Music - Bands .. that age well !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music - Bands .. that age well !!

So I just caught a bit of the West End Girls on one of the music channels on Sky ...

Can’t help wondering why (in my opinion) bands like Pet Shop Boys and Adam & the Ants seem to sound so fresh and relevant/ current ??

A lot of my other fave stuff just leaves me cold as it’s so dated ..

I’m kinda obsessed with Years & Years who remind me so much of PSB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Music - Bands .. that age well !!

Any band that would feel not just modern but ahead of their time would certainly count. Queen and ELO are two of them which I would count as aging well - after Freddie Mercury's death, the 1991 rerelease of Bohemian Rhapsody still sounded fresh. Status Quo could be another example. Also, a long stint of many years in the charts with so many hits is a sign of aging well - the Bee Gees started in the 1960s and were still going in the 1980s right through the disco era of the 1970s.

I can't really imagine the Beatles being as prominent in the charts in the 1980s as they would have done so in the 1960s if they had stayed together - not because of Lennon's death in 1980 of course, but I have always thought of them as being as 1960s as pop music could get - they would have been sub-Wings because of McCartney and all that. I cannot imagine it myself.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I think the Beatles would still be as massive .. so many reasons but the song quality alone

Comment

I always think of McCartney's solo stuff, and his stint with Wings as being separate from the Beatles.

What I have noticed that the Bee Gees have managed to transfer very easily from one genre to each other throughout the years - they sounded very 1960s when they started; by the mid 1970s they easily developed into the disco genre and more or less became the British (even if they did come from the Isle of Man) answer to the Stylistics - and they were still going in the late 1980s, in order words they covered so many genres in 20 years in the pace of how music had changed.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
          I always think of McCartney's solo stuff, and his stint with Wings as being separate from the Beatles.

What I have noticed that the Bee Gees have managed to transfer very easily from one genre to each other throughout the years - they sounded very 1960s when they started; by the mid 1970s they easily developed into the disco genre and more or less became the British (even if they did come from the Isle of Man) answer to the Stylistics - and they were still going in the late 1980s, in order words they covered so many genres in 20 years in the pace of how musical had changed.
          Not bad for three young car thieving brothers from Manchester

Well, that’s what a program said about them not long ago .. could be complete nonsense..

The program suggested they were getting up to all kinds of mischief then the parents up sticks and went to Australia ( I think )

Comment

I wouldn't know about it - what I do know is that they had had high voices for adult men.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              I wouldn't know about it - what I do know is that they had had high voices for adult men.
              You surely knew about their songs / melodies ?

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                You surely knew about their songs / melodies ?
                I know of them.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I liked Oasis as i was growing up, plus All Saints, i also like some 80s music too.

Comment

So I just caught a bit of the West End Girls on one of the music channels on Sky ...

Can’t help wondering why (in my opinion) bands like Pet Shop Boys and Adam & the Ants seem to sound so fresh and relevant/ current ??

A lot of my other fave stuff just leaves me cold as it’s so dated ..

I’m kinda obsessed with Years & Years who remind me so much of PSB

I'm kinda more a prog rock fan which has not been relevant for 40 years many bands like YES,GENESIS,TULL and so on got knocked on there asses when punk came along and serious music was suddenly out of favour. It recovered to some degree but as i said it is far less relevant than the prog heyday of the 1970s but this wont stop me listening to it.
                    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                      I'm kinda more a prog rock fan which has not been relevant for 40 years many bands like YES,GENESIS,TULL and so on got knocked on there asses when punk came along and serious music was suddenly out of favour. It recovered to some degree but as i said it is far less relevant than the prog heyday of the 1970s but this wont stop me listening to it.
                      I loved YES ... I recall playing a (triple) album over and over again .. then they had one album that reached crazy heights of popularity..

Comment

I loved YES ... I recall playing a (triple) album over and over again .. then they had one album that reached crazy heights of popularity..

The album you refer to Z is Yessongs and i suspect you also refer to "going for the one" which featured the hit "wonderous stories".....Two brilliant albums!

Comment

I would say queens music has aged well.

I often wonder had freddy been alive now how a lot of people who didnt know there music would do so.

I do think the new bohemian rhapsody film has helped people discover them.

Cant believe its near 30 yrs since he went.

I also did like freddys solo stuff he did montserrat caballe.

A lot of songs i like from chicago cindi lauper etc.

For a long time decades she refused to sing are u good enough from the goonies but her fans finally convinced her to do so.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Love Queen, saw them in 76, just got back from Majorca where we saw a very good tribute...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                              The album you refer to Z is Yessongs and i suspect you also refer to "going for the one" which featured the hit "wonderous stories".....Two brilliant albums!
                              Yes !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X