TSB School Bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSB School Bank

I recall that the TSB bank had a presence at my secondary school. You could get an application form and open an account, and receive a paying-in book and proper bank book via post. Then, one morning a week, you could go to a room in the school and pay money into your account. A couple of responsible and trusted older pupils took in the money and the slip from your paying-in book. I don't remember when this all started, but I opened my account around October 1974, when I was in year 2. If you wanted your bank book brought up to date, you had to take it to the local high street branch. I had that account for many years and it taught me about saving and not spending what you couldn't afford, something that I think is a lesson as valuable today as it has always been. Was this something that happened at other schools?

Re: TSB School Bank

In my secondary school it was actually Yorkshire Bank (are they still going?) who represented our school bank. I never had a bank account with either of them, but I assume that pupils could save up for various things and were presumably rewarded for good work and all that. The Senior Teacher (that was his title) was responsible for it. I think it disappeared by the time I was in Years 10 and 11. Mind you, the currency at Junior School was more like marbles rather than money.

I just assume it was there to educate the pupils about money, saving and spending in a PSHE way - I know that Yorkshire Bank was rather like the TSB during its "bank that likes to say yes" era, (and probably Midland's "Griffin" era as well) of the 1980s with student schemes galore and all that - that is how my sister joined the TSB's Jeans Scheme in the first place, circa 1986 - remember that?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Re: TSB School Bank

My Junior school probably also had some sort of bank thing as well - probably something where one would have to save stamps, Green Shield-alike in order to buy things. Very vague memory I know.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
      X