and about with her master, astronaut Tony Nelson. Being the mid-late 60s, Jeannie would wear mini-skirts quite a bit when not in her genie attire. She has a kind of naive innocence that I thought was rather appealing. It was obvious that she worshiped Nelson, but her inexperience of modern life meant she often took people literally, causing unintential havoc with her magic. She was very jealous of other women to whom Nelson seemed to be attracted, and wrecked not a few budding romances.

Samantha Stevens was married to advertising executive Darrin, who did not like her to use her magic. Like Jeannie, Samantha often wore mini-skirts day-to-day, but had no witch costume. Samantha's mother, Endora, was a frequent visitor, and she often plotted to undermine Darrin as she did not approve of Samantha's marriage to a normal human. In later series, Samantha and Darrin had children, and daughter Tabatha was often part of the storylines as she grew up.

Now, as to my favourite. Well, I loved both series and still do. I think Bewitched probably had the better scripts, though that's not to say those of I Dream of Jeannie were in any way bad, but Bewitched seemed a tad more adult in nature. But as to the question Jeannie or Samantha. If I had the choice of being Tony Nelson or Darrin Stevens, it would be the former. How cool would it be to be an astronaut? Plus, your very own gorgeous genie, who was absolutely crazy about you and would fulfill your every wish and desire. Having said that, being Darrin wouldn't exactly be a chore, again having a beautiful witch as your partner, but that came with putting up with Endora as a mother-in-law.

So, who is your favourite?

Re: Jeannie or Samantha?

I got lost as a kid, i was about 6-7 years old and i was spotted crying by a lady who took me home and phoned the police. My overriding memory of this was that the lady calmed me down with a glass of vimto and sat me down in front of the telly.... I dream of Jeannie was on and i was so engrossed that i had forgotten i was lost and in a strangers house
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I only saw some episodes when Channel 4 shown it in the mid to late 1990s - I often confuse the series with Bewitched.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I may have said this before but I kinda got them both mixed up .. they sorta morphed into one beautiful women

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Samantha from bewitched I never watched I dream of Jeannie

Comment

Jeannie or Samantha?

Comment

Working...
            X