No announcement yet.

Sports Idol/Hero's when you grew up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sports Idol/Hero's when you grew up?

Kevin Keegan.

I'd grown up hating football, I had no brothers and Dad supported some team called York City, so football was not something I ever watched.

Then I shared a room at boarding school with a scouser called Chris, and she had a Kevin Keegan poster on her wall - from that time on I was a Liverpool fan, and I still support them now - I discovered that football was not boring

Comment

my heroes were two one for football george best i idolised the man i rember trying to get his autograph at the dell southampton in late 60s early sixties he was surounded by coppers and two ivan mauger what can one say 7 times world champ and a gold plated 500cc jawa

Comment

In the 70s I was a tennis fanatic (still am) and my hero was Bjorn Borg.

I went to Wimbledon with my school in 1975 and was standing watching a match on an outside court
        . Borg suddenly appeared and sat on the chair right in front of me!

I collected a loose hair from his shoulder without him noticing, but sadly lost it somewhere. :cry:
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Dennis Tueart. Unfortunately, his overhead kick against Newcastle United has subjected me to 33 years of torment since.
          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Steve 'Knocker' Norton - Rugby League Legend , Kevin Keegan , and Brendan Foster

Comment

Evel Kneivel was my all time sports hero!

Comment

Alex Higgins. My dad bought me a tiny snooker table for my bedroom and I played all the time when I was a kid. No good at snooker now, but I'm a pretty good two-beers-in player at pool.

The other would probably be Nigel Mansell, until he defected to IndyCar...
                Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Trevor Brooking, Glenn Hoddle, Liam Brady, any other midfield flair player. It's where I played, so I wanted to be like them. Less Liam Brady, more old lady unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by ridski View Post
                    Alex Higgins. My dad bought me a tiny snooker table for my bedroom and I played all the time when I was a kid. No good at snooker now, but I'm a pretty good two-beers-in player at pool.

The other would probably be Nigel Mansell, until he defected to IndyCar...

Interestingly my brother had one of those Pot Black tables, which we would play a lot on.

I used to annoy my brother by attempting to do a Ted Lowe style commentry as he was lining up a tricky shot.

We both followed Formula 1 very closely when Nigel Mansell was in it, I didn't mind it when he went Indycar Racing (& won the series on his first attempt), but he lost a bit of respect by trying to go back into F1 & giving up because after a couple of races. This was quite surprising, because when I read his autobiography a few years ago it was a real struggle to get to the top, with plenty of bad smashes & near bankrupcy on the way.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Football:

Gazza
                      Beardsley
                      Klinnsmann
                      Calyton Blackmore (no idea about that one)
                      Mark Beaney (again very strange one)
                      Sheringham

Wrestling:

Legion of Doom
                      The Mounty (strange)
                      Raven

F1:

M.Schumacher

Comment

Daley Thompson. He was my BIG hero. I even wrote to Lucozade telling them that if they didn't send me the poster of the Lucozade advert with him on it then I would vandalise the local bus stop in an attempt to liberate it!!

They sent it.

I got to meet him at Kris Akabusi's retirement party and was immediately struck by what a scruffbag he looked. He was wearing a dinner jacket and tracksuit bottoms. Not a good look but starstruck all the same and he was dead funny. I met Sir Roger Bannister that night too (amongst many others - but they were the main HERO ones!!)
                        "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                        sigpic

Comment

My sports idol was Eric Gates, playing for my beloved Ipswich Town. I met him at Hillsborough and got his autograph and told him to score. He did score - twice and we drew the game with Sheff Weds 2:2.
                          Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Also idolised England's fast bowler Bob Willis. I was a demon fast bowler at school and have made many a batsman tremble at the crease (no smutty remarks please) in both the school and house cricket teams. I even based my bowling style on Bob Willis, carried the ball like him on the run-up, the actual bowling action, etc.

I used to love playing cricket - but couldn't bat to save my life. Now I'm just too old and fat :cry:!
                            Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Barry John played rugby for Wales British Lions, he retired in 1972 age 27,he was lush

Comment

Cyrille Regis by a long shot.
                                I was really made up when I got to meet him

Last edited by chrisredditch; 04-09-2009, 20:50. Reason: space inserted
                                I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

Working...
                                X