Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sandwich fillings

Default sandwich fillings

The Earl of Sandwich had the right idea when he decided to make a snack for himself all those years ago - use up two slices of bread before they go stale, add something tasty in between and combine them together. Of course, I originally thought when I was younger that the area of Sandwich in Kent was named after the sandwich itself and not the other way round.

When I was younger, it was basically cheese and tomato, and occasionally we used the Breville sandwich toaster to turn it into something really tasty. The cheese could be one of those Kraft Singles cheese slices (do they still make them?) or Dairylea slices. Boots brand sandwiches are always seem to be aimed at the Weight Watchers market of those more used to slimming. Cannot stand any sandwich with egg in them - not for me, I am afraid. My sister even tried to put some Walkers Crisps between two slices of bread which still sounds bizarre even now.

Last year, because of the Royal theme of Harry and Meghan's wedding, I tried a coronation chicken sandwich and I just loved it - it's now my favourite sandwich filling and I always look for it in Tesco or doing my online shopping. I stopped at a service station on my way to my birthday trip to Bournemouth and they had a small M&S, and so I was delighted that they had their own brand of coronation chicken sandwiches - kept me going until my destination. I don't know whether Greggs do coronation chicken but they should do - I was in a Greggs a few weeks ago and got one of their cheese in a cob sandwiches.

What is your favourite combination of food that you put between two slices of bread? - or even a baguette or cob? And is it the bread or the filling that is tastier?
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Default Re: sandwich fillings

Crispy bacon and tommy sauce.

Sandwiches aren't as big in Australia as the UK. I miss going into Boots and staring at their marvelous sandwich wall at lunch times. The All Day Breakfast one we used to call "Sandwich of the Gods" as that thing filled you up all day. That, a bag of crisps and a bottle of coke used to be about 2pound 25pence when I last got them.

On my travels back home, I always pop into Boots to see if they still have as big a selection, Woking seemed to be the biggest from memory.

My fave sandwich is grated cheese with branston pickle on brown bread, that's what i usually make for my dinner at work.

I love sammidges! Damn I'm hungry, now!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

My favourite sarnie is cheese and marmite.

Liked it as a kid and still liking now 55 years on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pussywillow View Post
    My favourite sarnie is cheese and marmite.

Liked it as a kid and still liking now 55 years on.
    I've never tried Marmite, the thick black texture puts me off. I did try Marmite flavour crisps though once and they were quite nice.

Did anyone develop a craving for sandwiches on a Saturday lunchtime as a result of watching The Sandwich Quiz on No. 73?
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Luncheon meat or cheese slices are nice

Spam on Warburtons wholemeal bread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sliced corn beef with a touch of HP sauce on Warburtons wholemeal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro